• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raptor Lake Leaks + Intel 4 developments

Lol Videocardz posting more drivel without actually reading it properly. They mention DLVR as being likely to be new with Z790/B760, but completely miss the part on the slide, where that's listed under the Raptor Lake "Mobile" section :)

Videocardz is about on par with wccftech and neither should be linked to if people want to be taken seriously.

Soldato
Anyone else just not that interested in Intel’s current roadmaps until they get the 18A fabs off the ground?

For me the real interesting products are Ponte Vecchio and Arc. The technology development behind Ponte Vecchio is particularly interesting and to me clearly what will get Intel out of the hole they find themselves in.

Don
Nothing certain out yet. Could be that Z690 is compatible (as per many leaks) but doesn't enable the new "Digital Linear Voltage Regulator (D-LVR)" feature, or could be that z790 is required.

Won't the new voltage controller be on the cpu? Don't see why a new mobo would be required Raptor lake will run on z690

D-LVR likely isn't even on the Desktop versions, as in the slides linked above it's listed firmly under the "mobile" section.

Soldato
Seems the Intel are looking to offset the lost CPU sales revenue with not only its range of Arc GPUs but chipsets too. For many years Intels chipsets business revenue was bigger than AMD and Nvidia combined.

Maybe shareholders are now asking pointy PVC questions not only about the CPU business but also the chipsets side of the market.
Honestly I prefer it over what AMD is doing. With the zen3 launch prices you were already paying for a new motherboard, you just didn't get one. There were times you could buy a 10700k + a 150€ z490 for the price of a 5800x alone. So you are paying for a new motherboard either way, but if you go with Intel you are actually getting one :p

Soldato
Honestly I prefer it over what AMD is doing. With the zen3 launch prices you were already paying for a new motherboard, you just didn't get one. There were times you could buy a 10700k + a 150€ z490 for the price of a 5800x alone. So you are paying for a new motherboard either way, but if you go with Intel you are actually getting one :p

Vote with your wallet if you like the idea of buying a new CPU and motherboard. Buy a new motherboard with every CPU.

Personally I’d prefer not to buy a new motherboard, but people have called me a motherboard snob, as I usually go after the higher quality boards, not just the cheapest possible.

Soldato
OP
Given the choice, it's much better to spend the money on a higher end CPU, than a higher end motherboard. Especially true if running at stock/turbo settings rather than overclocking.

Last edited:
Soldato
Given the choice, it's much better to send the money on a higher end CPU, than a higher end motherboard. Especially true if running at stock/turbo settings rather than overclocking.

Depends. Personally I don’t have an issue paying more money for quality parts.

Soldato
Vote with your wallet if you like the idea of buying a new CPU and motherboard. Buy a new motherboard with every CPU.

Personally I’d prefer not to buy a new motherboard, but people have called me a motherboard snob, as I usually go after the higher quality boards, not just the cheapest possible.
I do vote with my wallet.

Personally i'd prefer not to buy a new mobo too, but i'd also prefer not to pay for one included in the cost of the CPU (like zen 3) without actually getting one.

I mean look at your motherboard. If you wanted to upgrade to a 5800x, youd have to pay 400 to 450€ and wait for 2+years to get official bios support. That's because you are paying the price of a motherboard included in the cost of a 5800x. Alternatively you could just by a new b550 at 100-150€ which is better than your current mobo and buy the 5800x for a normal ~300€ price.

I really don't see what's great about mobo compatibility when you have to pay for a mobo anyways

Soldato
I do vote with my wallet.

Personally i'd prefer not to buy a new mobo too, but i'd also prefer not to pay for one included in the cost of the CPU (like zen 3) without actually getting one.

I mean look at your motherboard. If you wanted to upgrade to a 5800x, youd have to pay 400 to 450€ and wait for 2+years to get official bios support. That's because you are paying the price of a motherboard included in the cost of a 5800x. Alternatively you could just by a new b550 at 100-150€ which is better than your current mobo and buy the 5800x for a normal ~300€ price.

I really don't see what's great about mobo compatibility when you have to pay for a mobo anyways

I don’t, my motherboard actually supports the 5000 series.

Edit: That board has a 5900X fitted currently.

Soldato
I don’t, my motherboard supports the 5000 series.
Officially it doesn't. That's like saying a z170 supports 8700k. I mean sure you can do it, but that's not offical support from Intel.

Anyways, doesn't matter if it support it or not (the argument applies to every other brand's x370 that doesn't anyways), the point is if you want to upgrade to a 5800x you are paying for

Soldato
Officially it doesn't. That's like saying a z170 supports 8700k. I mean sure you can do it, but that's not offical support from Intel.

Anyways, doesn't matter if it support it or not (the argument applies to every other brand's x370 that doesn't anyways), the point is if you want to upgrade to a 5800x you are paying for

Officially it did for a while. Vendors adding support for PCI-E 4 on cheap low quality boards put an end to support. Now my board is officially, un-officially supported.

AMD are looking to reintroduce support for older chipset. If that happens or not is another thing, but the motherboards will need to hit a minimum standard and many probably won’t.

It’s like say Z170 supports everything from Skylake to Alder lake.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially it did for a while. Vendors adding support for PCI-E 4 on cheap low quality boards put an end to support. Now my board is officially, un-officially supported.

AMD are looking to reintroduce support for older chipset. If that happens or not is another thing, but the motherboards will need to hit a minimum standard and many probably won’t.

It’s like say Z170 supports everything from Skylake to Alder lake.

The z170 is from 2015, the x370 is from 2017. So no, not really a good comparison. The z170 unofficialy support cpus up to 2018 (9700 9900).

Anyways, that's not the point. When the cpu itself costs more than competitors cpu + mobo, its kinda pointless having mobo compatibility since you are basically paying for a motherboard while not getting one and being stuck with your old one.

Soldato
The z170 is from 2015, the x370 is from 2017. So no, not really a good comparison. The z170 unofficialy support cpus up to 2018 (9700 9900).

Anyways, that's not the point. When the cpu itself costs more than competitors cpu + mobo, its kinda pointless having mobo compatibility since you are basically paying for a motherboard while not getting one and being stuck with your old one.

Well, it’s many generations of support for chips. I think AMD will insist on tighter tolerance and higher quality for AM5. I think AM5 could see more future support than AM4 did.

And no, I spent much less upgrading on AMD than I would have with Intel. Produced a lot less e-waste and used a lot less power too. If those kind of things are important to you is another matter.

Soldato
Given the choice, it's much better to send the money on a higher end CPU, than a higher end motherboard. Especially true if running at stock/turbo settings rather than overclocking.

I agree with this, more expensive CPU will always give more performance over a high end motherboard.

High end motherboards are mainly a waste of money, unless you 1. Push crazy overclocks with exotic cooling, 2. Have need for high end audio supplied by high end motherboards. Many now come with USB powered DAC's, amplifiers and are on par with very expensive stand alone audio equipement.

Back
Top Bottom