• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raptor Lake Leaks + Intel 4 developments

Soldato
Yes ofc I would, if they can build better CPUs (10% IPC improvement etc), who wouldn't want that?

They aren't official roadmaps. I don't understand why some people keep claiming they are, it confuses the hell out of people. No respected website (Such as Wikipedia or Wikichip) has said anything about 'Raptor Lake', because there is no official news from Intel.

Just taking MLID's word for is just gullible (sorry if that seems rude...), he's just one guy. It doesn't matter how many times he supposedly 'has been right' in the past (or not).

Notice how none of the 'leaks' give any significant detail about the 'Raptor Cove' core architecture itself? Odd isn't it? If I was leaking info, that's where I'd start.

Raptor lake is Alderlake. Ie nothing to leak as it’s more of the same.

Intel’s next 5 years of chips are all shareholder lake.

Nova lake leaks and beyond. That’s what we are waiting for. Until Nova we just get Another lake.

Soldato
OP
Let's stick with what we know, Meteor Lake is scheduled for 2023. It's a new core architecture that isn't Golden Cove. Intel has confirmed servers for the same 'Intel 4' process, here:
https://static.techspot.com/images2/news/bigimage/2021/10/2021-10-24-image-j.webp

No one has a clue what Intel will do beyond that, except presumably an improved 7nm CPU, based on the 'Intel 3' process. Process roadmap here:
https://images.anandtech.com/doci/16823/Intel Accelerated Briefings FINAL-page-006_575px.jpg

It's not possible to speculate on future CPUs (beyond Meteor Lake), because they haven't even got the fabrication process technology ready yet.

Last edited:
Associate
on par with the 5950x in gaming
Yes, good IPC, large cache would do that in games.
But did you see how in general applications it is barely faster than 5800X and losing badly to 5900X when limited to 125W?
And when limited to 100W to bring actual consumption to same level it is even worse?

IPC is good, but efficiency is not its strong point. However many E-cores it has.

Zen4 will also have more head room in power consumption

Soldato
A small number of E cores to boost efficiency makes some sense but Intel are using them to plaster over their inability to scale up performance core numbers.

As things stand I prefer AMDs approach, using multiple chiplets to scale up full fat cores that wouldn't be possible on a monolithic die, it seems better than tacking on E cores.

"super glue" tacked on E cores you mean ;) :p

Soldato
OP
Lol why are you so obsessed with 'Nova Lake'? It's literally just a name at this point, with no details or confirmation whatsoever.

It's because Meteor Lake isn't an AMD CPU I suppose :p

Soldato
Lol why are you so obsessed with 'Nova Lake'? It's literally just a name at the point, with no details or confirmation whatsoever.

Because everything between now and then is more Alder lake. Although it might be the chip after Nova lake that puts Intel back into contention.

Soldato
It just sounds like you are making stuff up tbh.

Ah, I’ll explain. Intel are miles off the pace and have nothing coming in the next five years that can complete with AMD. So Intel have a strategy to cobble together 8 Skylake and X Atom cores in a ring + mesh arrangement.

Soldato
OP
@jigger - Is this a case of the fox and grapes? Alder Lake + 16GB / 32GB DDR5 + Z690 doesn't exactly come cheap at the moment...

£600 for a 12900K, £200 for a DDR5 Z690 board. Another £130 for the DDR5 (best case). Probably another £80 for a good cooler, or likely more for water cooling. So, approx. £1,000 in total

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, I’ll explain. Intel are miles off the pace and have nothing coming in the next five years that can complete with AMD. So Intel have a strategy to cobble together 8 Skylake and X Atom cores in a ring + mesh arrangement.
Intel are up to 45% ahead of AMD in MT and around 18% ahead in ST for the 2 mainstream 6 and 8 core segments so they are more than competitive.

Soldato
@jigger - Is this a case of the fox and grapes? Alder Lake + 16GB / 32GB DDR5 + Z690 doesn't exactly come cheap at the moment...

£600 for a 12900K, £200 for a DDR5 Z690 board. Another £130 for the DDR5 (best case). Probably another £80 for a good cooler, or likely more for water cooling. So, approx. £1,000 in total

It just a case of AMD being better. Not sure why that comes as a surprise to people.

Soldato
OP
It's just a case of delusional complete bull****, happens all the time.

If you wait a bit, the 'grapes' will get significantly cheaper.

Your dated AM4 board doesn't support the Ryzen 5000 series, so it's not like it would even be a cheap upgrade to get a Ryzen 5000 series CPU or above.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's just a case of delusional complete bull****, happens all the time

Yeah, a few people think Alder lake is a solution to Zen when in reality it’s a long way off an EOL chip. AMD don’t even need to react to Alder lake even his late into the Zen 3 cycle. Well when I say Zen, I really mean just some Ryzen desktops parts. The full Zen stack of products is generations ahead.

Soldato
OP
I mean, we keep going around the same points. To summarise, we are getting new core architectures for desktops from AMD and Intel in 2023, with new fabrication technology (with a significant transistor density increase vs previous generations). You can believe Intel's offering won't be an improvement, but it wouldn't be a reflection of reality. Both CPU gens will be designed with non-trivial improvements in IPC, which doesn't just happen by magic.

It's possible that Zen 4 will release a few months before Meteor Lake, so AMD may have a slight advantage in this regard.

Last edited:
Soldato
I mean, we keep going around the same points. To summarise, we are getting new core architectures for desktops from AMD and Intel in 2023, with new fabrication technology (with a significant transistor density increase vs previous generations). You can believe Intel's offering won't be an improvement, but it wouldn't be a reflection of reality. Both CPU gens will be designed with non-trivial improvements in IPC, which doesn't just happen by magic.

It's possible that Zen 4 will release a few months before Meteor Lake, so AMD may have a slight advantage in this regard.

Non of these Lakes will be competitive until at least Nova lake and Intel have to build first build the fabs to produce Nova lake. Plus AMD will be on Zen 5 or 6 by then and TSMC are will be driving it’s tech and working with AMD even more closely.

Soldato
OP
Yes, you keep saying things that no one could possibly know at this point, why? It's many years away, it's irrelevant.

It also has nothing to do with the thread topic...

It makes no difference who is ahead in 5 years time, it's totally unknowable, and with tech it's never a simple 'X is always better than Y'.

Soldato
Yes, you keep saying things that no one could possibly know at this point, why? It's many years away, it's irrelevant.

It makes no difference who is ahead in 5 years time, it's totally unknowable, and with tech it's never a simple 'X is always better than Y'.

We do know though. Intel need to,

1, build all new fabs and bring nodes online that can compete and retire its 10nm plants.

2, come up with a scalable CPU/APU design that can compete from tablets to servers.

Intel are at least a decade away from fully executing on that. They are just now bringing discrete graphics cards to market and integrating its GPU tech into a CPU that can compete with AMD is going to be a monumental task. The next five years for Intel is all about holding on and damage limitation.

Back
Top Bottom