Rant: About noobs using on board SLR Flash

Soldato
We all know, on board SLR flash are *****. What annoys me is nubs who take their SLR or Canon 400D with their stock 18-55mm lens and pop the onboard flash out. They think the onboard flash is great and use it to show off and think they have the best photos out there!

We all know that onboard flash are no good and if your going to get some decenting just buy a flash gun and bounce the light around the room, not use the on board flash!

Star out all swearies please ~ Zefan

Soldato
Can't say ive seen many of these people "showing off with their onboard flash". Onboard flash generally isn't up to much, but you can actually get pretty decent results if you snoot and diffuse it. Persoanlly I prefer no flash at all and rely on natural light, although I realise some situations require artificial light.

Associate
Martin Parr uses a lot of onboard flash.

Why does it annoy you? So what if they want to use a feature of their camera?

Associate
Seems like a bit of a daft argument to be honest...what about the flash on compacts? Are people silly using that??

Of course an external flash would be ideal, however many people...especially beginners don't want to invest money in a seperate flash gun when they won't get the most out of it!

Caporegime
I bet your just annoyed because you couldn't get any decent shots with the onboard one so bought an external one.

:p

Onboard flash is fine for fill in light, just don't depend on it entirely.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
i was out walking, and heard flash popup - i turned round and noob was about to take a photo and use the flash, so i punched him in the face.

I don't use my flash much, three reasons - it doesn't extend high enough and so the lens casts a shadow, it isn't helpful when you are trying to be stealthy and it often reflects off dust in the air like so!

Associate
We all know that onboard flash are no good and if your going to get some decenting just buy a flash gun and bounce the light around the room, not use the on board flash!

Would this be an inappropriate time to have a rant about noobs using inappropriate spelling and grammar??

Used correctly, the on-baord flash can work fine. Sounds to me like a case of "bad workman blaming tools" and equipment snobbery. Please can you explain what the value and relevance of your post is? :confused::confused:

Soldato
Original post sounds like a windup, however I tend to keep myself to myself when im shooting so I don't tend to notice what others are up to unless i'm with someone I know. I can't say i've ever found that many people annoying me with the popup flash on smaller cameras.
One thing that does annoy me is someone who goes and buys a huge speedlite with an extender and uses it on wildlife on full power with no idea how to use it, when they're obviously causing distress to the animals, Burgley horse trials come to mind :rolleyes:

Associate
It annoys me that people have splashed out on a DSLR but know nothing about photography.

Of course you can use the on-board flash and get great results, it's not that bad at all. It's just annoys me to see a 400D wielding newbie on the street, outdoors, in good light, and the flash pops up purely because they don't know what they're doing.

Opps, I forgot coherence, nvmd.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
We all know, on board SLR flash are. What annoys me is nubs who take their SLR or Canon 400D with their stock 18-55mm lens and pop the onboard flash out. They think the onboard flash is great and use it to show off and think they have the best photos out there!

you annoy me :) for making this post!

so i have a 400D and use the inbuilt flash and use my stock 18-55mm lens (so WHAT?) tbh i cant afford a bloody HUGE flash gun or new lens atm...

deal with it :)

It annoys me that people have splashed out on a DSLR but know nothing about photography.

Of course you can use the on-board flash and get great results, it's not that bad at all. It's just annoys me to see a 400D wielding newbie on the street, outdoors, in good light, and the flash pops up purely because they don't know what they're doing.

Opps, I forgot coherence, nvmd.

Thats me :D i bought my 400D knowing sod all about photography (still do) but hell it takes amazing pictures compared to my old pain in the ass film camera :) i shall learn one day when i get round to it ...or not

though if its sunny and awesome i turn the flash off :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh no my hobby has become commodotised due to cheap available SLR's and I no longer feel special as every one is doing it, wo is me. Leave it out and enjoy taking your pictures while others experiment with a new hobby. If anyone on here has never in the history of their camera use done something that they wouldn't now find laughable I'd be very surprised.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Oh no my hobby has become commodotised due to cheap available SLR's and I no longer feel special as every one is doing it, wo is me. Leave it out and enjoy taking your pictures while others experiment with a new hobby. If anyone on here has never in the history of their camera use done something that they wouldn't now find laughable I'd be very surprised.

Spot on really. If people want to take happy snaps with expensive cameras then let them be. No reason to mock them really.

Back
Top Bottom