Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
I swapped it with the cable to my BD player, (a QED HDMI-P that carries DTS-HD and TrueHD fine) but again when connected to the PI just shows as DTS.

Just checked and the QED cable is 1.3 profile.

How do you check if its outputting DTS-HD to your amp?

For those who aren't getting pauses every 10 seconds when playing 1080p, what settings are you using in XBMC?

Playing mkv files which are re-encoded blu-ray rips. They have a bit rate of between 10-15Mbps. With DTS-HD audio (supposedly but not sure its outputting the hd audio). I have set refresh rate to 24Hz and audio channels to 5.1. The Pi is connected via HDMI to my Amp first which is in turn connect to my TV. When I connected it direct to my TV, it paused every 5-10 seconds; I think it may have been down mixing to output in 2.0 for my TV.

Last edited:
Soldato
When I connected it direct to my TV, it paused every 5-10 seconds; I think it may have been down mixing to output in 2.0 for my TV.

I'm running it straight to my TV, no 5.1 amp system. I'm not down mixing to 2.0, I've turned that off.

I'll play around a bit more later.

Soldato
How do you push media to the RPi?

MP3s can be done with WMP, but videos don't work. Do I need Samba installed on Openelec? What player will I need for the Windows machine?

aln

aln

Associate
Is it possible to run a mumble server whilst running raspbmc?

Completely possible, but also, I suspect, completely pointless. If you're using the GUI, the CPU will already be struggling. If you're streaming high quality video, your network interface will probably be struggling.

Either way, trying it is easy. Its just debian, you can apt-get whatever you like.

Associate
Has anyone got Remote Desktop working and useable? I have tried a few, and they seem really slow. In fact, everything seems very slow :p

Wanted to use PC in kitchen via the Pi

so, logged on the PI to RDP to your windows machine?

If you are using XBMC, install "rdesktop" on the PI

In terminal:

sudo apt-get install rdesktop

(to connect to the PC)

rdesktop -f xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (the Ip of the PI)

this will start a full screen RDP session, to toggle between full screen and window modes press Ctrl, Alt and Enter.

If you don't want a full screen session ditch the "-f" switch

I use rdesktop from my ubuntu desktop to connect to servers and it works great.

Associate
I want to use my Pi as a media centre (XBMC). Instead of bringing keyboard / mice with me I want to use a remote control. I know I can control it through my Android phone but if I'm correct I need to connect it via LAN or buy a wireless adapter. Can anyone recommend a remote control and what else do I need or is the remote control all I need?

Associate
I want to use my Pi as a media centre (XBMC). Instead of bringing keyboard / mice with me I want to use a remote control. I know I can control it through my Android phone but if I'm correct I need to connect it via LAN or buy a wireless adapter. Can anyone recommend a remote control and what else do I need or is the remote control all I need?

I managed to get my pi raspbmc install controlled using my sony tv's remote. Its not quite perfect but definitely usable.

Check this out:

http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=443&pid=9077#pid9077

It requires a relatively new tv that can use HDMI-CEC.

Associate
Associate
There's an excellent guide here about getting an RC6 MCE IR remote (your standard microsoft media center edition remote control) working with Raspbmc.

Not all the buttons work, for me (although I am still on RC2, can't be bothered to spend 60 seconds updating to RC3 :p), but it makes the remote more than usable (direction and enter buttons work even if the video control buttons don't) :)

I'd actually hazard a guess that if you can get a Harmony to emulate an RC6 remote, it might work...

Back
Top Bottom