• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII a win or fail?

Associate
Win or Fail, hard to say for me, we get 2080 performance for 2080 moniez. And for me the price of today's gpu's is already a bit madness. I would have like to have seen the radeon chop a bit of the memory off come to the table with 2080 speed for a hundred less a make it a winner.

Then again i think time has also proved the it don't really matter if AMD have a better product people still by Nvidia regardless.
(If the next gen console have 16gb tho we might have a different story and all that ram will come into use)
(Also $699 is £539.75 today so £700 is just a smashing of a rip)

Associate
Win or Fail, hard to say for me, we get 2080 performance for 2080 moniez. And for me the price of today's gpu's is already a bit madness. I would have like to have seen the radeon chop a bit of the memory off come to the table with 2080 speed for a hundred less a make it a winner.

Then again i think time has also proved the it don't really matter if AMD have a better product people still by Nvidia regardless.
(If the next gen console have 16gb tho we might have a different story and all that ram will come into use)
(Also $699 is £539.75 today so £700 is just a smashing of a rip)

You've forgotten to add VAT

Caporegime
I was vilified for buying a 1080ti 18 months from release for £599

Now Radeon 7 hits offering the same performance as 2 year old 1080ti costing more and people are justifying it.

Radeon 7 is fail.... Its like all your AMD guys just being grateful for anything from AMD on the GFX front.

Its a noisey power hungry card that offers lack lustre performance for the cost. Just like the 2080....

Associate
I was vilified for buying a 1080ti 18 months from release for £599

Now Radeon 7 hits offering the same performance as 2 year old 1080ti costing more and people are justifying it.

Radeon 7 is fail.... Its like all your AMD guys just being grateful for anything from AMD on the GFX front.

Its a noisey power hungry card that offers lack lustre performance for the cost. Just like the 2080....

I feel the VII is more future proof, 16g HBM2 isn't cheap, it will get better. RTX its self is a way of Nvidia lowering IQ at 4k to maintain frame rates with AI pixel peeping with there own version of DLS what it should look like via Ai
the VII might fall back to £599 or something like that but not if its expensive to produce. the RTX 2080 and 1080ti trade blows with the VII and the VII has a very steady frame rate. its not a fail its the best card AMD do
and its peoples choice to buy or not.

one thing for sure the 2080ti is not worth it. must be real annoying to have one a week for it to fail for RMA on such an expensive card.

Associate
same conclusion I drew right from the get go, but the nvidia marketing hype machine is winning over facts as usual

As a multi decade A/V enthusiast, I'm not one to dismiss scalers. They can range heavily from poor (entry level built into TV version) to very high end external units that can do a great job of treating the source material.

So it's not a foregone conclusion that DLSS or another tech in the future won't be able to produce something that's perceptibly indifferent to the human eye. The onus on nvidia to prove to us that DLSS is that technology.

Associate
i have a amd gpu i think the 1080 ti was a good card better than the rtx gpu ithink the radeon 7 will be ok when the drivers are stored but the price is a rip off for both cards

Caporegime
I feel the VII is more future proof, 16g HBM2 isn't cheap, it will get better. RTX its self is a way of Nvidia lowering IQ at 4k to maintain frame rates with AI pixel peeping with there own version of DLS what it should look like via Ai

You mean DLSS not RTX?

I dont see how you say Rad7 is more future proof when its got the same grunt as a 1080ti....Is the 1080 ti more future proof over the 2080 as its got 11GB ram?

the VII might fall back to £599 or something like that but not if its expensive to produce. the RTX 2080 and 1080ti trade blows with the VII and the VII has a very steady frame rate. its not a fail its the best card AMD do
and its peoples choice to buy or not.

one thing for sure the 2080ti is not worth it. must be real annoying to have one a week for it to fail for RMA on such an expensive card.

It wont drop to 599 as AMD are not makiing hardly any money on the Rad7

My point is people can buy what they want but dont say the 1080ti is a poor buy one minute then say the Rad7 is a great card in the next minute...when both offer the same grunt.

Associate
You mean DLSS not RTX?

I dont see how you say Rad7 is more future proof when its got the same grunt as a 1080ti....Is the 1080 ti more future proof over the 2080 as its got 11GB ram?

It wont drop to 599 as AMD are not makiing hardly any money on the Rad7

My point is people can buy what they want but dont say the 1080ti is a poor buy one minute then say the Rad7 is a great card in the next minute...when both offer the same grunt.

But you cant buy a 1080ti for £599 any more. unless a used one. the 1080ti at £599 these days not 18 months ago is a great buy, but you cant buy one now for that. 18 months ago a titan XP was £1100
todays prices have gone mad, is RTX titan worth £2400 has it got more memory no. seems the best buys are value for money, RTX2080 in the green camp, and VII in the red camp offer basically the same performance
per £ and to me and some others I think the VII will only get stronger with 16g and HBM2.

18 months ago people said prices were crazy, now they are insane. the GTX 690 was the first card at 1k in the next few years we might see the first 3k titan lol crazy

Permabanned
But you cant buy a 1080ti for £599 any more. unless a used one. the 1080ti at £599 these days not 18 months ago is a great buy, but you cant buy one now for that. 18 months ago a titan XP was £1100
todays prices have gone mad, is RTX titan worth £2400 has it got more memory no. seems the best buys are value for money, RTX2080 in the green camp, and VII in the red camp offer basically the same performance
per £ and to me and some others I think the VII will only get stronger with 16g and HBM2.

18 months ago people said prices were crazy, now they are insane. the GTX 690 was the first card at 1k in the next few years we might see the first 3k titan lol crazy

8800 Ultra's launch price is $829 and that's a 2007 thingie. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-8800-ultra.c195
The GPU is 'only' 484 sq. mm.

Associate
While the Radeon VII has a lot of potential I feel AMD is doing the card a disservice. The card feels rush and very much a stop gap and the launch quantities make it almost a paper launch.
Given where the GPU is coming from I do not see there ever being a great many of them available.

For me while the card may be great AMD is failing to do it justice and as such it is failing it customers.

Soldato
same conclusion I drew right from the get go, but the nvidia marketing hype machine is winning over facts as usual
But you haven't tried it.. Many take more notice of "opinons" than doing some research on the facts about DLSS, how it's implemented what implementing it means :).

Whatever folks believe, it's going to give a massive increase in performance. 25%-40% for no notable decrease in image quality and as many have already noted, BETTER image quality is capable. But of course people then accuse NV of gimping the non DLSS image.
I'll reserve full judgement until I see it for myself but not expecting to be disappointed. I'm not going to be takng screenshots and examining the images with a magnifying glass however, lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
While the Radeon VII has a lot of potential I feel AMD is doing the card a disservice. The card feels rush and very much a stop gap and the launch quantities make it almost a paper launch.
Given where the GPU is coming from I do not see there ever being a great many of them available.

For me while the card may be great AMD is failing to do it justice and as such it is failing it customers.

That's because it is rushed and a stop gap. It would never have seen the light of day if Nvidia hadn't completely naffed up their RTX; ludicrous pricing, zero software supporting RTX, poor RTX performance and zero raster performance improvements over the previous gen were the perfect storm which allowed AMD to repurpose failed MI50 packages into a gaming card. That is why there's no 8GB version (MI50 already has 16GB stacked on it), that is why it uses HBM2 (Vega 20 is designed for HBM2), that is why it's power hungry (presumably the power requirements is what failed the MI50 package to begin with).

There could be a "big" Navi coming this year, there's Arcturus next year and both of these are actually designed to be gaming parts, but right here and right now, AMD could trade blows with the RTX 2080 on paper, and Nvidia opened the door for AMD to push out something to make those napkin maths a reality.

It's just a shame AMD screwed themselves by launching this with naff drivers and right at CNY so nobody's building anything. But then, why make a boat load of these cards if AMD know full well it's a PR stunt? Paper launch for a PR stunt sounds about right, however ****** that is for the consumer. MI50 yields may improve so there's nothing "broken" to repurpose as Radeon 7. Maybe nobody would buy them? At least now AMD will have some idea of demand and can address that once the factories start running after CNY.

Soldato
But you haven't tried it.. Many take more notice of "opinons" than doing some research on the facts about DLSS, how it's implemented what implementing it means :).

Whatever folks believe, it's going to give a massive increase in performance. 25%-40% for no notable decrease in image quality and as many have already noted, BETTER image quality is capable. But of course people then accuse NV of gimping the non DLSS image.
I'll reserve full judgement until I see it for myself but not expecting to be disappointed. I'm not going to be takng screenshots and examining the images with a magnifying glass however, lol.

I have seen it, I build systems for other people every so often and have tested it out. In fact, it's no better than the Reality Creation option I have on my Sony TV which yields a similar result but with 0% performance impact & at any resolution I choose, and not only that but I can use it on anything I want. Furthermore, every GPU in EXISTENCE, and for every game, has the option to reduce resolution and yield a similar result to what DLSS offers. Don't have to wait for nvidia to give me DLSS. Again, these are the facts, but as usual the buzzwords have a firmer grip in people's minds, not in the least because they want to believe the hokum.

"He who has eyes to see, let him see":
https://i.imgur.com/pzrHRO3.png
https://i.imgur.com/2ICAsJr.png
https://i.imgur.com/U53tEAn.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom