Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
What's the news on the camera add on? Would love to get a decent case and turn these into network cctv cameras, would be even better if it supported power over ethernet!

PoE is supposedly next on their list of things to implement.

Has anyone plugged any camera hardware into theirs?

Associate
Right, got it booted up and pinging but can't get SSH access. The default 'pi' & 'raspberry' isn't working :(

Any weirdness that I am missing?

Edit: Gave it a reboot, got nothing. So managed to get some TV time to find the nice coloured square. Quick re-image and it is now booting up and sorting the partitions, fingers crossed!

On another note, these Samsung SD cards are awesome!

Last edited:
Soldato
Right, got it booted up and pinging but can't get SSH access. The default 'pi' & 'raspberry' isn't working :(

Any weirdness that I am missing?

Edit: Gave it a reboot, got nothing. So managed to get some TV time to find the nice coloured square. Quick re-image and it is now booting up and sorting the partitions, fingers crossed!

On another note, these Samsung SD cards are awesome!

Which ones are these? I'm tempted to get one for my 2nd Pi.

Soldato
I've had terrible trouble with the USB port not providing enough power to keyboards (Causing non-registering or sticky keys). It seems the design on the Pi only allows for 140mA max through the USB ports regardless of the power supply used.

Solution for me was to use a powered USB hub.

Nate

Associate
Just did a test on my Samsung SD I bought from the Bay, Results are;

Copy File Bench started...

Copy D:\Firefox Downloads\7601.17514.101119-1850_Update_Sp_Wave1-GRMSP1.1_DVD(1).iso to J:\7601.17514.101119-1850_Update_Sp_Wave1-GRMSP1.1_DVD(1).iso
Size: 2048196608 "1.90 GB (2,048,196,608 bytes)"
Time: 124636 ms
Transfer Rate: 15.672 MB/s

Copy File Bench ended

Read File Bench started...

Read file: J:\7601.17514.101119-1850_Update_Sp_Wave1-GRMSP1.1_DVD(1).iso
Size: 2048196608 bytes "1.90 GB (2,048,196,608 bytes) File"
Time: 76363 ms
Transfer Rate: 25.579 MB/s

Read File Bench ended

PS test did on my Main PC with SSD's as boot and another for everything else, SD is plugged into a Technika Card adaptor bought from a Big Superstore.

Kenneth.

Associate
I think the developer(s) have broken something it downloads when installing, because the same install image on the same sd card that was working yesterday is no longer working today (following several installations of openelec) with the exact issue you describe.

Yea there was a problem with it, just read the raspMBC forums and they are reporting that it's fixed now. Just going through the install now so hopefully it will work.

For anyone who has tried both openELEC and raspBMC, which one would you say was better?

I've heard raspBMC uses a lot less cpu usage, is there any truth to this?

when using openELEC i also seem to be around 70-80% cpu usage

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, I was expecting the performance to be way worse than it is (although the CPU meter in LXDE is now solid green :p), so overall I'm impressed. With a small spec bump, this thing could be even better, although I'm not sure whether or not they would be able to keep it the same size. Currently running Debian, but might go back to Arch ARM (depends on package selection).

Also pre-ordered a case from ModMyPi - hoping those get sent out some time soon. :)

Soldato
Got mine a while back from RS (and a second from Farnell a couple of days ago), but only recently got a chance to really sit down and have a play every now and then.

My primary aim is to setup a media player, so been trying both Raspbmc (second installer) and OpenELEC, I think Raspbmc is a little bit better but didn't notice that much difference and I believe there's now a newer version of OpenELEC to try as well...

It plays my highest bitrate 1080p videos no problems at all, the only issue I've noticed is that if you bring up the menu over the top of the video whilst it's playing then it does lag badly, but pausing/stopping fixes that and I can live with that.

Just been doing some read/write speed testing as well for good measure, using an ancient class 2 sandisk 4Gb card, a new transcend class 6 8Gb card and also another ancient 2Gb usb memory stick, all on the same raspbmc build.

Bit dissappointed with the results tbh, the brand new transcend card sucks balls :p

Transcend - 1.1Mb/s Write, 1.2Mb/s Read
Sandisk - 4.0Mb/s Write, 4.5Mb/s Read
USB Memstick - 2.1Mb/s Write, 10.3Mb/s Read

The UI on the Sandisk card is a lot smoother (not tried USB set as the rootfs just yet as it's slightly more effort :p)

Now seeing as I'm streaming the media over the network (hence why I didn't try NFS), I'm thinking the main usage of the rootfs is likely to be read operations? If so I'm thinking a usb memstick as the rootfs makes the most sense, be interesting when I get around to actually testing it :)

Associate
Got my code from RS and placed my order today. The 6 week wait is a bit of a pain, but it will give me chance to read up on Linux :o

My initial thoughts are to use it as a media player. I could stream from my PC, or alternatively would prefer to hook my external 'media' hard drive up to the Pi directly, which I guess is possible. However, if I did this, is it possible to connect to the hard drive attached to the Pi from my PC and transfer new content to it (sort of NAS-like)?

Associate
got my Rasberry PI from farnell last week, have just got a code from RS so placed the order for that one as well it did say 6 weeks for me also.

Kenneth.

Said 3 Weeks for me, I ordered RS one last week.

Playing with the one I got from Farnell, so far so good (Arch) image all setup and configured on Transcend 8GB (Class10) TS8GSDHC10 just had to regenerate the ssh keys really

Soldato
My RASPBMC did an automatic update today and now it just loads up to a command prompt asking for login details. When I log in all I get is some more command prompt. No idea how to load the application :confused:

Back
Top Bottom