1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor and Single Board Computers' started by daz, 4 Sep 2011.

1. TangoEchoAlpha

Wise Guy

Level1Techs did a video on it very recently!

2. jrwagh333

Soldato

Yeah I saw that last week and it really made me take notice. I skipped through NovaSpirtTech's video before that.

3. TangoEchoAlpha

Wise Guy

Just ordered a TV HAT on a whim, for under £7 I fancied giving it a whirl. In an ideal world the Raspberry foundation would do a DVB-S / DVB-S2 TV hat; got an unused satellite connection coming into my man cave at home, so it would connect nicely into TVHeadEnd and be cheaper than a USB/internal DVB-S2.

Will see if I can then find a relatively cheap freeview aerial to connect up to it. Sadly our aerial at home is prehistoric, hence why we went Freesat - previous occupier had Sky so we could simply connect TV up to the existing dish etc.

4. TangoEchoAlpha

Wise Guy

Really like the TV HAT case from The Pi Hut, which I've just been putting together. Just a PITA to remove the adhesive film that protects the acyrilic pieces, if you bite your fingernails like I do :eek:

[​IMG]

5. TangoEchoAlpha

Wise Guy

Got everything up and running on TVHeadend; nice little project for the Pi. I bought a TV HAT for £7, an aerial from Screwfix on a punt (£13) and put the aerial in the loft. TVHeadend picked up 160 services, a combination of radio and TV. @lucid made a bespoke cable for me to go from the antenna to the TV HAT, if anyone needs any custom AV cables he's your man.

Screengrab of my desktop, with the rather lovely Rachel Riley, showing live TV:

[​IMG]

Being able to use it as a DVR is brilliant, it records to the Unraid NAS via a mounted share.

6. Armageus

Don

You should also be able to integrate TVHeadend into Plex (or Emby), and then use them as the TVGuide/DVR, and stream to any device around your house that has a Plex client etc

7. TangoEchoAlpha

Wise Guy

Hopefully! The Pi is running LibreElec at the moment, with the TVHeadend server plugin for Kodi. Ultimately I would like to get Plex working as the DVR :)

8. Biz.Kid09

Sgarrista

9. TangoEchoAlpha

Wise Guy

I like the project, pretty cool but my immediate thought was why not buy POE HATs for each of the PIs and replace the internal switch with a POE one, something like the TP-Link TL-SG1005P is cheap, albeit I appreciate this alternative would mean 4 Pis instead of 5? Cooling could then be provided by fans running off the GPIO pins on the Pis?

10. Biz.Kid09

Sgarrista

Yeah good point, not sure if there was a particular reason he didn’t go that route.

11. TangoEchoAlpha

Wise Guy

Either way, it's a very cool project :D

12. R.C.Anderson

Wise Guy

Could well be because of PoE voltages. Most PoE switches want ~48V input, but a PC PSU will only give 12V, so it's unlikely you'll find a PoE switch that'll run at 12V.

13. TangoEchoAlpha

Wise Guy

[​IMG]

Changed the lid on my Pi Hut TV HAT case - got in touch with Pi Hut support who sent out the lid from their 'fan case'. Fixed a spare 5v fan with blue LED to the outside of the lid, wired the fan wires into the USB connection block and then connected to the Pi's own USB. Now means that when the Pi is on, there's some active cooling.

There's not enough room to fit the fan between the HAT and the underneath of the lid, so it had to go on the outside. The only alternative was to have it loose between the main board and the underside of the TV HAT, in which case the normal TV HAT lid would be fine.