• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RDNA 3 rumours Q3/4 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
"gaming segment down" charge less then.
Pretty sure they're going to do the opposite.

Joe Moore -- Morgan Stanley -- Analyst

Great. And then as a follow-up on -- just wondering how you think about competition in microprocessors in the context of -- for the last four years, either you or Intel has generally been constrained, Intel for a couple of years than you for the last couple of years. As those constraints ease and obviously, Intel utilization probably falls a little bit here. Could you talk about what you anticipate pricing wise? Do you think anything changes? Or does this continue to be kind of a value-priced market?

Lisa Su -- Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

Well, I think, Joe, it is -- I mean, we always assume that it's going to be a very competitive market. I think it depends a little bit on where you're talking about within the market. But on the data center side, what we have found is pricing is not sort of the first factor that customers are paying attention to. It's really total cost of ownership.

So the performance and the sort of the performance per dollar equation is very important there and sort of the power efficiency. As we go into the PC market, we've deliberately focused our PC market on, let's call it, the more premium segments. So gaming as well as high end sort of the ultra-premium, as well as the commercial segments. And again, I think those are much more about the product.

There are some parts of the PC market that are very price sensitive, like the low end. And like I said, we've tried to reduce our exposure there going forward. So I think -- I don't think the dynamics change a lot. I think it's always a very competitive market and the key thing there is to have a very strong roadmap.

Caporegime
An AMD APU is just as quick as the new Intel GPU offerings.....
she didnt state anything about GPU though so I'm assuming she meant CPU.
wasn't it the one area where they didn't really challenge intel

The question was also about the last couple of years so probably meant CPUs

Soldato
Premium segment means premium prices.
what does she mean by reduce eposure to low end? they aren't even going to try and compete with intel for bang for buck or what?
Well if we look at it the low-end segment died with the RX 480. They've been mostly running in place ever since with only very slight improvements (both AMD & NV) and the real perf/$ gains from new GPUs keep getting pushed to more expensive GPUs. The only thing they really improved since the 480 has been cutting the power consumption, but otherwise 480, 580, 590, 5500 XT, 6500 XT are all in the same ballpark of performance, and only 6500 XT has at least the new features of DX12 but at the same time got gimped in other major ways such as vram etc. Nvidia cared even less about these segments, but you can see them pushing regressions as well, f.ex. 3050 < 2060; or also stagnating, 1080 Ti = 2080, 3060 = 2060 Super etc. It's only really as you go well above $500 that you start seeing them still making moves but otherwise it's pretty dismal.

For AMD CPUs it's clear as well, you can see the R3 line being pretty zombified and generally they've not bothered making much of with anything below an R5 X600 ever since Zen 2.

Associate
Well if we look at it the low-end segment died with the RX 480. They've been mostly running in place ever since with only very slight improvements (both AMD & NV) and the real perf/$ gains from new GPUs keep getting pushed to more expensive GPUs. The only thing they really improved since the 480 has been cutting the power consumption, but otherwise 480, 580, 590, 5500 XT, 6500 XT are all in the same ballpark of performance, and only 6500 XT has at least the new features of DX12 but at the same time got gimped in other major ways such as vram etc. Nvidia cared even less about these segments, but you can see them pushing regressions as well, f.ex. 3050 < 2060; or also stagnating, 1080 Ti = 2080, 3060 = 2060 Super etc. It's only really as you go well above $500 that you start seeing them still making moves but otherwise it's pretty dismal.

For AMD CPUs it's clear as well, you can see the R3 line being pretty zombified and generally they've not bothered making much of with anything below an R5 X600 ever since Zen 2.

Sadly I agree, which is why we desperately need a new player to push competition.
If you take a look at the Steam GPU charts (as flawed as the survey might be) you can see that the top 10 doesn't have anything more powerful than what we could get in the last truly affordable generation (Pascal).
When you exclude AAA (who can afford to focus on consoles as baseline) the average developer will look at that chart and keep developing as if it's still 2016, because there is no point in pushing much harder than that.

This is 2022 so our bottom performance of course looks different (APUs are starting to offer a decent alternative) but on the other side this means having to wait APUs to catch up and surpass 2016 mid range performance!
Will this happen in this gen with RDNA2 and DDR5? Even then, we're looking at 400-500€, definitely more than what a 1060 costed!

Caporegime
Tinfoil hat time.....

Given the news yesterday of callisto protocol partnering up with amd and then seeing this news about the RT:

ynMK1Ys.png

Game is out in December so RDNA 3 will be out way before then? To me this "suggests" that RDNA 3 RT will still be very poor as surely if you had improved RT to match/exceed ampere, you would be dialling it up a bit more and wanting to showcase the improvements....

Associate
Tinfoil hat time.....

Given the news yesterday of callisto protocol partnering up with amd and then seeing this news about the RT:

ynMK1Ys.png

Game is out in December so RDNA 3 will be out way before then? To me this "suggests" that RDNA 3 RT will still be very poor as surely if you had improved RT to match/exceed ampere, you would be dialling it up a bit more and wanting to showcase the improvements....
Or perhaps they want to ship a game that can be run on "ultra" for a larger audience. Remember the most popular RT card on the market is the 2060, followed by the 3060, neither of them can be described as an RT powerhouse, can it?

Caporegime
Or perhaps they want to ship a game that can be run on "ultra" for a larger audience. Remember the most popular RT card on the market is the 2060, followed by the 3060, neither of them can be described as an RT powerhouse, can it?

Why not provide options rather than gimping everyone? Just because the settings are there doesn't mean they have to be on/maxed, no one is forcing people to run max RT settings, same way most amd users choose to turn of RT.

It's UE 4 based so I'm sure the game will still look great either way but the main point was could this be an indicator to RDNA 3 not improving the RT perf. over rdna 2, at least not significantly enough?

Last edited:
Associate
Why not provide options rather than gimping everyone? Just because the settings are there doesn't mean they have to be on/maxed, no one is forcing people to run max RT settings, same way most amd users choose to turn of RT.

Either way, main point was could this be an indicator to RDNA 3 not improving the RT perf. over rdna 2, at least not significantly enough?

I'll offer an Occam's Razor, you may agree to disagree: They probably developed targeting for the console market first, with PC as a secondary concern.
IMHO RT will be truly relevant only when it won't gimp an X60 level card performance, which likely means in 5 years.

Caporegime
I'll offer an Occam's Razor, you may agree to disagree: They probably developed targeting for the console market first, with PC as a secondary concern.
IMHO RT will be truly relevant only when it won't gimp an X60 level card performance, which likely means in 5 years.

That is true about consoles, hopefully won't be a bad port :(

Associate
Yep - this is a console-first product (insomuch as that this new team needs it to be a success for them) - any RT features will be squarely aimed at what the consoles can do without crippling them. Even with the support from AMD it's likely too late in development to think about pushing the boat out for RT and they're also unlikely to have RDNA3 silicon to test against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom