• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raptor Lake Leaks + Intel 4 developments

the 13600k does look damn impressive if only they dropped like 4 e cores would lower power more and doesnt effect gaming priced it closer or matched even lower 7600x it would wipe the floor totally

The advantage of the higher number of E-Cores (each +4) is small in games
The fact that even the Core i5-13600K acts faster in games than the Core i9-12900KS and thus overtakes the entire competition, including the Ryzen 7 5800X3D, is a surprise.
As tests have shown, it's not the additional E-Cores in the Core i5 that push the CPU up a notch either.

Last edited:
You don't think its important when one platform draws up to 50w in idle (zen 3) and the other 3 watts? Really now? How freaking biased can someone be...

Think some fact checking is probably in order here. That seriously can't be right, don't want to derail the thread at all but at idle even a 24 core threadripper doesn't use 50w stock, in fact mine is pulling approx 10w now according to ryzen master:

In fact later I shall fire up my mrs 5600x machine to see what idle power draw is as I don't believe it's 50w idle... not even close. edit: I also have an alder lake machine available to me so will also have a look at idles on that... Interesting.

Last edited:
That kind of falls down though when the CPUs and motherboards cost more, a B660 + 13600KF reuse your DDR4

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £526.44 (includes delivery: £10.50)​

B650 7600X + DDR5 6000

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £849.47 (includes delivery: £10.50)​

You're already saved £325 so thats your new intel motherboard in a few years while selling the DDR4 + B660 when you come to upgrade in a few years will also cover some new DDR5 which has likely gotten much cheaper and faster by then.

What if you don't have DDR4 already. And you do get a gaming performance hit with DDR4 compared to DDR5. So factor in £100 for RAM then.

You can pick up a B650m motherboard for £176.33 already so the cost difference there is £16 not £110! That gives you DDR5 and PCIE 5.0 support to last years just fine.

Also what price are the B760 boards from Intel. We haven't had info but if you want parity spec with PCIE 5.0 and M.2 at 5.0 also then expect the Intel boards to be similar price as well.

That means your saving if you are comparing is £155 not £325. It will be less if you go B760 and DDR5 for Intel too to get the performance shown in reviews gaming wise and back to only £16 difference.

OMG!!!! its AM5 equivalent is £300.

WTF? :cry:

In fairness can be had for £269 but yeah still £100 over the release price of the B550 version (however do take into account the currency difference), that alone equates to £40 of the extra cost so it is about £60 more from B550 to B650 when that considered.

Think some fact checking is probably in order here. That seriously can't be right, don't want to derail the thread at all but at idle even a 24 core threadripper doesn't use 50w stock, in fact mine is pulling approx 10w now according to ryzen master:

In fact later I shall fire up my mrs 5600x machine to see what idle power draw is as I don't believe it's 50w idle... not even close. edit: I also have an alder lake machine available to me so will also have a look at idles on that... Interesting.
It isn't close. My 5950x ideals at around 8-11watt depending on exact background happening and even with Chrome open and typing only goes to 11-13watts!

For the people looking at AM5 longevity. Just because AMD is sticking to AM5 doesn't mean you wont have to change the motherboard to support another CPU down the line.

I had 1700x. 2600x, 3950x and 5950x. All on AM4 but I still had to replaced the motherboard at least twice to support the newer AMD CPU's. I expect this will not change with AM5.

Last edited:
For the people looking at AM5 longevity. Just because AMD is sticking to AM5 doesn't mean you wont have to change the motherboard to support another CPU down the line.

I had 1700x. 2600x, 3950x and 5950x. All on AM4 but I still had to replaced the motherboard at least twice to support the newer AMD CPU's. I expect this will not change with AM5.
Yes mistakes were made but rectified in the support side. You could have had a board that supported the 2000 series and still supports all the latest chips now. AMD have said they will better support in future.

For instance the B350 support 2000, 3000 and 5000 series though you had to wait for BIOS updates and sometimes that was a long time. Hopefully this time those updates come sooner BIOS wise.

Yes mistakes were made but rectified in the support side. You could have had a board that supported the 2000 series and still supports all the latest chips now. AMD have said they will better support in future.

For instance the B350 support 2000, 3000 and 5000 series though you had to wait for BIOS updates and sometimes that was a long time. Hopefully this time those updates come sooner BIOS wise.

This is where they got me :mad:

Had the new CPU in hand but BIOS update was "coming soon" I couldn't be bothered to wait so I purchased a new board. If you had the A series boards, you was SOL for the bios update.

I have gone for the 13900K now for a new build but I hope AMD wont pull that stunt again. At least with Intel, you know the socket type longevity.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a 13900k on a custom water loop? How are you finding temps?

A lot of the testing I'm seeing is on AIO with crazy benchmarks... I just want to know if it's approx the same as 12th or it is indeed that much hotter, even at stock.

This is where they got me :mad:

Had the new CPU in hand but BIOS update was "coming soon" I couldn't be bothered to wait so I purchased a new board. If you had the A series boards, was SOL for the bios update.
Yeah fair but I don't personally know anyone buying an A series board and pairing with any of the likes of the 5600x, 5800x etc later down the road as just too many features missing and even back when they were released not really worth it in my opinion. A decent B series board though from then worked well.

It isn't close. My 5950x ideals at around 8-11watt depending on exact background happening and even with Chrome open and typing only goes to 11-13watts!
Dont tell @Bencher that, he will either chnage the narrative or claim you are lying. No one saying anything positive about AMD is correct, not forum members or pro reviewers

At this point it doesn't even matter whether the charts are correct or not. Because amd is losing, people like grim5 think idle wattage is unimportant. So I guess who cares about how much wattage its using, doesnt matter

At this point it doesn't even matter whether the charts are correct or not. Because amd is losing, people like grim5 think idle wattage is unimportant. So I guess who cares about how much wattage its using, doesnt matter

It matters when you continually sprout nonsense about products on both sides. People come here for informed information and have to trawl through your uninformed posts full of waffle. Just saying.

Yes the 13900k is a decent CPU, no Zen3 doesn't consume 50w idle, to some people power draw does matter... I could go on and on and on but I did say the intention was not to derail but just to point out that some of the fact checking of supposed "fact" is somewhat lacking. You should probably stop making comments on things you have no idea about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom