Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
There have been recent improvement to optimise the menus for the Pi, so if the comments about 80% processor usage are over a week old then you can ignore them.
I'm 95% certain that in-menu processor usage is down in the 7-8% range. I'll check again tonight and post a copy of my guisettings.xml for comparison.

I had some issues with both OpenELEC and Raspbmc when I had some meta data stored with my videos (fan art, series info, actor info, etc.). XBMC would continue at 100% usage after a scan completed, or even on loading movie thumbnails. After I removed the meta data then everything started running properly again.

I've started again from scratch (same build) and things are looking different - my 'recently added movies' art wasn't appearing before and some other art was missing which is now there. The difference is that this time I didn't go gung ho into playing movies before it had all settled down so it's looking promising. Will wait for CPU to settle (its about 80% at the moment) before doing anything as I have quite a few films. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
+1 for recent openelec

MUCH better than older builds... faster playback than on raspbmc for me

Look here http://sparky0815.de/

I think something is still wrong with my OpenELEC setup (latest build). Although it's stopped completely stutturing there are frames dropped just before transistions, menus are laggy compared to Raspbmc and CPU is constantly above 70%. Going to leave it running overnight and see if it sorts itself out.

Associate
I've been ignoring the Raspberry Pi as I had no interesting in developing anything with it, but I just had a thought about a role it could fill for me if it can do it 'out of the box' so to speak.

Being able to playback media to my TV using HDMI is great, and from what I understand it can do this at 1080p which is perfect, but there are other needs I have and am hoping someone knows if the following is possible with it. Can it run irssi 24/7? I used to run irssi inside Screen on ubuntu before the machine running it had a hardware failure and I haven't sorted it out yet, but if I can set up a low power raspberry pi to run 24/7 and just let me SSH into it, and then reattach the screen with irssi in then that would be great.

Also, I've seen some videos of being able to use a web browser on it, but can this do everything a normal browser can? for example If I want to browse some youtube videos, can it do that? or is it more just text/images but no flash?

Well I have mine setup as SSH server , always on device at home.

When I have free time or need something, SSH into it, WakeOnLan server / main computer etc... - pretty handy.

... as for my second one which should be here in a weeks time, well, still thinking about what I can do with it ... though defiantly not interesting in streaming video

Soldato
Still waiting for any news on mine, after ordering 4 weeks ago and being told it will dispatch in 3 weeks. 4th week now...

Dude... I ordered in March/April same day Farnell let you enter card details.

Farnell still haven't been in touch apart from "It will come to you in June". If they don't honour that (given the lead time) I'm going to shove up somewhere.

Last edited:
Soldato

Farnell still haven't been in touch apart from "It will come to you in June". If they don't honour that (given the lead time) I'm going to shove up somewhere.

Hehe, but that was sort of a pre-order order if you get what I mean? I signed up to it on the release date with RS, then a round a month ago they gave me the code to finally order it. Most people got theres within 3 weeks, maybe they've run out of stock again. Would be nice if they gave updates.

Associate

Same here waiting since march.... I remembered back in march they made the announcement at 6am or something silly like that went onto Farnells site at 06:01 servers crawling due to demand.

Back
Top Bottom