Ram pricing

Soldato
Maybe the they are doing what they do with diamonds, they are common as muck reletivley speaking, but most of the stocks are kept locked up to keep the market price high.

Soldato
Maybe the they are doing what they do with diamonds, they are common as muck reletivley speaking, but most of the stocks are kept locked up to keep the market price high.

There's not that many players in the DDR4 market... only 3 main players really (Samsung, Micron and Hynix). Demand for DDR4 has ramped up considerably since its introduction (thank smartphones for that) and setting up new fabs is an expensive business potentially costing tens of billions of pounds. So if a companies increase in manufacturing capacity lags behind demand they can reap bigger profits then by spending billions on new plants and running the risk of oversupply and a price collapse

Last edited:
Associate
Sheeeesh!!
Just went to grab some memory after having seen that cyber week was extending the sale.
I guess prices fluctuated again, because prices have gone up yet again.:eek:
Sooner Chinese start knocking out some cheap stuff the better :rolleyes:

Soldato
The prices are so high now, and expected to go higher, that even if I had the cash for an upgrade now I would hold off. Only if my current PC died or I was using it for my job would I jump in now. I expect that 12-18months time will be a better point to move on, for me, from my 2500K.

Associate
Even with the high prices occasionally some retailers will have random deals, of course it could be a good/bad product, but if you are willing to put the time/effort in and be persistent you can find a decent deal.

I don't imagine prices will drop anytime soon but for sure there will be some random deals over the next year.

Soldato
I was just looking at getting 2 x 8GB sticks of 3000MHz Corsair LPX as I'm helping a friend build a new rig and holy hell, £200, Only 4 months ago did I pay £160 for 2 x 8GB sticks of 3600Mhz Corsair RGB which now costs £230 :eek:

I know OCUK do not make the market price so I am in no way at all having a go at them, That comes down to supply and demand, But this pricing is utterly ridiculous, I think I may advise him to get an Xbox One X instead, The price of PC stuff is getting insane.

Soldato
Yea prices are still insane. I have 16gb of 3200mhz DDR4 atm, wanted to go up to 32 (16gb gets low memory warnings in VR) but the cost has doubled for the exact same sticks since I upgraded my PC last year :/

I think we have got to the point where people are just going to keep running their current setup until it breaks. Except maybe GPUs. It's not like we have even had the need to upgrade CPUs or anything else in the last 5 years.

Even when you look at used prices they are high and it's the first time ever that I've seen some parts actually appreciate. I managed to sell a socket 1155 motherboard for more than I bought it for a few months ago.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea prices are still insane. I have 16gb of 3200mhz DDR4 atm, wanted to go up to 32 (16gb gets low memory warnings in VR) but the cost has doubled for the exact same sticks since I upgraded my PC last year :/

I think we have got to the point where people are just going to keep running their current setup until it breaks. Except maybe GPUs. It's not like we have even had the need to upgrade CPUs or anything else in the last 5 years.

Even when you look at used prices they are high and it's the first time ever that I've seen some parts actually appreciate. I managed to sell a socket 1155 motherboard for more than I bought it for a few months ago.

Yup, my 32gb of ddr4 has cost me £120 in total. I reckon I’d easily make profit on that on the bay, but would be pointless as id need to pay an arm and a leg for new memory. :p

Ree

Ree

Associate
i point blank refuse to upgrade at the stupid prices that are being asked as it really is a deal breaker for me now. i gotta wonder though for the excuse of being shortages.. i dont think i have ever seen ddr4 ram not available.

£55 i paid for my 16gb ddr3.

Soldato
i point blank refuse to upgrade at the stupid prices that are being asked as it really is a deal breaker for me now. i gotta wonder though for the excuse of being shortages.. i dont think i have ever seen ddr4 ram not available.

I paid £32.50 for 2x4GB back in 2012 and another £50 for 2x4GB in 2015, it's stupid when you look at DDR4 and see it's over double that now for some decent sticks.

Soldato

I paid the same, and because of my very mild OCD couldn't bear to see 2 slots not taken up so ended up buying up 32GB for a touch over £100. Best decision since my £40 250GB SSD on Black Friday 2013.

Associate
Posted in wrong thread, oops, so reposting here.

The memory makers must be laughing all the way to the bank, just noticed memory in general has gone up in price again (not pointing at you lot OCUK, know you can't do anything about this).
Memory I bought recently has gone up yet another £30. 16gb at £230 now is insane!

China anti-trust regulator questions Samsung about chip price fixing.

China's anti-trust regulator decided to have a talk with Samsung after receiving a slew of complaints from phone makers about price hikes in its memory chips, sources told the 21st Century Business Herald on Thursday.

The National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), China's anti-trust body for price-related enforcement, has interviewed Samsung about the company's sixth consecutive quarterly hike in memory chip prices, but whether an anti-trust investigation will be initiated is still unknown.

A scarcity in memory chips, widely used in phones and computers, has caused prices to jump since last year. As one of the world's largest chipmakers, Samsung's DRAM (dynamic random access memory) chips account for 48 percent of the global DRAM chip market, while its NAND Flash memory account for 35.4 percent of that chip's market.

At the same time, the price increases have started to make its way to consumers and triggered concerns among phone manufacturers.

Storage has surpassed screen and CPU to become the most expensive item in phone manufacturing, an industry insider told the 21st Century Business Herald.

"Storage has accounted for 25 percent – 35 percent of the phone production cost, and the memory bank prices have inflated by 300 percent over the past year, which is horrifying for phone makers, in particular smaller ones who have little bargaining power," the insider said.

Samsung's chip business has been a cash cow after the Galaxy Note 7 battery explosion scandal decreased demand for its smartphones. In the third quarter this year, the company generated 54.5 billion dollars in revenue, a 29.7 percent uptick year on year, and its profits increased by 179.47 percent to 12.76 billion dollars.

Industry insiders speculated possible collusion between Samsung and other chipmakers fixing prices. After all, this would not be the first time Samsung was involved in an anti-trust case.

Back in 2005, Samsung pleaded guilty and agreed to pay a fine of 300 million US dollars for participating in an international conspiracy to fix prices in the DRAM market, the US Department of Justice had announced. This fine is the second largest criminal antitrust fine in US history.

From April 1, 1999, to June 15, 2002, Samsung conspired with other DRAM manufacturers to fix the prices of DRAM sold to certain computer and server manufacturers, according to the court file.

Chances are it'll be just another small slap on the wrist, if anything.

Associate
RAM pricing is nuts, it makes sitting on a DDR3 platform much more encouraging, if I had a 3770k I wouldn't even bother thinking about 8700k. I'm surprised AMD/Intel haven't done something about the pricing because it must put some people off upgrading from older platforms.

It's put me off, I really want to upgrade, but these prices are ridiculous.

Soldato
It's interesting. Ddr4 pricing will make people think twice before upgrading. And rightly so, the pricing is stupid.

But that also stops the sales of cpu and mobo so has a knock on effect.

Ree

Ree

Associate
Chances are it'll be just another small slap on the wrist, if anything.

if found out to be true it should be billions of that profit being fined imo stuff like this should be nipped in the bud with horrendous meaningful fines for them and not a pebble in the ocean. just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom