Rant - London rent prices...

Soldato
Sure it's going to be expensive but how do you expect the people benefitting from this profits of ridiculous rent prices to get their coffee if the people who make it can't afford to be there!? It will get to that point in not so long.

I hope you're not studying economics.

Tea Drinker
Don
No but the rest barely qualifies as "London" either, and falls into the "difference eaten by transport costs" category mentioned by the OP. Watford is not London. Bromley/Croydon barely are.

Croydon is £159.40 a month to LB or VIC, hardly the £400 the OP is suggesting. For £400 a month he could live in Brighton and catch a fast train.

Some context is needed not just lol London is expensive, we don't even know what University.

Soldato
Budget with the GF is £1k a month and we're really struggling to find something we can live in. Personally I think two people would naturally work in a 4 bed house not one room but that may be because I grew up in the county in a big house.
I dont quite understand why you think a couple need 4 bedrooms. And I don't expect London to have many big country houses with room to waste.

There's more than enough 1 bedroom properties on Rightmove for under £500 PCM - 114 currently with some near the centre of London: Rightmove

Soldato
Keep looking. Your expectations sound ludicrously high so they're gonna need to be lowered.

I moved down here 3.5 years ago and found somewhere within 2 days of looking. I was lucky, I found a pretty decent room in a 3 bed flat for 450 a month. Most people don't believe me when I tell them how little I pay in rent. I haven't moved since and met maybe 2 people ever that pay as little as me.

Having said that, my ex found somewhere decent for around 550 this year and this new girl I'm seeing just moved to a giant room, easily big enough for 2 people in a pretty decent room for 750 a month. It took her ages to find that though.

Whenever someone moves in or out of here, we get inundated by people wanting to come see somewhere so cheap and (relatively) nice. How long the average person looks though is ages and they see so many. In the average day you can easily see a room in an absolute throbhole that costs 1k a month to live with the landlord who's a drunk and then immediately after see a really nice place for 550 2 minutes away from the tube in zone 2, both of those places will go immediately.

Keep looking but lower your expectations, you're not gonna get anywhere on your own for less than 1200 easily, but that's not to say you can't get a nice place, you'll just have to live with someone else.

To be honest though, a student living with his girlfriend is a bad idea for 2 reasons: 1 that's way too young to be moving in with someone and 2 what's going to uni about if not to live with a bunch of absolute wreckheads who'll teach you to appreciate consideration?

Man of Honour
The prices have got pretty crazy mind - I was renting a place in London for upper £700s upto 2006 - since I left the average rent for that area has gone upto £1500/m for the same kind of place while the average salary increase has been something like 9% (so typical situation for that area about ~£300/m increase in wage versus ~£700/m increase in rent).

Caporegime
The prices have got pretty crazy mind - I was renting a place in London for upper £700s upto 2006 - since I left the average rent for that area has gone upto £1500/m for the same kind of place while the average salary increase has been something like 9% (so typical situation for that area about ~£300/m increase in wage versus ~£700/m increase in rent).

A guy I worked with until about a year ago was living in a house in Southwark in the first half of the 2000s for about £500 a month. It's mind boggling.

Soldato
It's not even just London.

I'm about to move into a nice 2 bed (one really, the second bedroom is box room) in Oxfordshire next week for £795/month... whilst my sister rents a 4 bedroom detached house with garage for £800/month in Trowbridge.

Them's the breaks.

Soldato
One of the biggest parts about being a student is learning. Not just learning about what you applied to do but a method of learning that you then apply to all aspects of life.

I might move to Sweden afterwards and get out of this country all together!

This part of your post tells me you've not learned a damn thing because rents in Sweden are even more prohibitive than in this country especially in Stockholm. ;)

Read the news look it up get this pie in the sky notion out of your brain now! It won't be better. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/19/why-stockholm-housing-rules-rent-control-flat

Soldato
Did you not see that large gap in the middle? You've made the OPs point for them.

As to the question of how much further they will go - home owners vote, and they also forget that an inflated market doesn't actually help them unless they are selling their property and moving abroad where the market isn't so crazy, or don't actually need a house. The government will do anything they can do prevent the bubble popping.

That is because it is set to 2 beds for £1k pcm. There would be a lot more and much further into the centre of it was 1 bed. Also house share then you could live almost anywhere for that.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I'm a second year uni student. For some reason I get hardly any loan because my Mum met some guy I don't know

Did you not notify SLC that you have no financial connection with you mum, i.e. "estranged"? (I assume you don't go "home" out of term time).

Google "independant student".

Also:-

Personally I think two people would naturally work in a 4 bed house

Seirously - just you and you GF and you want a 4 bed house? What will you be using the other 3 bedrooms for?

Just get a 1 bed flat and be done with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Rents in London aren't that great for yields, iirc there was some studies recently that showed the yields on rents in places like Manchester & Liverpool were double what they are in London. Of course that's partly because of expected capital appreciation but still if you applied the same yields as you could expect for my flat in Manchester to a flat in Zone 1-2 London you would probably be playing close to £2.5K for a 2 bedroom flat.

Caporegime
That is because it is set to 2 beds for £1k pcm. There would be a lot more and much further into the centre of it was 1 bed. Also house share then you could live almost anywhere for that.

quite, you could probably find a double room in a house share in N1, NW1 etc... if you're spending 1k a month

you could still get a one bed flat to yourself, within zone 2 for 1k a month

Rents in London aren't that great for yields, iirc there was some studies recently that showed the yields on rents in places like Manchester & Liverpool were double what they are in London. Of course that's partly because of expected capital appreciation but still if you applied the same yields as you could expect for my flat in Manchester to a flat in Zone 1-2 London you would probably be playing close to £2.5K for a 2 bedroom flat.

this is very true, some landlords who bought a few years ago might be making big capital gains but the actual yields relative to current prices are pretty low - renting in London is relatively good value

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I hear the north is cheap. Could easily rent a 4 bed detached for 1k up their.

really..... there are families with multiple children (who work hard) who can't afford to do that outside of London. You're a student studying in London (bad choice of location in my opinion being the capital and all that :rolleyes:), you're not supposed to be living in a life of luxury.

4 bedrooms for 2 people, who will likely be in the same bed anyway is overkill, I can understand 2 bedrooms but 4.... and I live in the countryside and always had 2 rooms (bedroom and a room that was kind of my own space and or office) while growing up :rolleyes:

At uni I shared with other people and had one room, it's part of uni life. Lower your standards/expectations and you might find somewhere although £1000 a month isn't a lot in London

I don't actually want a 4 bed right now and I understand this is very unrealistic in London but I think people naturally need the space. Combine that with the fact most advertised 4 beds are actually two beds with some storage space.

Look at spareroom.co.uk. I had a similar issue in Cambridge (I could afford a bit more... But would rather save.)

What do you think I've been doing every day for the past 3 months?

One of the biggest parts about being a student is learning. Not just learning about what you applied to do but a method of learning that you then apply to all aspects of life.

This part of your post tells me you've not learned a damn thing because rents in Sweden are even more prohibitive than in this country especially in Stockholm. ;)

Read the news look it up get this pie in the sky notion out of your brain now! It won't be better. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/19/why-stockholm-housing-rules-rent-control-flat

Sorry, I only mentioned Sweden because I like the country - not for the rent prices.

Did you not notify SLC that you have no financial connection with you mum, i.e. "estranged"? (I assume you don't go "home" out of term time).

Google "independant student".

Also:-

Seirously - just you and you GF and you want a 4 bed house? What will you be using the other 3 bedrooms for?

Just get a 1 bed flat and be done with it.

Can't do that, I rang, they said I must be legally estranged I think. It's extremely annoying when I've been 100% finically independent of my parents for over 3 years now and they don't have any intention of giving me anything this year.

Soldato
Must try harder:

For most people going straight into university after school or college, the loans and grants available depend on their parents' income as well as their own. However, things are different if any of the following apply to you:

You are 25 or older
You are married or in a civil partnership (or have been in the past)
You have no living parents
You have been supporting yourself for at least three years
You are estranged from your parents (meaning that you are no longer in contact with them)

In any of these situations, you are considered an 'independent student'. This means that your parents' income doesn't matter. Instead, your loans and grants will be based on your income and your partner's income, if you have one.

Back
Top Bottom