Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
[RB];22268401 said:
I think the maximum most TV's provide is the standard 500ma.

You could certainly give it a go but it may struggle.

I'm planning on using a remote control mains socket, similar to this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOME-EASY...90432730433?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item5ae79aad41

And programming my Logitech remote to turn it on or off as part of my 'watch movie' activity.

You posh git. ;)

I'll probably just end up leaving my PI on 24/7, it only consume a few watts doesn't it?

Associate
[RB];22268401 said:
I think the maximum most TV's provide is the standard 500ma.

You could certainly give it a go but it may struggle.

I'm planning on using a remote control mains socket, similar to this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOME-EASY...90432730433?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item5ae79aad41

And programming my Logitech remote to turn it on or off as part of my 'watch movie' activity.

+1 on that use them a lot, have four controlled via remote
ie have ac ryan, apple tv 2, 4 hard drives plugged into one mains controller etc

Associate
3)1080p blu-ray rips I have re-encoded. I need to investigate this more but they freeze every 5 seconds or so for a split sec. I am using DTS-HD pass through which i have heard is problematic?
!

Spoke to soon, connected it to my amp via hdmi instead of my tv and its happily streaming 1080p 5.1 DTS-HD :D

Associate
Do you get an order confirmation with Farnell? I got the email to pre-order and followed it through but it didnt ask to create an account so i am unsure

Associate
For anyone still without a RPi, I *think* they may be available for anyone to order in the near future, with or without a preorder code (at least from PF/e14). Maybe check tomorrow?? :p

Soldato
Got my code to order one but have also been reading up on those little android usb sticks.

I can't decide what to do. Can someone just confirm this will run 1080p files perfectly? and also can someone just go through what else i will need to buy to get it working and running as a little media player.

Associate
Got my code to order one but have also been reading up on those little android usb sticks.

I can't decide what to do. Can someone just confirm this will run 1080p files perfectly? and also can someone just go through what else i will need to buy to get it working and running as a little media player.

I have ripped bluray and re-encoded 1080p mkv video averaging 10-15Mbps plus DTS-HD audio output to my amp. It plays it fine using RaspBMC RC3. This is all streaming from my synology NAS via Upnp.

Also got iplayer, 4od, 5od and itv player installed and working great. Its a great little media hub.

Soldato
So that RaspBMC just goes on a SD card! hmm interesting.

I would be using an external hdd using the usb slot. I don't have network streaming setup :eek: :p

For the price i may just have to order one! how good are the "cases" that RS sell? they look good but theres a few different ones on the auction site also.

So to get this all working i need;
Raspberry Pi
SD Card (Which one would people recommend?)
Micro-USB Charger?
Case
OS

Last edited:
Associate
I have ripped bluray and re-encoded 1080p mkv video averaging 10-15Mbps plus DTS-HD audio output to my amp. It plays it fine using RaspBMC RC3. This is all streaming from my synology NAS via Upnp.

Also got iplayer, 4od, 5od and itv player installed and working great. Its a great little media hub.

I cant get DTS-HD MA working, just 5 channel DTS to my amp. Ive checked the audio settings in xbmc and the clicked all the passthrough buttons. Any ideas where im going wrong?

Last edited:
Associate
I cant get DTS-HD MA working, just 5 channel DTS to my amp. Ive checked the audio settings in xbmc and the clicked all the passthrough buttons. Any ideas where im going wrong?

mmm now thats a question. I assumed that as raspbmc was saying DTS-HD on the popup (when you press enter when something is playing) that it was playing HD audio.

I will need to check tonight and report back. The only audio track with the video is 5.1 DTS-HD pass through so unless its downmixing (if thats the correct term) to 5.1 DTS, surely it must be HD??

Anyway, I'll check it later!

Associate
Bit of a guess as it affected me with CEC support, but is your HDMI cable fully compliant with HDMI 1.3 or later specification?

I swapped it with the cable to my BD player, (a QED HDMI-P that carries DTS-HD and TrueHD fine) but again when connected to the PI just shows as DTS.

Just checked and the QED cable is 1.3 profile.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom