Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
I was getting the same thing with my keyboards. Neither are admittedly great-build keyboards for non-Windows use (roccat arvo and valo), the arvo wouldn't function at all, the valo would if I plugged in both USB cables (it has a USB hub on the keyboard so by plugging in both USB cables to the pi it feeds extra power into the keyboard to function).

It's with the valo that I was then getting the repeated keystrokes. I perservered long enough with that craziness to get logged in (best thing that worked for me was stabbing the shift key 3x before every keypress and about a 1/3 seconds between each stab, so shift shift shift p, shift shift shift i, shift shift shift enter, shift shift shift r, etc.!).

Maddenning, but I got in, then enabled remote ssh, rebooted, and pulled the keyboard out - I'm gtg now.
needs more power.

Associate
The power supply is adequate, it would require more power through (say) a powered hub, which I don't have, since there's a hard cap on the USB ports on the pi and they simply weren't enough for the keyboards.

Wasn't going to buy a hub though when it just took 20 mins fiddling about, now I don't need a keyboard attached at all.

Associate
I like the look of these, can't remember who mentioned they were getting one earlier in this thread.

I've got one of the Yoctopuce cases, it's a bit fiddly to put together but looks really nice.
The one I've got has a nice laser etched logo on the top, but it's not shown on the ebay page. The Swiss manufacturer still has the logo shown on their website so it should be the same as the one I've got.

Soldato
Anyone have a clue how to get up wifi on OpenElec?
Have a usb wifi dongle (RTL8188CU chipset) attached but it doesn't appear to work at all.

Primarily just trying to get XBCM Remote (android) working.

Soldato
I've got one of the Yoctopuce cases, it's a bit fiddly to put together but looks really nice.
The one I've got has a nice laser etched logo on the top, but it's not shown on the ebay page. The Swiss manufacturer still has the logo shown on their website so it should be the same as the one I've got.

Cheers, I asked the guy on eBay selling them and he told me:-

"No they don't raspberrypi.org require paying for using the raspberry logo and the case is supplied under the yoctopuce free licence as it was developed between my self and Marc from yoctopuce he sells with the logo but not on eBay and his avg postage cost is 9pounds to the uk unfortunately due to requirements of his credit card agreement for supplying equipment how ever if your total cost exceeds 65pounds postage is free that why I offer the same quality case fit but free postage here in the uk eu is 3.30 postage "

I do like the etched logo, though for a few quid more not sure. Gonna be a few weeks till I get my Raspberry so........

Associate
Hey guys,

I've had my Pi for a while and I have only got round to using it via a monitor/tv today. I found that the initial Colour Square appears, and also the boot screen appears (I have tried Raspbmc/Openelec) but when the kernel finishes loading and I assume the graphics module is loaded, then the screen goes garbled and glitches with horizontal lines.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I have tried setting a few options in the config.txt file to no avail. Specifically hdmi_safe=1 and setting hdmi_group and hdmi_mode to co-incide with my TV.

I have tried two HDMI cables, both of which I know work perfectly, and also two different TV's with the exact same issues on both.

Any help would be appreciated!

Associate
! Forgot about this, just got round to "expressing interest" on the RS Website, hope its not too long before I can order.

No plans yet, but time to get searching to see what I can do with it :D

Associate
You'd think so! I heard 10,000 units were being shipped out a week but I really find that hard to imagine.

How is it hard to imagine?
It took them quite a while to ramp up production, but they are now making 4000 RPi's a day. Granted, there were issues with initial availability but seeing as this was all done by a small charity, what they have managed to achieve is incredible.

Soldato
I too am going to order one from Farnell as they say 5 weeks and the other place is 11.

Can i just confirm that i should also get a Samsung Class 10 card and 1a charger or what one do i get?

Thanks

Associate
Power supply ideally should deliver a bit over 5v and 700mA-1.2A but the raw stats of a power supply don't seem to do it justice:

Also largely depends what you want to do with it, and what you connect to it. Overclocking for example would likely impact the juice a bit.

Check this for SD cards, there's tons that work, but also quite a few that don't (reliably):

http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#SD_cards

Soldato
How is it hard to imagine?
It took them quite a while to ramp up production, but they are now making 4000 RPi's a day. Granted, there were issues with initial availability but seeing as this was all done by a small charity, what they have managed to achieve is incredible.

Sorry, should have put that better, I'd heard RS were shipping 10,000 Pi's a week - given the length of time it took me to get mine and others I know that ordered shortly afterwards who are still waiting, something seems strange.

Farnell on the other hand appear to be much quicker - a mate ordered his Pi weeks after pre-order and got his 2 weeks before me.

Back
Top Bottom