• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Associate
But we have no idea what's going to happen because there just isn't any Navi information.

We can, however infer that Navi, at least initially, won't be as fast as the VII. There is no reason they'd have released it only to release a faster card after less than 6 months. AMD would have been praised more for announcing a sanely priced 2080 beating Navi at CES even if they gave a launch date of 6 months time.

Associate
I doubt it, we will see. Also, once the MI50 is on there then there will be no gaming drivers. So it would really be for people looking at high DP throughput on the cheap.

Just have the OS load a custom bios. It can be done with linux and I'm pretty sure Windows would be workable. The security chip can't tell what the OS is running, only what is actually on the onboard bios chip. But since you have the OS loading your own custom bios while the onboard bios remains unchanged the card still thinks everything is A-ok.

They may have fused the DP units or there may be extra resistors...etc on the board also.

If it's just a simple bios fix then that would be pretty nice.

Soldato
Yes Vega is EOL, AMD have now sold everything they built, unfortunately they have no replacement due on the £300-£500 bracket until the VEGA 56/64 Navi Performing parts due late Summer.

But that is why they informed us to stock up as much as possible on VEGA 56/64 as going forward for next six months or so there shall just be 570, 580, 590 and Vega 7, so any reseller who did not stock up on Vega won't have any thing from AMD to sell in the £300 - £500 region.

Though in fairness Vega 56 was never supposed to go sub £300, we just made it happen because Vega 56 at under £300 impacts 590 negatively and 590 is priced correctly as is 580, so Vega 56 needed lifting in price.

I'm a little confused, Vega 7 is meant to be competing with the 2080 which puts it a decent chunk faster than Vega 64 but by the sounds of it Navi will be replacing Vega 7 with roughly the same performance bracket 6 months later ?

Am I missing something ?

Soldato
I'm a little confused, Vega 7 is meant to be competing with the 2080 which puts it a decent chunk faster than Vega 64 but by the sounds of it Navi will be replacing Vega 7 with roughly the same performance bracket 6 months later ?

Am I missing something ?

Naturally i'm not a fortune teller but common sense suggests that Navi will replace Polaris at the low and and Vega will take on the high end until 2020. I expect Navi to be the RX600 series, I can't see AMD replacing Radeon VII this year. After all, Vega 64 lasted what... eighteen months?

Soldato
Naturally i'm not a fortune teller but common sense suggests that Navi will replace Polaris at the low and and Vega will take on the high end until 2020. I expect Navi to be the RX600 series, I can't see AMD replacing Radeon VII this year. After all, Vega 64 lasted what... eighteen months?

True but you never know, They could replace V7 within the same year, Makes buying a difficult choice though as I'm trying to limit myself to 1 major GPU purchase per year :p

Soldato
True but you never know, They could replace V7 within the same year, Makes buying a difficult choice though as I'm trying to limit myself to 1 major GPU purchase per year :p

As someone who is probably going to buy a VII (Linux user so AMD really is the only way to go), i'd be really annoyed if a £700 card was obsoleted the same year as release.

Associate
As someone who is probably going to buy a VII (Linux user so AMD really is the only way to go), i'd be really annoyed if a £700 card was obsoleted the same year as release.
The thing is if VII is a failed MI60 then they might not have a lot of them to sell so a new card 6 months later might be their only option otherwise AMD could lose money on each card so I actually think Navi is a VII replacement

Soldato

Am I missing something ?

Navi is replacing RX 500 and RX Vega, not Radeon 7. But that's based on rumours and suggestions that Navi is a midrange part, nothing has ever been said that Navi would be a high-end part.

But given Radeon 7 is a rushed PR stunt using Instinct packages that would probably have just ended up in the trash, then it's entirely conceivable that it would be replaced in short order once a more viable and sustainable product is available.

Soldato

Am I missing something ?

Here's what the leaks are saying:

Graphics Card / GPU / VRAM / TDP / Performance Class / Price
===================================================
RX 3080 / Navi 10 / 8GB GDDR6 / 150W / Vega 64 +15% / $249
RX 3070 / Navi 12 / 8GB GDDR6 / 120W / Vega 56 / $199
RX 3060 / Navi 12 / 4GB GDDR6 / 75W / RX 580 / $129

Soldato
The thing is if VII is a failed MI60 then they might not have a lot of them to sell so a new card 6 months later might be their only option otherwise AMD could lose money on each card so I actually think Navi is a VII replacement

vendors will get them soon enough , dont think they are as limited as made out to be - though AMD doesn't suffer the mass buy mobs nvidia gets so will work in there favour and not have stock piles left to sell

Soldato
yPYho7HO5RFb_9UkwQTp5M1aR99ZTYplhANla6RFkas.jpg

Soldato
Here's what the leaks are saying:

Graphics Card / GPU / VRAM / TDP / Performance Class / Price
===================================================
RX 3080 / Navi 10 / 8GB GDDR6 / 150W / Vega 64 +15% / $249
RX 3070 / Navi 12 / 8GB GDDR6 / 120W / Vega 56 / $199
RX 3060 / Navi 12 / 4GB GDDR6 / 75W / RX 580 / $129

Vega 64 performance for $250 would be amazing.

Soldato

Yes but tbf prices are the least accurate things to leak because they change so much & so readily. Heck, even if it turns out to be £300-350 a lower TDP V64 would be fantastic. Essentially a cheaper and better RTX 2060 but without the RTX non-sense, and with enough vram for a gpu in 2019. I think a lot of people (including myself) got put off by having to upgrade to a beefier PSU for Vega, so decided to just pass on the impulse to buy one.

Soldato

Yes but tbf prices are the least accurate things to leak because they change so much & so readily. Heck, even if it turns out to be £300-350 a lower TDP V64 would be fantastic. Essentially a cheaper and better RTX 2060 but without the RTX non-sense, and with enough vram for a gpu in 2019.

Although those leaked prices always felt optimistic, I'm starting the think that the source for these either didn't know about Radeon 7, or the prices were determined before AMD knew how underwhelming and expensive RTX would be. Follow me here :p

The latest AdoredTV video alludes to some rushing around inside AMD regarding Radeon 7 in that a couple of consumer Vega 20 SKUs were planned, but cancelled because it wasn't going to be viable. But then when RTX came out and was overpriced nonsense, the opportunity to get back into the game presented itself by repurposing Instinct packages. Whether or not AMD are using stuff that would've ended up in the trash because it didn't make the cut for Instinct, or they're actually digging into MI50 stock is largely irrelevant, but with those packages AMD can trade blows with the RTX 2080. And lo, the Radeon 7 becomes a thing and priced at $699.

So let's say this thought process is legit. It's entirely possible that AMD said to themselves "we're not fighting the top end, so let's be disruptive at the midrange with aggressive pricing" and pitched their Navi 10 RX 3080 at $250 for RX Vega 64 +15% performance. OK, cool, that would be a fantastic card. But now, Radeon 7 is RX Vega 64 +25% performance for $699. There is no way in hell the 10% increase from RX 3080 to Radeon 7 is worth an additional $449. It's too big a jump.

As a related digression, the Navi leaks show 2 products based on a Navi 12 and only 1 based on Navi 10. It's logical to say that the RX 3070 is fully-fledged Navi 12 with the RX 3060 based on a cutdown version. By extension then, it's logical to say that RX 3080 is based on a cut-down Navi 10, thereby leaving a full-fat version waiting in the wings; if the cut-down Navi 10 is RX Vega +15% performance, would the full version be RX Vega 64 +25%? +30%?

So either Radeon 7 is a short-lived product to be replaced by that fully-working Navi 10 at $449, or the 3 Navi cards as leaked get $150 added to their price point to better align them with the Radeon 7's performance and equivalent RTX prices.

Unfortunately the latter is the most likely.

Last edited:
Associate

My understanding is that Navi will replace the Polaris cards. I think the RVII will hold the fort in the high end market until 2020. But who knows, i could be way wrong. To be honest it wouldnt be too bad so long as Navi is around the Vega 56/64 level of performance.

Back
Top Bottom