Re-open the separate Linux/Mac forum debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
As is proving to be a popular consensus, can people stick a basic one-liner in this thread if they agree/disagree on the subject of forking this forum in two (Linux & Open Source and a Mac one)? It seems things are coming to a head and the Don(s) need to be aware of this? I know this was discussed a few months ago but it pretty much fizzled out without a decent resolution.

I am for a split, the whole Apple/Mac thing is now plenty big enough to need at least one separate forum :)

Associate
it works like this... everyone knows it would be a good idea, however, it makes no sense for a company that sells pc components to have a forum where everyone posts about how awesome their mac is and how they can't believe they didn't switch sooner.

it will _never_ be seperated, no matter how good an idea it would be. if you want decent mac discussion, you should probably visit somewhere else.

Man of Honour
I am definately FOR the split.

I will cotinue to post in both and, more importantly for the owner, continue to purchase my non Apple hardware from OcUK. :)

Last edited:
Associate
pinkegobox said:
it works like this... everyone knows it would be a good idea, however, it makes no sense for a company that sells pc components to have a forum where everyone posts about how awesome their mac is and how they can't believe they didn't switch sooner.

it will _never_ be seperated, no matter how good an idea it would be. if you want decent mac discussion, you should probably visit somewhere else.

hmm, i never thought of that actually, good point.

however ... i think it's pretty obvious now that the Mac market is growing, what with the huge increase of posts in this forum now, relating to OS X. If OcUK want to carry on with all the success they should surely go with the flow and become a neutral pc/mac community.

Jet

Jet

Soldato
pinkegobox said:

According to the management, the forums doesn't have a significant effect on purchases in the store. I disagree but who am I to argue. In that case we can split them.

Soldato
Why not just have Mac stuff in General Hardware and keep OSX software in this forum rather than having a new forum that would just cause problems for the moderating team? After all this forum is meant to be for software.

Would need an active Don to keep an eye on threads though and I think that's been the problem here.

Associate
Agree, but would be sorry to see the split.

One concern though, is that there really aren't a lot of regular new posts created about Linux, OS X or Open Source to guarantee that any forum forked from this one will continue to sustain a decent amount of traffic (i.e. less new posts might lead to a less interesting place to visit).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom