Ram pricing

Soldato
Thanks good explanation.

Yeh I've realised that about Corsair, shame as apart from one Geil build they have always featured in my Ram slots.

Associate
Yeh I've realised that about Corsair, shame as apart from one Geil build they have always featured in my Ram slots.

I was the same. Corsair were my go to for ram, power supplies and coolers, even cases to be fair but I just don’t think Corsair are the best in any sector anymore...

The thing is they used to be in certain areas and their brand is strong.

Soldato
Prices have being cut for Black Friday, browse the webshop, a 2400MHz 32GB kit is down to £218.99 :)

I was thinking serious price reductions to what they were around a year ago :p. I have 16GB 3200Mhz paired with my Ryzen 1700 currently and don't want to lose that performance if possible.

I am beginning to think it would be cheaper to buy a second hand DDR3 system than a good 32GB kit of DDR4.

Permabanned
I would think that even if the Chinese enter the memory market and force price reductions, the market would still find other components for their speculative price gouging and cartels.
See, subject to price gouging are still 4K monitors, only recently the graphics cards, earlier the HDDs... :rolleyes:

OcUK Staff
I was thinking serious price reductions to what they were around a year ago :p. I have 16GB 3200Mhz paired with my Ryzen 1700 currently and don't want to lose that performance if possible.

I am beginning to think it would be cheaper to buy a second hand DDR3 system than a good 32GB kit of DDR4.

That won't be happening.

Permabanned
That's a real shame. I was hoping in a few months time they would become more reasonable. It blows my mind that memory costs more than most processors just now.

Memory production cannot be costlier than CPUs research & development and other production costs.

It will happen, sooner or later, with or without their willingness.
We won't be staying with DDR4 3000 forever ;)

OcUK Staff
Memory production cannot be costlier than CPUs research & development and other production costs.

It will happen, sooner or later, with or without their willingness.
We won't be staying with DDR4 3000 forever ;)

Look at 2133MHz, is that cheap? No!

Any major movements in price won't be until Spring next year, maybe Summer.

Permabanned
Look at 2133MHz, is that cheap? No!

Any major movements in price won't be until Spring next year, maybe Summer.

It doesn't make any sense. The price with which the memory modules exit the plants is extremely low, like 5-10$ for 4Gb. Something like this.
How is it possible to inflate it to hundreds of dollars is beyond me....

Caporegime
It doesn't make any sense. The price with which the memory modules exit the plants is extremely low, like 5-10$ for 4Gb. Something like this.
How is it possible to inflate it to hundreds of dollars is beyond me....
Production is being kept artificially low by Samsung, Hynix and Micron so prices are being kept high due to low supply. It's as good as a cartel and, IMO, should be investigated. While they may not be in cahoots with each other it is anti-consumer. Mobiles and tablets are also taking a lot of the supply that wasn't such an issue two or three years ago when 16gb in a phone was high end.

There's not a lot of spare capacity I agree, but more fab plants are due to come on stream towards the end of next year or early 2020. I really can't see pricing dropping that much though, certainly not to 2014 levels.

Permabanned
Production is being kept artificially low by Samsung, Hynix and Micron so prices are being kept high due to low supply. It's as good as a cartel and, IMO, should be investigated. While they may not be in cahoots with each other it is anti-consumer. Mobiles and tablets are also taking a lot of the supply that wasn't such an issue two or three years ago when 16gb in a phone was high end.

There's not a lot of spare capacity I agree, but more fab plants are due to come on stream towards the end of next year or early 2020. I really can't see pricing dropping that much though, certainly not to 2014 levels.

It isn't only anti-consumer, anti-customer but also it is a crime against human race. Because memory is a critical commodity for our technological progress and corporations like Intel and the memory manufacturers are introducing severe constraints by putting impossible price tags.

Soldato
Time to get yourself some 8 Pack instead, it looks good too. :)
I'm not one for RGB but I'd think you'd sell more if Team Group offered it in a RGB variant, it would then be better than G.Skill's Trident...
It isn't only anti-consumer, anti-customer but also it is a crime against human race. Because memory is a critical commodity for our technological progress and corporations like Intel and the memory manufacturers are introducing severe constraints by putting impossible price tags.
I have no idea why AMD haven't gotten into the memory market, I'm sure they could knock some out cheaper than the competition, they'd even be able to offer it for Ryzen.

Soldato
I call BS on certain availability and production on ram. I'd not be surprised if this is another excuse to bump prices and keep them there. Time will tell. £150 for 2x8GB of 3000 mhz DDR4 is OUTRAGEOUS.

Back
Top Bottom