• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Soldato
This, good people, should be your wake up call.

OcUK already hinting that the margin isn't sufficient to sell at AMD's RRP.

For those of you thinking that the 4gb will be <£200, and the 8gb <£215, I'd suggest revising your pricing expectations waaaaay higher.

OcUK will not be selling these cards a) at cost, b) with tiny margins.
That's not what he said at all. We knew the 4GB was the $199 card, not the 8GB.

Soldato
If that leak is true then that doesn't look too bad.
My R9 290 overclocked to 1115/1500 got 10982 last time I ran Firestrike.

They're saying the RX480 system got 11983. Now assuming my system is not massively discrepant from what they used to test and my R9 290 overclocked was similar to an R9 290X/390X or perhaps a little faster, then that's a bit faster again, just shy of 10%, and that's before any overclocking headroom is considered, which if the 1500MHz+ rumours are true, could put this score up by around 20%.

Obviously no idea what the test spec is...but still. I'd be happy with that if it was around £200, ran cooler/quieter/lower power and overclocked as well :)

Last edited:
Associate
The Firestrike and game scores aren't close to matching up, plus they're using the Doom 3 box art for the Doom benchmark. Not too sure about that one.

Soldato
Those scores put it around... GTX960?

Something's not right there.

The firestrike scores are way faster than my r9 290 which is around 290x performance at stock. My score is around 10000 on normal Firestrike. My cpu probably holds my score back a bit but not to much. I don't know about the game benchmarks though. Remember the 480 was shown by AMD running Hitman at 1440p at a constant 60fps. So i don't know what was going on there.

Soldato
The firestrike scores are way faster than my r9 290 which is around 290x performance at stock. My score is around 10000 on normal Firestrike. My cpu probably holds my score back a bit but not to much.

That's what I mean, my 2700K at 4.89GHz and R9 290@1115/1500 was scoring just shy of 11k, so if it's scoring just shy of 12K at stock, then providing the CPU isn't crazy, that does suggest performance could be pretty good for ~£200-250.

The game scores look low, but could be poor pre-release drivers with loads of test code left running or other such reasoning?
We'll need to see what release reviews look like I guess!

Soldato
That's what I mean, my 2700K at 4.89GHz and R9 290@1115/1500 was scoring just shy of 11k, so if it's scoring just shy of 12K at stock, then providing the CPU isn't crazy, that does suggest performance could be pretty good.

The game scores look low, but could be poor pre-release drivers with loads of test code left running or other such reasoning?
We'll need to see what release reviews look like I guess!

Maybe (is it?) AOTS is in 1080p and the other 2 games are 1440p?

Associate
As other mentioned, the Firestrike score puts it basically slap-bang on a reference (or mildly clocked) GTX 980.

But then the game scores are worse than an R9 380X.

So...fake? Or misprint of 1920x1080? Although even at 2560x1440 the figures would be bad.

Caporegime
In past reviews of amd cards the 3d mark score was elevated above the competition whereas the game performance was lower than expected, might be the same thing here.

Associate
What about 4k?

4K would then be a little too good, it would make it 980 Ti territory.

In past reviews of amd cards the 3d mark score was elevated above the competition whereas the game performance was lower than expected, might be the same thing here.

Except it would mean AMD had got even worse than that. There's no way the difference would be as bad as GTX 980 in synthetic, but slower than R9 380X in real life.

Something is fishy here.

Soldato

Nvidia cards are strong in Firestrike and have been since it's release. Gaming is where AMD have been strong in the last year or since Gameworks started having less effect on there cards. A 390x can match a gtx980 in gaming but not in Firestrike. This is probably due to the overclocking ability of the gtx980 though.

Soldato
Maybe cause they are probably fake?? Maybe they are legit. Who knows??

Do the slides look anything like AMD slides from any launch??

The numbers on the firestrike tests look a lot like the numbers Videocardz released. These could just be some really nice fakes. We all have seen that it can run doom at 1440p 60fps as that's what they demoed at computex. The settings were unknown though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah having looked something is not matching up here. The synthetic benchmarks put it at gtx 980, but the framerates shown are too low for FHD and QHD and too high for 4k.

Back
Top Bottom