Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

That looks really good, not heard of it before, will look into getting that, wishlisted for now :D
It's a really beautiful game but it's hard as balls - boss battles in particular can be hugely frustrating. I wanted to love it but it just ground me down to the point I didn't feel like carrying on.

Reactions: mrk
I can play with RT reflections enabled at least, but there seems to be a glitch. If you change resolution to say 1080p and then back to whatever you're using the framerate and frame times are fixed. So the 3080FE can handle it just fine, the games just broken.

Needs a lot of patching to sort this mess out.

EDIT: Played through a large chunk of the game with no issues, but the framerate / frametime went to crap again randomly and it crashed shortly after. LOL

This needed another month or so iron on the bugs, Probably worth waiting a month before playing this...

Last edited:
The bosses are pretty hard in this game too!
Compared to the general mobs, sure - but the bosses in R&C feel *fair* to me - when/if I die to them I don't blame the game, I blame myself. Kena is just on a whole 'nother level though - you go into a boss fight in that game, you're annihilated in 30 seconds and come away thinking "WTF just happened??" The balance just felt way off for me and quite 'unfun' (and I've finished Returnal which is just hours and hours of being brutalized).

My recommendation for Kena is to pick it up in a Steam sale and play it up to the first boss (you should be able to get there in less than two hours) - if you get kerb-stomped, get a refund :D

New patch out:

Today's patch addresses issues that have been reported by players since launch. We've implemented several bug fixes and corrected visual bugs, including texture streaming issues and visible flickering of water reflections on certain settings.

This patch also implements a change to improve game stability, based on data from our crash reporting system and user reports. We continue to monitor and investigate crash reports and user feedback and are actively working to improve stability with future updates.

Thanks again for playing Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and for sharing your feedback.

Patch Notes

• Resolved texture streaming issues that could result in certain textures remaining low resolution.
  • Fixed visual issues with water reflections that occurred when ambient occlusion was set to anything other than SSAO.
  • Resolved an issue that caused the interact button prompt to remain visible on the screen.
  • Fixed a visual issue with weapon previews at the vendor when using ultra-wide resolutions.
  • Various bug fixes, stability improvements and optimizations.

If you experience any problems after updating to the latest version, please contact us using this link. As a workaround, you can revert to the previous version of the game. To do this, right-click on the game in Steam, select Properties, then Betas, and select
Previous_Version
from the drop-down menu.

must have been a glitch in the game. I quite and restarted it later and I finished it.
Did someone say Glitch?

48be6c82e40d59b251dc4a758e647b8288f54475.gif

BTW for anyone wanting to try out some Sony games like Ratchet & Clank with a DualSense, they're on pretty steep discount at the moment!

Completed it now, the final boss was tricky but there is a trick to it :p

Tip:

Also got to 96% of finding the last remaining golden bolts and spy bots but cba finding them any more lol.

22 hours to get to completion and 96% all items. I accumulated enough cash to buy every weapon too and level up to max about 90% of them.

Tried it with the directstorage files deleted and performance seems more stable. Weird.

What's the point of directstorage again? the loading transitions are just as fast, slightly higher CPU usage without? lol

Last edited:
Just like the CPU/GPU usage throughout the game, DS will also be improperly optimised. We are largely getting great performance because we are brute forcing it out of the game. It should not be that way though.

Last edited:

The takeaway is that DLSS and DLAA both have the best image quality and detail retention/gain, whilst FSR is still good, it's not quite as good. Internal TAA is pants, as expected. Intel's XeSS offers superb results but the advanced kernel is only usable on Arc GPUs, whilst everyone else utilises the simplified XeSS.

FSR and XeSS temporal stability completely falls apart when moving trees are in the player's view,
:o

There's a reason why DLSS is exclusive to specific hardware, just like how XeSS Advanced kernel can only be utilised on Arc GPUs.

Speaking of performance, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart is a very CPU intensive game on PC, and high-powered GPUs such as the GeForce RTX 4080 can end up CPU bottlenecked in some sequences of the game at 1440p resolution and below. In such a CPU limited scenario, comes very welcome help from the DLSS Frame Generation technology, which has the ability to bypass CPU limitations and provide additional frames. With DLSS Super Resolution in Quality mode and DLSS Frame Generation enabled, you can expect almost doubled performance at 1440p and 4K, and during our testing, overall gameplay felt very smooth and responsive, we haven't spotted any issues with the input latency.

Exactly as I found in my playthrough. The only game I've played so far where there are no DLSS/Frame Gen issues, it's been perfectly implemented and Nvidia should be marketing this aspect more than RTXIO which for all intents and purposes reduces performance in this game than improves as has been demonstrated already earlier.

Last edited:
I went back to find the remaining bolts on the planets to complete the last 4% and so used it as a chance to see what the new patch did. All smooth here with a flat frametime pacing.

If you change any GFX setting then it's best to always restart the game just like before.

Cheers mrk. I'm doing exactly the same procedures as before and it's just not doing the 'fix' now with this latest update. V annoying.
If you aren't already, when swapping resolution for the fix try swapping to an even lower resolution such as 800x600 and back again. I found that I had a couple of places where swapping to 1080p and back again didn't do the fix, but taking it down to 800x600 did. Touch wood, i haven't needed to do this workaround since the last patch

Picked this up and played a decent amount with no problems at all(so far) using a mix of settings/advice provided in here. Just as good as I remembered. I can't believe it's been 2 years since I played it on PS5.

Also, while the mouse and keyboard controls are great, I find using a controller really adds another dimension, especially if you have access to a dualsense

Stunning game this, on the last boss now I think. Have had zero crashes and performance is just fine here (turned off RT AO due to broken water reflections and RT shadows due to not having a huge impact on IQ). It's very rare I replay games now but will definitely be playing this again in a few months time when it has been all patched up to fix/improve the quality of RT AO and shadows. It's a shame that direct storage has ended up to be nothing but a lie, maybe next time!

Have noticed this being another game where CPU optimisation/utilisation is dog **** though especially for amd cpus and the 3d cache is useless (was the same for spiderman too), I'll be binning amd for intel come upgrade time since like their gpus, when they work, they're great but when they don't work, it's a disaster. Find this quite amusing when this happens though since the games are ported from consoles which run all amd hardware so as people love to keep saying, you would think there should no issues like this.....

The takeaway is that DLSS and DLAA both have the best image quality and detail retention/gain, whilst FSR is still good, it's not quite as good. Internal TAA is pants, as expected. Intel's XeSS offers superb results but the advanced kernel is only usable on Arc GPUs, whilst everyone else utilises the simplified XeSS.

:o

There's a reason why DLSS is exclusive to specific hardware, just like how XeSS Advanced kernel can only be utilised on Arc GPUs.

Exactly as I found in my playthrough. The only game I've played so far where there are no DLSS/Frame Gen issues, it's been perfectly implemented and Nvidia should be marketing this aspect more than RTXIO which for all intents and purposes reduces performance in this game than improves as has been demonstrated already earlier.

DLSS as always showing how superior it is :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom