• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Associate
So as far am I'm aware nobody knows what this card is going to be like until the 29th June. I've read all sorts from it being less than a 390 to a 980 spanker when overclocked. I shall make my mind up on the 29th June when the reviews come out, but it has my interest at its current price point and it will be nice to play with an AMD after so many years of Nvidia cards.

Caporegime
Soldato
So as far am I'm aware nobody knows what this card is going to be like until the 29th June. I've read all sorts from it being less than a 390 to a 980 spanker when overclocked. I shall make my mind up on the 29th June when the reviews come out, but it has my interest at its current price point and it will be nice to play with an AMD after so many years of Nvidia cards.

You talk sense...

Caporegime
Except of course, if the NDA ended 2 weeks ago, the cards would have to go out 2 weeks earlier, and this thread would have started 2 weeks earlier and all the same posts would be here... but 2 weeks earlier. :rolleyes:

No, this thread would have started at the same time when AMD launched the card, there would be a couple of weeks of this thread and then reviews posted to end the arguments and then time for people to decide what they want to buy on the 29th. What AMD have done now is just stupid. Of course if they weren't ready to send reviewers cards 2 weeks ago then they could have waited on their announcement.

Associate
Surely for a living room media centre a nano would be a better bet? Granted it's around £150 dearer, but I have one in my small build machine and love them to bits! I really think AMD should have released the Nano at it's current price! The card is awesome and would have done really well:(

Coil whine in a media centre, no thanks.

Associate
That was before i realised $200 was actually $200 wholesale, it will actually end up £200 retail for the 4GB refrence one, or more.

Just when i thought it could not get any more nonsensical you come up with this

So they will not be selling at 199 dollars in the US ?

It doesn't matter what they sell for here in this context

remember you said

worst case its as fat that 390 and overclocks 10%, for $200 thats still one hell of a card

So its a good card in the US and not in the UK ?

Caporegime
Last edited:

DPB

DPB

Associate
I don't know where this $=£ is coming from, none of AMD's card have been that price. The last two cards they released weren't (Pro Duo and 380X), nor were the rest of the 300 series. Here's a review with UK and US launch prices for Sapphire's 380, 390 and 390X.

380 4GB $220/£180
390 $340/£270
390X $430/£350

Associate
yeah read that, plenty of other articles like that, its what made me think "It might" but apparently its over hype.

That was before i realised $200 was actually $200 wholesale, it will actually end up £200 retail for the 4GB refrence one, or more.

Before you assumed $200 meant £300 you mean? :D And before you assumed slower than 980Ti meant slower than 970?

Associate
yeah read that, plenty of other articles like that, its what made me think "It might" but apparently its over hype.

ffs how many times do I have to break it down for you......4g will not be 200 unless people are gouging....

199 dollars to pounds today is 133.76; so channel price should be roughly 145 +VAT.....that's 174 - so at max 4g should be 190 any higher is price gouging.....

229 is msrg price - so 229 today 154.69 - someone said earlier channel price is 169 + vat *channel prices already have profit built into them also* that's 202.8 - so at the very max we'll see 8g ref 220 - even at 220 that's a bit of a gouge.

they really should between 210-220 at max for the ref cards......

Caporegime
Thats wholesale not retail, Gibbo paid over $200 for the 8GB refrence, about 40 or 50 pages back there is a wholesale screenshot of another. ^^^

Oh crap no. like SLI CF does not work, the plot lost.

Well done, you're getting even worse. The 4870 at the time had no directly higher card in the series. We already know two Vega cores with HBM2 are coming in, seemingly one maybe sooner rather than later and the other hopefully Q1 next year.

How blind do you have to be to pick CF and not making higher cores as the thing to focus on from that old review when you know for a fact that isn't the case. In any comparison AMD make to the 4870, it's the only one you know couldn't be the one they meant.

Soldato
It's certainly going to be hard for Nvidia to 'win' in this price range, but this is setting expectations quite high with the reference they're bringing up.

Also, to be impactful, I'd say this needs to make a proper splash. AMD have been 'winning' the price/performance battle in the $200-250 range for years now and it hasn't helped much. Certainly putting the 480 up front and center with the introduction of the node shrunk GPU's we've all been waiting for for years will certainly help get the 480 more attention than the 280 and 380 and whatnot before it. But if they want a decisive swipe of the marketshare, they need to really deliver something a bit more special.

Fingers crossed.

Soldato
ffs how many times do I have to break it down for you......4g will not be 200 unless people are gouging....

199 dollars to pounds today is 133.76; so channel price should be roughly 145 +VAT.....that's 174 - so at max 4g should be 190 any higher is price gouging.....

229 is msrg price - so 229 today 154.69 - someone said earlier channel price is 169 + vat *channel prices already have profit built into them also* that's 202.8 - so at the very max we'll see 8g ref 220 - even at 220 that's a bit of a gouge.

they really should between 210-220 at max for the ref cards......

He is trolling on purpose now - AMD hints the card is another HD4850/HD4870 in the making,and the link is to the small die page of the launch(this card is small die too).

Then he goes on a tangent about XFire.

Soldato
See what I mean about desperate/deluded people clinging to a tinfoil theory & repeating it until it becomes fact to them... now we're supposed to believe AMD is putting out crap numbers on purpose. :confused: :rolleyes:

Thankfully most people ITT have common sense. :cool:

Soldato
As soon as NVIDIA launch the 1060, things will change at the $200 price range IMO. Not hard for AMD to win at that price point, when NVIDIA have no pascal competition there yet.

Soldato
Some people still treating this like it is a high-end card and saying DOOOOOOOOoooooommmmmm.....

The 970 is still a 270+ dollar card. The 480 is 199, and is 'likely' to beat it by a fair margin from all accounts. The 980 I see listed cheap prices about 370+ dollars.

Would people please take their head out their butts and realize this is just natural progression. A cheaper card, that performs better with more features, for less money.

Performance is not assured yet of course.

Caporegime
I have a sneaky feeling the 480 will be 980 speed, but ive been wrong before but I cant help thinking maybe if the 970 had 8gb ram it would have been a bigger seller than it was

No reason it can't be, even with a mild OC. AMD'S crimson drivers bought DX11 performance up nicely and showed some significant gains across the board, so I am expecting it to beat the 980 in a few games at least.

Back
Top Bottom