Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
There has been some talk about Bluetooth in XBMC over on the official raspberry pi forums. From what I gather there is no support within XBMC for configuring Bluetooth devices (i.e. tethering), but if you manually configure the Bluetooth then it should work.

If the tethering settings are retained over startup then a 1 time configuration would not be too bad, but if you have to ssh in and manually configure every startup it would be a complete pain.

Soldato
There has been some talk about Bluetooth in XBMC over on the official raspberry pi forums. From what I gather there is no support within XBMC for configuring Bluetooth devices (i.e. tethering), but if you manually configure the Bluetooth then it should work.

If the tethering settings are retained over startup then a 1 time configuration would not be too bad, but if you have to ssh in and manually configure every startup it would be a complete pain.

I've been trying to get this working myself. I've managed to get it paired manually by SSH'ing in, but it forgets it every time and even when it does connect it only lets me control a terminal serssion and not RASPBMC.

I gave up and have just used my iphone as that controls both my Onkyo amp and the RASPBMC flawlessly :)

I will revisit the bluetooth thing at some point just because I don't like not figuring stuff out, but it is a ballache to say the least.

Soldato
How much knowledge of Linux is actually required to have a bit of fun with one of these? Very much considering creating a media player...

Also, can you plug USB splitters/docks into it, and could it support a USB drive or USB External HDD?

kd

Associate
How much knowledge of Linux is actually required to have a bit of fun with one of these? Very much considering creating a media player...

Also, can you plug USB splitters/docks into it, and what's the support like for a USB DVD drive?

kd

My linux knowledge is virtually non existent and I've now replaced my shuttle based media centre with Raspbmc :)

Soldato
Hmm, interesting... Guessing you're streaming your data from a server/other device?

Whilst I could potentially stream the stuff, I'd rather plug an external hard drive and DVD player on to it as I'll be living in a student house, and don't particularly want to give my flat access to any part of my system (even if I restricted it)

kd

Associate
Hmm, interesting... Guessing you're streaming your data from a server/other device?

Whilst I could potentially stream the stuff, I'd rather plug an external hard drive and DVD player on to it as I'll be living in a student house, and don't particularly want to give my flat access to any part of my system (even if I restricted it)

kd

It has a lovely (cheap) USB HDD enclosure plugged in :)

20120530_121441.jpg

I have a USB extension cable so that I can plug the drive into my main PC when I have extra stuff to add to the HDD.

Soldato
Hmm, yeah exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for then xD

Guessing best place to pick one up right now is probably eBay due to demand? xD

Where else would people recommend though?

Do we know a rough idea of Farnell date?

kd

Last edited:
Associate
To be honest, buying one off ebay for loads of money kind of goes against the point of it being a low cost computer.

No idea on the current lead times, but I received mine at the weekend and ordered it, from Farnell, in March...

Associate
Im having trouble with raspBMC, i get through the installation, then when it reboots i get a colourful rainbow type screen and it just hangs there.

Has anyone else come across this?

Im wondering if its the SD card, but i've had Debian and openELEC installed and working on this card.

Associate
Im having trouble with raspBMC, i get through the installation, then when it reboots i get a colourful rainbow type screen and it just hangs there.

Has anyone else come across this?

Im wondering if its the SD card, but i've had Debian and openELEC installed and working on this card.

I think the developer(s) have broken something it downloads when installing, because the same install image on the same sd card that was working yesterday is no longer working today (following several installations of openelec) with the exact issue you describe.

Associate
I spoke too soon!

ITV Player and iPlayer seem to work flawlessly, but 4OD is a steaming pile of dung which refuses to work and then crashes the Pi :(

Will report back when(/if?) I get it working and let you know what I did :)

It looks as though a new version of 4OD has been released!

details here

No time to look at it now, but will see if this works later tonight.

Back
Top Bottom