RC cars

Caporegime
I got a Tamiya Hornet kit for my Christmas one year. Then had to wait until September for the RC kit for it! Was awesome though and chuffing fast too! Not sure what happened to it either. Might still be in my parents loft.

Soldato
Had a Tyco Bandit as a kid in the early 90’s, bloody thing went like poop out of a goose and was damn near unstoppable. Only issue with it being so fast was that it’d run out of it’s controller’s range if you weren’t careful, and would just keep going until it eventually hit something going full tilt. Spent ages glueing it back together. :D

Soldato
My nipper got a carerra mario Kart rc car a few years ago for his birthday, and it went like the clappers. Really fast over wooden floors or carpet.

Soldato
I got a Tamiya Hornet kit for my Christmas one year. Then had to wait until September for the RC kit for it! Was awesome though and chuffing fast too! Not sure what happened to it either. Might still be in my parents loft.

I swapped my Master system for a Hornet and lots of spares. Was great fun and quick although the battery packs did not last long. We used to build jumps out of milk crates and road signs.... lol....

Caporegime
I bought my daughter a wltoys stadium raider. 1/18th scale a couple of years ago. Cost £35 from China and is a lot quicker than my Tamiya Celica GT-Four I had as a kid. Last a lot longer with lipo batteries as well. Ni-Cad were really terrible. I never understood the hype with Tamiya anyway. Yes their bodys were the best but the chassis always left a lot to be desired. Plastic bushes, non locking differentials. Only able to accept stick batteries. My associated TC3 was in a different league.

Soldato
I bought my daughter a wltoys stadium raider. 1/18th scale a couple of years ago. Cost £35 from China and is a lot quicker than my Tamiya Celica GT-Four I had as a kid. Last a lot longer with lipo batteries as well. Ni-Cad were really terrible. I never understood the hype with Tamiya anyway. Yes their bodys were the best but the chassis always left a lot to be desired. Plastic bushes, non locking differentials. Only able to accept stick batteries. My associated TC3 was in a different league.

People use plastic bushes in real cars (polyurethane). They never rot :p

Associate
First semi-decent car was a Tandy Turbo Fox, cost 30 quid in the late 80s. Had a speed selector switch on the back- actually pretty quick in 'Hi' mode, but took an age to get there...
Took me years to kill that thing. Built like a brick outhouse.

Kinda fell out of the hobby before getting much further into it, but a few years ago I picked up a couple of nitro cars on Ebay, one road car and a Hobao Hyper 7 buggy.
They're still sat in a box. Haven't used them once! I'll get round to it one day...

Soldato
Losi 1/18 cars are decent for kids, fast and tough but expensive.

wltoys 12428, very popular, fast-ish and loads of parts available and quite cheap RTR from ebay/banggod etc.

Soldato
I don’t think anything in life has ever got me as pumped up as the advert for the rebound 4x4.

That's what my little brother had. My parents still have it but the controller is dead. I had some green lizard thing, may have been a Tandy special. That thing took 8 AAs iirc. I've bought my kids some little cheap things from Amazon and they're great, but too small for outside use (1:24 scale), they were around a tenner so not exactly expensive, but as the kids are young I didn't want to spend a fortune and these (and my skirting:p) have suffered a lot of abuse.

Back
Top Bottom