RC cars

Soldato
I bought a Kraton 6S v5 a few weeks ago to go with my Typhon 3s. Surprised how different they are, the Kraton is awesome though but I've had a few teething problems no doubt caused by my poor driving. Wish there was a BMX track or something like that near me to use on but ramps in a field is what I'm using at the moment. Have the urge to buy an Outcast as well :)

Soldato
OK, definitely not the safety cutoff. Battery fully charged and still no dice. I even went to the extent of turning off the LiPo shut off temporarily, and still nothing.

I'd be convinced that the motor was to blame:
Transmitter is clearly working, steering working, ESC is reacting exactly as you'd expect in terms of the message lights.

Except that the manual confirms the ESC is supposed to give beep messages too. Seems unlikely that the audio on the ESC has broken and the motor has broken at exactly the same time. So as odd as it would seem for the two symptoms of a broken ESC to be no output to the motor and speaker broken, I have to suspect the ESC is to blame.

Soldato
Used to have a Team Losi Mini 8 with some strong lipo batteries and that thing was crazy fast, it would flip over if you gave it too much throttle.
They dont seem to sell them anymore sadly, they were a great little starter ready built RC Car that was very affordable at the time and included everything to get going.

Soldato
Used to have a Team Losi Mini 8 with some strong lipo batteries and that thing was crazy fast, it would flip over if you gave it too much throttle.
They dont seem to sell them anymore sadly, they were a great little starter ready built RC Car that was very affordable at the time and included everything to get going.
This is the successor:
https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/332...luRjNziqmAfRJ_9kXDKw3c8CcJfg0pKBoCEBMQAvD_BwE

Pretty sure the Mini8 disappeared when Horizon Hobby purchased Losi

Soldato
OK, definitely not the safety cutoff. Battery fully charged and still no dice. I even went to the extent of turning off the LiPo shut off temporarily, and still nothing.

I'd be convinced that the motor was to blame:
Transmitter is clearly working, steering working, ESC is reacting exactly as you'd expect in terms of the message lights.

Except that the manual confirms the ESC is supposed to give beep messages too. Seems unlikely that the audio on the ESC has broken and the motor has broken at exactly the same time. So as odd as it would seem for the two symptoms of a broken ESC to be no output to the motor and speaker broken, I have to suspect the ESC is to blame.

I had a fairly similar experience when I revived my Bigwig earlier in the year. Put in an old brushless esc/motor combo that hadn’t been run in years, ran it once and it just died with no drive, esc lights behaving as normal but no sounds. Whilst trying to research whether it was likely to be the motor or esc that had gone bad (I’ve got plenty of brushed gear but this was my only brushless hardware) I learned that the ‘beeps’ that a brushless esc makes are actually generated by pulsing the motor coils. Without a motor connected you won’t get the sounds. I was pretty sure something had blown in the drive electronics in the esc but decided it was most cost effective to buy a new motor/esc combo both to allow me to have confidence that I’d have a working and properly matched system and to allow me to swap parts around and confirm that the esc was dead (It was)

Soldato
That's interesting, thank you! So that brings me round the other way to suspecting it's the motor. :D

Although... possibly not given your final finding.

It would be much easier to decide whether to try ESC or motor first if one of them was much cheaper than the other - but they're both £60 each!

Soldato
I managed to find a kind local who allowed me to sit our cars side by side and use various components alongside each other, and have diagnosed the ESC.

I have bought a replacement (Hobbywing 10BL120) only to realise that I've bought one with 3.5mm bullet connectors for the motor, and my current motor has 4mm. So waiting for a delivery of adapter cables now before I can put it all back together.

Soldato
I bought a Kraton 6S v5 a few weeks ago to go with my Typhon 3s. Surprised how different they are, the Kraton is awesome though but I've had a few teething problems no doubt caused by my poor driving. Wish there was a BMX track or something like that near me to use on but ramps in a field is what I'm using at the moment. Have the urge to buy an Outcast as well :)

Again the outcast is different with its shorter wheelbase than the Kraton, it's hard keep the front end down and mid air flips are fantastic with it, I love mine on the high gear, it will lift it's front end even at near top speed if I fully gun it.

Soldato
Again the outcast is different with its shorter wheelbase than the Kraton, it's hard keep the front end down and mid air flips are fantastic with it, I love mine on the high gear, it will lift it's front end even at near top speed if I fully gun it.

Since my original post I've continued to have issues with the Kraton, I just find that whenever I use it something else breaks, something I don't have parts for, probably the worst RC purchase I've made :(

Associate
Happiest days of my life running Tamiya cars with my mates in the late 80's early 90's.

The Thunder Shot and Sonic Fighter are originals new in box, the rest are re-re's.

IMG-0285-1.jpg

IMG-0283.jpg

Caporegime
I managed to find a kind local who allowed me to sit our cars side by side and use various components alongside each other, and have diagnosed the ESC.

I have bought a replacement (Hobbywing 10BL120) only to realise that I've bought one with 3.5mm bullet connectors for the motor, and my current motor has 4mm. So waiting for a delivery of adapter cables now before I can put it all back together.
couldnt you just solder on the old connectors?
maybe your old ESC got water damaged, you can water proof them with a baloon/johnny ;) assuming it doesn't have a fan.

it if does there's some liquid you can buy that you dip the whole ESC in that makes it water proof, I can't remember what it's called though

Soldato
The old ESC was a waterproof one (as is the new one). It's quite possible that it had a minor issue which could have been fixed. But the difficulty (for me at least) of diagnosing the exact issue would have been far more hassle than simply replacing it.

The adaptor cables cost a couple of quid, and worked perfectly. All is back into working order now.

I also succumbed to the temptation of a 3s LiPo battery while I was buying things anyway. Haven't managed to take it anywhere big enough yet, but looking forward to the lunacy next time I do.

Soldato
Since my original post I've continued to have issues with the Kraton, I just find that whenever I use it something else breaks, something I don't have parts for, probably the worst RC purchase I've made :(

I may be lucky bit I have broke nothing on mine which is surprising considering the bashing I have give it.

Only thing I ever get is popping the front dogbones out really.

Soldato
just built a grass hopper 2 and a dt-03 racing fighter recently and my dad built a wild one re-release which was the first ever rc car i ever touched :)

got rid of my fish tanks and have more room for rc stuff now :)
PVMLahV.jpg.png

started with the shell as doing the shell is annoying and i always worry ill screw it up
DQc8qTZ.jpg

woot its ready to go
p5J0KuL.jpg.png

dads brushless triton and my fresh built dt-03 with a ancient 3250kv brushless system on 2s
eVJBWnR.jpg

oh grasshopper 2 black edition, think ill get a white shell for it and it is called hoppy 2 as i have a grasshopper 1 on a 380 motor
JeduzTv.jpg

hoppy 2 has a 540 size motor in it 21 turn on a nimh and it really is hopping mad, it came with oil shocks but they are usless just bounces and bump steers every where but that is what makes it fun :)
8kB2cjN.jpg

Gj33HX9.jpg

a hyper vse servo in hoppy 2 and i broke it but fixed it :p
Mmlgpuj.jpg
lpEjm8o.jpg

hobbywing 1060 esc and a receiver for my dx5c
KV7vyoW.jpg

coming together
CXNSwzd.jpg

oops 540 size motor hitting the oil shocks
vTC4qkW.jpg

no room for a 5th shock like on the lunch box so i did this
NCkWha4.jpg
fOyb7to.jpg

was good fun building a couple tamiyas again one ancient from 1980s and a modern one, had hoppy 2 out with dads new wild one earlier and had loads of fun and i can see how the wild one my dad used to have crashed a lot :)

Last edited:
Associate
I've recently got the itch to get back into this. Problem is I can't decide what.

I had a Hornet and then a Hotshot in the late 80's/early 90's.

I don't have those now, but there's a couple of local race tracks that cater for 1/8, 1/10, off & on-road (even a new Crawler category) and too many purchase options available.

I don't want Nitro, I'm happy with Electric, but can't decide on scale or make. Only reason, as a kid, I went Tamiya is because they were cheap compared to the Schumachers and Kyosho's of the time (and even then, there was envy over anyone who had Tamiya's Avante).

Soldato
I've recently got the itch to get back into this. Problem is I can't decide what.

I don't have those now, but there's a couple of local race tracks that cater for 1/8, 1/10, off & on-road (even a new Crawler category) and too many purchase options available.

I don't want Nitro, I'm happy with Electric, but can't decide on scale or make. Only reason, as a kid, I went Tamiya is because they were cheap compared to the Schumachers and Kyosho's of the time (and even then, there was envy over anyone who had Tamiya's Avante).
Where are you looking to buy from, I'm very interested but never took the plunge. I'd love to get my drone to follow it.

Soldato

I was in the same boat as you and used to have a Hotshot 2 in the late eighties. I ended up with an Arrma Kraton 6s which was like new but found second hand on eBay. Had a couple of breakages early on but just upgraded the arms as they broke and it's been pretty much bullet proof. It does become a bit of a bug as part upgrades are pretty cheap and it's nice to work on.

Associate
Where are you looking to buy from, I'm very interested but never took the plunge. I'd love to get my drone to follow it.
There's a couple of local places to me, SC Models & Herts RC Models.

I was in the same boat as you and used to have a Hotshot 2 in the late eighties. I ended up with an Arrma Kraton 6s which was like new but found second hand on eBay. Had a couple of breakages early on but just upgraded the arms as they broke and it's been pretty much bullet proof. It does become a bit of a bug as part upgrades are pretty cheap and it's nice to work on.
Ah, yes, I looked at Arrma, but my other criteria is i'd like to build it first, and the Arrma's all seem to be RTR's :(

Back
Top Bottom