• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raptor Lake Leaks + Intel 4 developments

So far, most of the 13900k chips our group has hover around 57x pcores and 45x ecores without much effort when it comes to overclocking. Just quick voltage tuning. A mixture of 360 aio’s and loops. Asus platforms are most stable. Z690 MSI bios support for RPL is all over the place.

What SP quality are others getting? @8 Pack - what was the average SP quality rating you saw in testing?

My 12900k was SP85 - so I'm very happy to get a SP99 from OCUK! Must be a good batch, or 13900k are just generally higher SP this time around?

1hSl3HV.png

When I had to pay for it I had every single platform Z and X including at least 4 flagship gpus to bench four way.... I didn't have one cpu per platform either I had several. So my attitude exactly the same then.... In tech you can always wait for better... But if gaming or overclocking is your hobby may as well enhance the fun now...
That’s what it’s meant to be about “fun” although I’m finding it’s quite the opposite for the select few on here.

Everyone is caught up on “dead end” this and “next year” that.

AMD vs Intel is the most ridiculous thing for tech enthusiasts, because you are missing out sticking to one brand. For what?

It looks like the 13000 series is much like the 4090 and downclocks well making it way more efficient while losing very little performance.

Watched this yesterday. This is definitely the way to go with 13gen. Can’t wait to start tinkering when I eventually get the rest of my parts.

That’s what it’s meant to be about “fun” although I’m finding it’s quite the opposite for the select few on here.

Everyone is caught up on “dead end” this and “next year” that.

AMD vs Intel is the most ridiculous thing for tech enthusiasts, because you are missing out sticking to one brand. For what?

Are there really many die hards who will only go one team though. Suspect the majority will make a decision at the time they want to upgrade and get what they feel is best for them. Rest is just playground arguing. :)

Are there really many die hards who will only go one team though. Suspect the majority will make a decision at the time they want to upgrade and get what they feel is best for them. Rest is just playground arguing. :)
Those are mostly the amd fans. Plenty of those here in this very forum said theyd never buy intel.

So yeah...

On here that’s all I’m seeing. It’s AMD or nothing.

Yeah I said AM5 MB now cost double so the board makers are now stealing any savings you make by not needing to upgrade again.
And that is probably their exact thinking :(

Motherboard makers:
AM4 lasted for years - we sold less boards overall.
AM5 will last for for years - we will milk them as early as possible!

Okay, some things have gone up and PCIe 5.0 tracing must be hard, but Intel's constant need for new chipsets was not just done to allow Intel to use old fabs to make new chipsets - keeping the OEMs and board makers happy with constant - and mostly needless - was certainly a large part of the reason too.

At 257mm² Raptor Lake is pretty big for a consumer CPU. A Zen4 is 83mm² so even taking the IOD into account, the 16C Zen4 CPUs are smaller. Not that us consumers care - and the P cores do give gamers good performance (at a huge transistor cost) - for servers... Well, Intel have to release some E core server parts and try to find a market for them because Zen4 EPYC is simply unbeatable in terms of area, power, and overall cost.

And that is probably their exact thinking :(

Motherboard makers:
AM4 lasted for years - we sold less boards overall.
AM5 will last for for years - we will milk them as early as possible!

Okay, some things have gone up and PCIe 5.0 tracing must be hard, but Intel's constant need for new chipsets was not just done to allow Intel to use old fabs to make new chipsets - keeping the OEMs and board makers happy with constant - and mostly needless - was certainly a large part of the reason too.

At 257mm² Raptor Lake is pretty big for a consumer CPU. A Zen4 is 83mm² so even taking the IOD into account, the 16C Zen4 CPUs are smaller. Not that us consumers care - and the P cores do give gamers good performance (at a huge transistor cost) - for servers... Well, Intel have to release some E core server parts and try to find a market for them because Zen4 EPYC is simply unbeatable in terms of area, power, and overall cost.
But in productivity those Skylake level E-cores add decent performance:

I compiled a lot of non-gaming benchmarks and the Core i5 13600K is not only competitive with a Ryzen 7 7700X and Ryzen 9 5900X,but can beat them both in many cases.

It's very lucky for AMD,that Intel is having to use a worse process node. Now imagine if Intel was using TSMC 5NM? Die size would be smaller and power consumption would be lower too.

But AMD also has priced the Ryzen 5 7600X and Ryzen 7 7700X relatively high compared to the Ryzen 9 parts. Going by Ryzen 9 per core pricing based on OcUK prices,the Ryzen 5 7600X should be £290 and the Ryzen 7 7700X should be £385. AMD did the same thing with the Ryzen 5 5600X and Ryzen 7 5800X and I argued with many people on here,who defended the pricing.

However,sadly for AMD it also seems DDR4 still is fine with the Core i5 13600K:

You are loosing about 10% in performance in gaming and non-gaming benchmarks,but as a gaming and productivity CPU,the Core i5 13600KF is probably the best one under £400~£450 in terms of value and even straight performance.

Basically Intel has not even tried to price it well because of terrible AMD pricing. This is exactly what happened with Zen3. AMD priced their CPUs more per core than the Intel line-up it beat. The Core i5 10400F and Core i5 11400F were also great value when the B560 series motherboards became more affordable. Then when Alderlake came out the Core i5 12400F was much cheaper than the Ryzen 5 5600X and the Core i5 12600KF was similar pricing,but was faster overall(especially in productivity benchmarks). AMD then took its time and eventually released the Ryzen 5 5600 non-X and Ryzen 7 5700X.

It appears now we are relying on Intel to push price/performance forward!:(

Plus even on AM4 the motherboard prices are now going up a lot. I wanted to find a replacement for my B450 mini-ITX motherboard and found lots of deals on 500 series and 600 series Intel motherboards but none on the AMD ones. The reason? AMD is probably going to make its 7600XT a PCI-E 5.0 8X dGPU,so performance is going to be bad on my PCI-E 3.0 system(which again might have had a PCI-E 4.0 BIOS but AMD forced its partners to remove PCI-E 4.0 from B450/X470 motherboards so they could sell more B550/X570 motherboards).

So at this point,motherboard pricing alone is going to be a problem for AMD IMHO. I really am concerned what Zen5 pricing is going to end up. This sounds very similar to the Athlon 64 days,and it took Intel to release Core2 to start pushing pricing down again.

Last edited:
November last year I bought my 12600k for £248.
Holy **** but I am pleased I did.
Prices across the board are just insane.
AMD/Intel have released some good CPUs but the prices (and platform entry for AMD) make them poor value verse just under one year ago.

Last edited:
AMD/Intel have released some good CPUs but the prices (and platform entry for AMD) make them a poor value verse just under one year ago.

Yeah, I got a 12700k at the start of the year but nearly held off. Pleased I didn't wait now!

It's undervolted but overclocked and paired with some 4000mhz C16-16-16 DDR4, it won't be far off these new models.

Last edited:
AMD/Intel have released some good CPUs but the prices (and platform entry for AMD) make them poor value verse just under one year ago.
there's always an uplift on a new generation but we can't ignore the main issue, which is a government who royally shafted the currency

It's also not helped the Pound has tanked in value too. One year ago it was $1.38 to a Pound and now its $1.11!!

So the Pound has lost 20% of its value. That would make the Core i5 13600KF,under £300 as would the Ryzen 5 7600X. So you need to look at the USD pricing - but the USD price isn't great either,but it's just worse for us in Europe as a whole.

V3abckE.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom