Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

This sheep did make me lol :d

gv8asds.jpg
One of the previous games had a gun called the Sheepinator in it, turning enemies into sheep. Was great fun, and a shame it's not in this one (at least so far)

16hr played, 0 crashes with full settings. Lovely looking game and imo my favourite pc graphics overall. Still have stutter/inconsistent fps at start up and need to change resolution down and back up to gain smooth frame pacing.

9.1 hours here according to Steam, 21% story complete inc the side missions. I enjoyed Trudy the dragon part too have to say, getting those fruits, all 60 of them was kind neat. Best control mechanics of a flying thing I have seen to date in a game too, especially with mouse and keyboard!

9.1 hours here according to Steam, 21% story complete inc the side missions. I enjoyed Trudy the dragon part too have to say, getting those fruits, all 60 of them was kind neat. Best control mechanics of a flying thing I have seen to date in a game too, especially with mouse and keyboard!
Flight controls on an XBox pad were bizarre - right stick for up/down/left/right and inverted y-axis (forward up, back down) by default - what were the devs smoking??

• Wow
Reactions: mrk
Runs fine without RT on my 3080FE, 120FPS with DLSS Quality and everything else maxed.

RT seems broken, halves framerate, GPU usage decreases and it feels horrible.

Last edited:

how did you get the ones on top of stuff?

If you get the ones you can, go do some other stuff then return to Trudy later you will find she now has enough energy to breathe fireballs so can shoot the ones up high and they auto collect.

That's the method I used but I heard that you can get a bird or something that collects them later too if you come back after some main progression - Something like that anyway.

Runs fine without RT on my 3080FE, 120FPS with DLSS Quality and everything else maxed.

RT seems broken, halves framerate, GPU usage decreases and it feels horrible.
Yeah RT is broken, reflections at least anyway, use my settings above for AO to be SSAO not RTAO or anything else, this fixes that to the most degree.

FRAMEPACING FIX

Not read through all posts so this may have been covered, but as with lots of new releases this game has awful framepacing/ judder issues (like Gsync is not working). Credit goes to DSO Gaming for finding this very random fix, but my abridged notes are....

The current fix until this hopefully gets patched is:

- Make sure run FULLSCREEN (NOT "exclusive fullscreen")

- Once in game, go to graphics settings and change resolution to something else AND THEN BACK AGAIN. For me (on a 48" OLED 16:9 screen) If I want to play in my preferred ultra wide 3840x1620, 21:9 I CHANGE to 3840x2160,16:9, THEN set back to 3840x1620 21:9. The RTSS frametime graph then goes perfectly flat and its smooth as silk with no framepacing issues! The difference is night and day.
(NOTE: fps is also better in fullscreen mode compared to exclusive full screen mode, about 20fps+ or more!)

- Turn off Reflex (optional I think but don't need it)

Not played a great deal yet as been trying to fix these fugging framepacing issues, but on the High preset with all RT all on high and DLSS at Quality, I'm getting about 100fps in the opening stages at 3840x1620 on a 3090FE which seems very decent performance to me for the quality of this game and RT being on. Will try maxing out soon...

Last edited:
FRAMEPACING FIX

Not read through all posts so this may have been covered, but as with lots of new releases this game has awful framepacing/ judder issues (like Gsync is not working). Credit goes to DSO Gaming for finding this very random fix, but my abridged notes are....

The current fix until this hopefully gets patched is:

- Make sure run FULLSCREEN (NOT "exclusive fullscreen")

- Once in game, go to graphics settings and change resolution to something else AND THEN BACK AGAIN. For me (on a 48" OLED 16:9 screen) If I want to play in my preferred ultra wide 3840x1620, 21:9 I CHANGE to 3840x2160,16:9, THEN set back to 3840x1620 21:9. The RTSS frametime graph then goes perfectly flat and its smooth as silk with no framepacing issues! The difference is night and day.
(NOTE: fps is also better in fullscreen mode compared to exclusive full screen mode, about 20fps+ or more!)

- Turn off Reflex (optional I think but don't need it)

Not played a great deal yet as been trying to fix these fugging framepacing issues, but on the High preset with all RT all on high and DLSS at Quality, I'm getting about 100fps in the opening stages at 3840x1620 on a 3090FE which seems very decent performance to me for the quality of this game and RT being on. Will try maxing out soon...
I find the fix needs repeating most times the environment changes, such as changing dimension. Also I sometimes found the fix didn't work, until I discovered in that particular area, I had to lower to an even lower res. So now I switch between native and 800x600 and back to native to be sure.

If you get the ones you can, go do some other stuff then return to Trudy later you will find she now has enough energy to breathe fireballs so can shoot the ones up high and they auto collect.

That's the method I used but I heard that you can get a bird or something that collects them later too if you come back after some main progression - Something like that anyway.
got them all. it went really slow (not fps just sow motion for a bit) then went back to normal

• Wow
I find the fix needs repeating most times the environment changes, such as changing dimension. Also I sometimes found the fix didn't work, until I discovered in that particular area, I had to lower to an even lower res. So now I switch between native and 800x600 and back to native to be sure.

That's useful to know cheers. The game clearly needs patches for this. Yet again, yet another big name release is just really poor at launch with basic issues around framepacing. I thought Nixees were supposed to decent for ports. It's getting tiresome being a PC gamer....

Last edited:
Frametime is perfectly flat for me now simply by not enabling Reflex/Frame Gen - Although this is in part due to the stability issues with those enabled it seems. Either way, AO set to SSAO sorted the reflections on water, and everything now is perfect with the above screenshot settings. I can play for 2 hours and the frames won't drop or have any performance issues at all now.

Even during heavy action the framerate is ~100fps throughout and the frametime graph nice and flat. There's only a momentary spike later on when you reach the planet with the crystals you hammer to change the dimension, just a split second hitch on the graph but as the screen transitions through white, it's hard to tell if that hitch results in a split second on-screen hitch too. Either way, it's very smooth at 5160x2160.

^ I did die on that bit a lot, just not enough health but then realised I need to strategically use the skills I've currently acquired lol.

Also the one thing I really like are the helmet glass reflections of what's in front of you:

NNjEBn5.jpg

LmQ4tBj.jpg

Things like that are done really well and you can see yourself moving about too in good detail on shiny surfaces including the distortion/parallax etc :D

mNe21tf.gif

Round of applause for the control mechanics with mouse and keyboard once again, they have 100% nailed it. Best third person controls I've played yet on PC I'd say. No complex combos or anything to memorise, it just feel instantly second nature!

Back
Top Bottom