RC cars

Soldato
Depends what you are looking for in RC. If its just to go fast and bash around probably not Tamiya. Personally though, I would get Tamiya, a TT02. It's simple to build, will be slow enough for a beginner to learn and upgradable as ability improves.

At my local club we have a TT02 class. Completely stock, motor, tyres all the same and no mods. After a very short time we now have 2 heats worth of TT02s

Will take a look, if it ain't built for smashing that is ok, just need to be sure he understands that lol.

Soldato
Will take a look, if it ain't built for smashing that is ok, just need to be sure he understands that lol.

Only thing we've found with TT02s is the front drive shaft can pop out really easy. You can get universal joint shafts for not a lot which solves it. Other than that we've had no breakages from 12+ cars.

Have a think what you're going to use it for first before buying. You can buy some kind of brushless truck but it will be fast which isn't always the best start.

If it's something you both intend to do regularly, see if you have any clubs in the area and have a look at what they run. You could always buy an old ish racer if that was the direction you want to go. Least it gives you a reasons for using it rather than just bashing around (I know a lot of folk don't mind bashing but it's not for me)

TT02, with bearings, radio gear, charger, couple of batteries, paint, odds and sods wouldn't be much more than £200.

44056856945_d3a680c129_z.jpg

Soldato
Prices certainly seemed to have gone up over than last 20years.

Yeah I'm in no rush. He doesn't need it under the tree for Christmas. It'll teach him how to handle disappointment lol!

Soldato
Might not be what you're looking for but there is a clone of the Tamiya Bruiser floating about the internet priced at £150 ish and it includes everything you need. I have one and decided not to use the battery but it is a Bruiser in all but name. Not bad for truck that costs nearly £600 just for the kit (genuine)

Soldato
It's an exact copy. No one really knows how but there's lots of rumours. It's an old design by todays standards but seems as good a quality as Tamiya. Radio gear isn't first rate but useable. Battery felt really cheap so binned it. Runs fine, changes gears fine. For the money it's a bargain.

Soldato
Dont know how Tamiya havent waded in with this one. Probably too hard to stop.
http://www.toucanhobby.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=2608

Must do some maintenance on my 1/10th Himoto Desert car and then the boys and I can go find some dirt to race in. Be interesting to see what my WMToys A979 is like as it is ludicrously fast its almost uncontrollable. Cornering is a beast as once it flips it rolls over 10 times or more. Already full of scrapes on the body and hardly used it. Although it runs better with upgraded shocks. Certainly pays to heed people who say if you want a "hobbyist" RC car check you can get the spares first!

Man of Honour
I'll feel (very slightly) guilty about it but think I may have one of those toyatos in my future. Wish it was a kit. Just don't get why everything has gone RTR - the build is 90% of the fun.

Man of Honour
The HG P407A "Bruiser Clone" can be had for £140 ish as a kit to build. Only about £20 in it from kit to RTR.

Thanks for that, just had a look. Hard to pass up on the ESC and to a lesser degree the radio gear for £20 difference. Not that I need any more transmitters!

Can't type for toffee
Don
Hey chaps,

My nephew has asked for a RC monster truck for xmas and his mum has sent me a link to a £30 jobby on eBay, I'm guessing theres absolutely no point in buying one of these.
Whats the best value starter car (hes 8) so I expect it to get trashed pretty quickly so not really wanting to spend hundreds

Associate
Soldato
Don't know if you've bought anything yet, but cheapest way to get new traxxas in the Uk at the moment is via modelsport etc on ebay when ebay has a coupon on, like today with the 10% code they have.
Hey. Not yet. Kinda decided, but wondering if he is still a little too young.
Don't want to introduce him to stuff too young that it is frustrating for him.

I say that but he is awesome on the switch...he could almost run his own walkthroughs on YouTube lol.

Thanks for the tip, will defo look at this way when we do buy.

Associate
Hey all.

Looking to get an RC car for my lads 7th in April.

I've built a tamiya about 20 years ago . About 7 years a go I got rid of it all. It was electric and had some upgrades like an ECU etc.

Would need all new.

Willing to spend £300-£350 for everything we need. Should say this is more me as well :)

Be nice if it could be upgradable for the future.

Would drive it mostly on the road around our estate and the local park, BMX park.

Thoughts?

I believe brusless and lipo are the way to go now when electric?

I would be looking at a HPI Firestorm 10T or Traxxas Rustler XL-5 iD. These are both brushed but capable of running 2s LiPo.

My youngest has just turned 4 and we got him the Rustler and running it on 2s, he's only had a little go in the car park but taking him out tomorrow for a good run. Can't speak for it's durability as it's not really been used yet. Also the first Traxxas we have had.

The Firestorm I have plenty of experience with. I have one and so does my eldest, he's 7. I bought his as a brushed Firestorm and when he was ready to move to brushless I moved the motor and ESC from my Firestorm Flux to his and got myself a new combo.

I've not been kind to this car at all, it really takes a beating. I broke an A-arm once and that's it. Never replaced a part on my sons. It will take way more hits to break than a Tamiya, that's for sure.

I think either of these cars would suit you well and both capable of handling a brushless combo when ready. Parts readily available for both.

I buy most of my Rc's from Modelsport, LiPo's from Hobbyking.

Back
Top Bottom