Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

And I'm 100% done :cool:

pnrSBtZl.jpg

no lifing it I see

Nah well done mate

Have to say with the framepacing fix I mentioned last page, this game runs beautifully on a 3090 at almost max settings and looks fantastic. Getting around 100fps on average at the mo at 3840x1620 DLSS quality, perfectly smooth. It's also using 15GB Vram so that's another game that finally makes the 3090 with 24GB feel like a 'wise' / 'less stupid' (take your pick) purchase for someone that doesn't upgrade my GPU that often.

Started getting some random crashes to desktop though with GPU driver message (I'm using latest recommended). Seems to be a known issue that will need patches?

Also, another niggle, but I got some pauses in the intro section when it was doing the warping through portals stuff. I'm running this game off a Gen4 NVME with 5000MB/s speeds, Windows 11 and am supposedly 'direct storage ready' - so what's going on there?

Last edited:
Hmm that is interesting, I haven't seen much more than 13GB VRAM use from the game alone so far, or do you mean total VRAM usage was 15GB? Because that would make more sense since the OS and apps in the BG use some VRAM too.

Lots of screens here:

Also, another niggle, but I got some pauses in the intro section when it was doing the warping through portals stuff. I'm running this game off a Gen4 NVME with 5000MB/s speeds, Windows 11 and am supposedly 'direct storage ready' - so what's going on there?
This seems totally a lottery at this point. What's your platform again, AMD? With a Z690 and also a Gen 4 (speed doesn't make a difference but my drive is 7000MB/s and has a DirectStorage optimised firmware) I had only seen one hitch on the first big rift which can also be seen in the frametime graph at that moment, the rest were smooth. You can see it at this timestamp: https://youtu.be/et90-2ypdjk?t=1391

There's also a deceptive and almost imperceptible hitch when you hammer the stones later in the game to change dimension, they've hidden it inside the white screen so they clearly knew this was happening and had to mask it somehow through a white screen transition :cry:

YTfROoS.gif

Last edited:
Should have clarified, yeah they're higher, but in relative terms the baseline is high anyway - An interesting note though for sure and will be sure to help the more mid range spec systems!

What is interesting though...
... Is that the load times and rift passing times are no different with DS disabled. This indicates that DS is not well optimised in this game, and that we PC gamers have been experiencing the fast loads and rift passes at a level that is only slower than PS5 by about 1 second as shown in the other video from a couple of days ago. The fact that we are getting PS5 unified memory levels of performance from rift transitions in the first segment of the game means that if they actually do end up optimising for DS properly with a future patch, then the results will be that the PC finishes that segment faster instead.

Again, this is all pointing to a poorly optimised port and the inclusion of DirectStorage 1.2 (RTX IO) is purely a marketing item at the moment.

Last edited:
That benchmark looks kind of weird with a 900 frame difference between the two runs.

One thing you need to check is how much your CPU is working with DS off vs on.

Don’t forget the Ps5 offloads all that decompression processing onto a separate asic so the CPU and GPU only needs to be concerned about running the game and an optimised compression algorithm to go with it but that’s not too relevant to the topic.

I re-ran the test because the above run with DS off lasted 8 seconds longer hence the extra frames, but largely this makes little difference, the numbers are conclusive and not margin of error.

DS On 30-07-2023, 22:09:20 RiftApart.exe benchmark completed, 3315 frames rendered in 35.890 s Average framerate : 92.3 FPS Minimum framerate : 76.9 FPS Maximum framerate : 105.9 FPS 1% low framerate : 62.9 FPS 0.1% low framerate : 41.0 FPS DS Off 30-07-2023, 22:18:32 RiftApart.exe benchmark completed, 3599 frames rendered in 35.516 s Average framerate : 101.3 FPS Minimum framerate : 91.8 FPS Maximum framerate : 112.3 FPS 1% low framerate : 75.0 FPS 0.1% low framerate : 45.2 FPS

As for CPU usage with DS on vs off:

DS On:
Max CPU usage: 50.1 %

DS Off:
Max CPU usage: 50.5 %

I took these numbers from HWINFO64 after each run, resetting the values before each run and including the loading of the game from Steam too because DS would be detected and used from load so it's important to factor the loading of the game into showing CPU usage. So yeah, no CPU usage difference at all.

8wUhhtA.jpg

^ The test was done on this level right at the start where you have the vendor, I loaded that save, hover booted to the ship, turned around and continued to hover to the teleport pad and teleported, then hovered down the walk bridge and as soon as the portal was usable, went through then hovered back to the teleport pad, then hovered over to the merchant totalling 35 seconds before existing the game.

Last edited:
The one with the arms through portal? You have to keep shooting the front of the arm and he will then get weaker. You then enter his body and destroy his heart lol. That's also not the end boss, there's an end-end boss! It's an End to End adventure. I am now at 91%, basically at the end boss now and he killed me a lot so I'm giving it a rest for a day.

Last edited:
This review actually shows side by sound sound comparison with the PS5, and as expected, the PC version has superior sound fidelity :D

Amazing game for sure!

I had to turn off Raytracing Ambient Occlusion though as even when I gained 15fps from turning off Direct Storage, it was still tanking out once I got to the second level. So instead of 35fps, it's now around 60fps. But I left Raytracing Reflections on as they are NICE!
I think my 3070 TI OC needs a nice 4080 upgrade hah

Last edited:
RTAO is broken anyway so it's advised you turn it off and set AO to SSAO so water reflections actually show up, as any other settings and they vanish!

I've increased depth of field quality to highest now as found the quality of the effect when set to low looks a bit early 2000s, too artificial, whereas the max quality mode at least looks more natural and pleasing to the eye. No impact of framerate either.

I just skimmed through the 2016 movie, seems only 1080p available and no 4K so not as easy to pick out detail but overall there's a lot less complexity in the CGI movie lol, the game looks more CG than the CG movie. What a time we live in for gaming :D (ok I know it was on PS5 in 2021 but we have the definitive edition now on PC with higher visuals).

I just skimmed through the 2016 movie, seems only 1080p available and no 4K so not as easy to pick out detail but overall there's a lot less complexity in the CGI movie lol, the game looks more CG than the CG movie. What a time we live in for gaming :D (ok I know it was on PS5 in 2021 but we have the definitive edition now on PC with higher visuals).
Agreed - whilst we might not be quite at photo-realism yet (we're getting close), 'Pixar' quality gaming is definitely a thing now - R&C is great, though I'd argue that Kena: Bridge of Spirits has better animation (I hit a wall on that game's difficulty though).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom