RC cars

Soldato
made a start on reinforcing the front tower but had to go out and ran out of time, gonna put a thinner bit below the new bits right along it, not pretty but if it stops it bending and takes my mind of stuff all the better, i have so much free time to do stuff to models :)

stripped down the dbx or as we call it the dbfail for spare screws etc and a second chassis to dremmel the hell out of :)

dbfail when new and bought a hardly used one for spares and nearly ran out of spares lol :
ZUkQmFt.jpg
prYjCRC.jpg
EhZnsNq.jpg
PKIsxrx.jpg
P7Voq9w.jpg

now should i fit a bigger pinion gear to it? my 19 tooth pinion along with 2 packs of hobao screws showed up the other day that i had on back order, using a 17 tooth one :p

edit: decided to rethink the front tower reinforcement and done a much better job :)
dQVCemC.jpg
0YNjd1R.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
done dads one earlier and it is much smoother plus went through 2 metal brush attachments on the dremmel to smooth it down and remove the blue :)

FlBWksA.jpg

DtQQJwK.jpg

had to considerably straighten out his original one, hopefully that will give it a bit more strength :)

Soldato
Decided on a full refurb of my vintage Bigwig with a few upgrades thrown in. Started the process of stripping it down, cleaning and assessing what’s needed as well as buying a few bits. Not sure how much of the original car will be left by the time I’m done but I’m hoping to at least keep it looking relatively original. Original plastic dampers were all seized up so decided on some alloy replacements rather than rebuilding them and will also be replacing the coat hanger style center shaft with an alloy dog bone type. Still deciding what to do about driveshafts, originals are worn out so need replacing, just need to decide whether to stick with standard dog bones, look into the CVD options or go full retard and spend a pile of money on a MIP ball diff upgrade. Electronics wise I’ll probably end up robbing some modern gear from one of my on-road cars so it’ll probably end up running brushless/LiPo. Main thing holding me up is one of my gearbox casings is cracked so I need replacements but nowhere seems to have stock right now.

Only took 4 months, but I finally got replacement gearbox casings on Friday. Built the car up today and took it out for a quick bash. Pretty sure that the main chassis is about the only period part now!

Seems quick enough and drives nicely, happy with how it’s come out overall although I did lose one of my new front tyres (was doing a donut and it came off the rim then went into the bottom of the hedge somewhere at great speed - can’t see where it’s gone so I’ll have a proper look after we’ve had the hedge cut in a couple of weeks). Also think I got water in the ESC as that seems to have started misbehaving and is now drying out in the garage.

Associate
Sorry to ask such a basic question - but my son has just been told he has to self-isolate for 10 days, and I'm thinking of novel ways to pass the days.

Given that it's sunny and we can be outside, is there a reliable RC car that can cope with a lumpy garden (not massive lumps, just not flat...) and doesn't cost too much?

Associate
Hi recently acquired a Baja 5b 36cc , looking for places to take it in Telford ( Shropshire) and any fellow petrol RC owners , need to find somewhere where I wont upset the locals or the authoritys , thanks for your time !

Soldato
I wonder if any of you more knowledgable guys might be able to point me in the right direction.

I have an HPI e-Frirestorm flux. Have to admit, it's hardly been used for years. But managed to get it out for a bit of a play last weekend. All went fine, but then when I stopped using it for a while, returned to it 30 mins later, and no longer has any drive.

Steering is working, so not a transmitter error. When you accelerate or reverse, the correct lights are lighting up on the ESC. But - I'm sure that you normally expect a couple of beeps when you first connect the battery, and those are not occurring.

Do you think it's safe to assume the motor has packed in? Or does the lack of beeps suggest the ESC?

What would your advice be for diagnosis / repair?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Soldato
I wonder if any of you more knowledgable guys might be able to point me in the right direction.

I have an HPI e-Frirestorm flux. Have to admit, it's hardly been used for years. But managed to get it out for a bit of a play last weekend. All went fine, but then when I stopped using it for a while, returned to it 30 mins later, and no longer has any drive.

Steering is working, so not a transmitter error. When you accelerate or reverse, the correct lights are lighting up on the ESC. But - I'm sure that you normally expect a couple of beeps when you first connect the battery, and those are not occurring.

Do you think it's safe to assume the motor has packed in? Or does the lack of beeps suggest the ESC?

What would your advice be for diagnosis / repair?

Thanks in advance!
Battery voltage below the cutoff? What battery do you use - do you have a voltage checker?

Soldato
Good thought. I have two batteries - but the one I'd just been using might have been close to finished, and I don't know that the other isn't stuffed (although I had just charged it).

I'll re-charge the known working one and see if that solves it.

Soldato
Good thought. I have two batteries - but the one I'd just been using might have been close to finished, and I don't know that the other isn't stuffed (although I had just charged it).

I'll re-charge the known working one and see if that solves it.
What chemistry are they - some will not standup well to being unused / discharged for long periods

Back
Top Bottom