Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
Ive finally got mine up a running with Openelec and its seems to be running smoothly. Ive OC'd it to 900 cpu and 500 sdram but not touched the voltage yet.
Playing 1080p now it very smooth so now just waiting for AudioEngine to be added for DTS-MA pass through.
I can bin the WDTV then.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
The audio is not going through an amp. Perhaps the extra 150mhz is making the difference.

Is that it doesn't see the SD card at all, or it doesn't see that it's 8GB? If it's the latter you'll need SDFormatter.exe to remove the partitions and return it to it's original state.

It's my card reader(side of my monitor) to be fair it just doesn't pick it up at all , ill have to get an external one. Still trying to think of other uses for my Pi. Keep looking at you tube for ideas.

Q: I have a 5800 series gfx card (win7) and have never used my hdmi ports i take it these are purely for output? and cant use it as input for the pi? instead of connecting it to the tv all the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Surprised there hasn't been a overclocking 'league' for these things yet, seems like a ideal project for a site which may have a bias to that area.

Soldato
create a file "config.txt" on the boot partition and add specific commands within the file:
http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt

I believe it's done in the config.txt file found at /boot

default is arm_freq=800

Thanks, set the CPU to 850Mhz, didn't like 900Mhz. Upped the SDRAM too, but still buffering video.

Q: I have a 5800 series gfx card (win7) and have never used my hdmi ports i take it these are purely for output? and cant use it as input for the pi? instead of connecting it to the tv all the time.

That will be for output yes. My monitor has HDMI on it, I presume yours doesn't?

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Thanks, set the CPU to 850Mhz, didn't like 900Mhz. Upped the SDRAM too, but still buffering video.

That will be for output yes. My monitor has HDMI on it, I presume yours doesn't?

Nope only DVI.

I have usb power connector for the pi and thought i could use hdmi in my 5800 gfx card to output the pi display to the monitor. but doesn't seem to pick up a signal via the gfx card.

ill just continue to use tv then

Soldato
Hi guys,
Registered my interest a while a go but no email yet but I am happy to wait.

Just wondering I don't have a network drive setup with my media etc can I just stick it on a USB/external hdd and plug that in the Pi and play it through XBMC or any of the alternative OS?

Bit of a noob when it comes to stuff like this!!!!

Thanks

Associate
Hi guys,
Registered my interest a while a go but no email yet but I am happy to wait.

Just wondering I don't have a network drive setup with my media etc can I just stick it on a USB/external hdd and plug that in the Pi and play it through XBMC or any of the alternative OS?

Bit of a noob when it comes to stuff like this!!!!

Thanks

Yes you can, either directly into the pi or via a USB hub connected to it. The later is best if you are using a keyboard and mouse and it can also be powered via a powered USB hub.

Soldato
Thanks for that mate will load up a spare external now in preparation. Just searching the web and there's quite a few SD card deals on at the moment. Is there any brand/model people are using? There's a list of supported ones but what do people recommend??

With regards to OS, what are people using? There's a few out there all with their own advantages/disadvantages. Looking for a strictly media based one at the moment for the parents so they can just turn on and choose the music/film and play. I guess XBMC?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom