• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RDNA 3 rumours Q3/4 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Well if we look at it the low-end segment died with the RX 480. They've been mostly running in place ever since with only very slight improvements..

I had a 290X at the time and it wasn't an upgrade when I compared them. For around £300 it was the best card for a long time putting some of these recent gens to shame. It was a power guzzler though and I had to modify cooling with AIO some time later to make it cool/quiet.

Associate
Had a rx480 before the 3070 it really was last of the line of mid tier cards at a reasonable price, 3070 was very overpriced roughly 2.5 times the performance of a six year old GPU at 2.5 times the price, price to performance has been terrible the last few years.

Soldato
Irrelevant. It's a GPU market not an AMD market, so a 480 cannot be a high end product unless it travels back in time.

Correct.

Irrelevant in comparison as the RX480 was AMD high end product whether you think so or not.

LOL, what? It was never considered high end by anyone, not even by AMD who called it a mainstream card. And that's the market segment that Poneros is talking about.

Associate
Pretty sure the Fury and Fury X held that spot for AMD. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-rx-480/24.html

The RX480 couldn't beat the preceding gen R9 390X rebrand of the 290X.
Apparently there was also a 295X2 - I must have blacked out for that release.
The 295X2 was, for a while, the most powerful, single card, solution you could buy and had a superb AIO and block. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized time. Had it not been for the limited VRAM I would have likely been using mine through 2018.

Soldato
What was the high end card in the amd line up when the rtx 480 was out. Ill wait.

lol, see the two posts above, you didn't have too wait long.

But, it wouldn't even matter if they had no higher end card, it still wouldn't make it a high end card. What market segment was the RX 480 aimed at again? High end or mainstream? oh, that's right, the mainstream one.

I will just repeat it for you. Nobody considered the RX 480 a high end card, not AMD, Not the tech sites, not anyone who knows anything about graphic cards.

Caporegime
The 295X2 was, for a while, the most powerful, single card, solution you could buy and had a superb AIO and block. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized time. Had it not been for the limited VRAM I would have likely been using mine through 2018.

It was a big sob as well. I remember receiving mine from ocuk and the shipping box was so big i thought they made a mistake and sent me 2.

Associate
It was a big sob as well. I remember receiving mine from ocuk and the shipping box was so big i thought they made a mistake and sent me 2.
I actually fit mine in a Sugo M-ITX case. If you could position it and the rad correctly without impediment, it was one of the best cards ever for venting heat away from the chips (except for, of course, the incomparable 5800 Ultra :) ).

We'll unfortunately never see a performance delta again between the flagship and ultra-enthusiast models as much as we did with the dual-GPU cards. With those, you paid 80% more than the single GPU flagship, but you got an ~60% performance return (at the height of mgpu support). Nowadays, you pay 80% more for a ~25% performance increase e.g. 3090 vs 3080 -- it's a bit of a joke if you think about it.

Last edited:
Associate
I actually fit mine in a Sugo M-ITX case. If you could position it and the rad correctly without impediment, it was one of the best card's ever for venting heat away from the chips (except for, of course, the incomparable 5800 Ultra :) ).

We'll unfortunately never see a performance delta again between the flagship and ultra-enthusiast models as much as we did with the dual-GPU cards. With those, you paid 80% more than the single GPU flagship, but you got an ~60% performance return (at the height of mgpu support). Nowadays, you pay 80% more for a ~25% performance increase e.g. 3090 vs 3080 -- it's a bit of a joke if you think about it.
One can only hope MCM could bring back some of that magic...

Associate
Let's try an hypothetical scenario.
I own a RX590.

I want two things:

- 2x FPS @1440p
- More ram

What is the cheapest card that can achieve that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom