• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

970 when launched was at least $100 more expensive

If anything AMD brought down the 970 price

They made a card that will be superior to the 970

Reference 980 ti beating card for 199 dollar ... Expecting that is indeed nuts

It was £280 and up, AIB 480's are expected to be about £250 to £300.

I didn't say 980TI beating card, i said i expected the more expensive AIB cards to be around Fury-Nano performance and overclock to 980TI performance.

You guys taking the **** out of humbug... you really want a 14nm 970 for the price that the 970 has been for at least 6 months (last time I looked it was ~£240)

So you're just happy to have an AMD-badged 970. No progress necessary, just a non-nVidia 970, thank you very much AMD for this "great success".

So if people argue that a 970 is still good, that is fine by you

And If AMD releases a possible 970 beating card with newer technology with more RAM for a better price all of a sudden that is bad ?

Get real

What is nuts is AMD could have ended the NDA for reviews a couple of weeks back and ended all this nonsense. it never makes sense to have reviews go out on the day of sale, just leads to so much confusion.

You did not speak of AIB cards in this context

I didn't say 980TI beating card, i said i expected the more expensive AIB cards to be around Fury-Nano performance and overclock to 980TI performance.

You said

Pepole accused me of being nuts for sugesting it might be Fury-Nano perforamce and possibly overclock to refrence 980TI performance.

Again You did not speak of AIB cards ..above is the actual quote

Stop making things up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LvP-SifoCo

Witcher 3 on the 480 apparently, same guy

If someone can replicate that on a comparable card and post it we can get the performance comparison for that game at least.

Whose up for it?

I would but don't have the game.
Sure, just ran it.

Everything on/max except

Hairworks AA - 0
Hairworks level - low
Water Quality - high
Grass Density - high
Shadow Quality - high
Blur - off
Ambient Occlusion - SSAO
Chromatic Aberration and Vignette - off

I'm running:

MSI GTX970 Gaming at stock clock
i5 3570k @ 4.2Ghz
8GB of 1600Mhz DDR3
And I have the exact same 1TB WD Blue harddrive he's using.

Running around Velen like in the video I'm getting between 65-70fps, with occasional drops to the low 60's. Couldn't get it below 60fps no matter what I tried.

So I'd say the 480 is definitely not performing very well here at the moment. Dont know where people are getting that it's 980 level performance going by that vid, it's not even matching my 970.

Last edited:

No, they are not, you are making up numbers to make it sound bad.

Once again in what world will the RX480 suddenly be the same price in pounds as dollars when this is true for absolutely no other products on OCUK including the 1080/1070/980ti/etc.

RX480 reference is around £200, not £230, and the AIBs will be likely from £220-260, adding £40 on because you feel like it is incredibly disingenuous.

There is nothing making people buy, well, the stupid Asus overclocked card at £260 when you can get an effectively identical card from a manufacturer that doesn't randomly ask for more money at £230.

Look at 1080 pricing and where an Asus stock but custom cooled card is compared to a MSI overclocked or stock custom cooled card is. Very little reason to believe an equally capable great overclocking great cooled card won't be available for £230. ALso not much reason to believe(again look at 1080 reference vs 3rd party) that the £205 reference cards won't overclock well themselves or be cooled well.

What is nuts is AMD could have ended the NDA for reviews a couple of weeks back and ended all this nonsense. it never makes sense to have reviews go out on the day of sale, just leads to so much confusion.

Except of course, if the NDA ended 2 weeks ago, the cards would have to go out 2 weeks earlier, and this thread would have started 2 weeks earlier and all the same posts would be here... but 2 weeks earlier. :rolleyes:

So if people argue that a 970 is still good, that is fine by you

And If AMD releases a possible 970 beating card with newer technology with more RAM for a better price all of a sudden that is bad ?

Get real

The 480 has the 970 on how much frame buffer it has but its a weak argument.

The 480 would have been a great card to compete with the 970 when the 970 was lauchned, AMD may not have lost as much market share to it as they did.

Now its too little too late.

Different approach indeed. I am curious to learn how those with review samples are looking at it all with so much debate and general interest surrounding it. Sure has caused a stir but will it deliver or suck is part of the attraction/interest perhaps.

AMD can't be blamed for adults behaving like hysterical bed-wetting children.

It just might:
http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-1500mhz-overclocking-tool-voltage-2/#ixzz4CPD5bzuU

wccftech said:
We got a good one for you today. We shared the impressive performance figures for AMD’s reference designed RX 480 4GB & 8GB cards just a couple of days ago, both of which came out ahead of the R9 Nano & GTX 980.

The 480 has the 970 on how much frame buffer it has but its a weak argument.

The 480 would have been a great card to compete with the 970 when the 970 was lauchned, AMD may not have lost as much market share to it as they did.

Now its too little too late.

Why

You yourself said

worst case its as fat that 390 and overclocks 10%, for $200 thats still one hell of a card

So what is it ?

please dont post those, it will be the savior card all over again...

Now, all of these are just meaningless numbers without a performance comparison. So to put it all into perspective, an overclocked RX 480 will actually perform within striking distance of AMD’s current R9 Fury X flagship. At less than one third of the cost. If that’s not a good enough point to end on, I don’t know what is. It certainly looks like AMD may have hit a home run with its 14nm Polaris graphics chips.

Last edited:
Sure, just ran it.

Everything on/max except

Hairworks AA - 0
Hairworks level - low
Water Quality - high
Grass Density - high
Shadow Quality - high
Blur - off
Ambient Occlusion - SSAO
Chromatic Aberration and Vignette - off

I'm running:

MSI GTX970 Gaming at stock clock
i5 3570k @ 4.2Ghz
8GB of 1600Mhz DDR3
And I have the exact same 1TB WD Blue harddrive he's using.

Running around Velen like in the video I'm getting between 65-70fps, with occasional drops to the low 60's. Couldn't get it below 60fps no matter what I tried.

So I'd say the 480 is definitely not performing very well here at the moment. Dont know where people are getting that it's 980 level performance going by that vid, it's not even matching my 970.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom