Re-open the separate Linux/Mac forum debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
afraser2k said:
Why not just have Mac stuff in General Hardware and keep OSX software in this forum rather than having a new forum that would just cause problems for the moderating team?

Because the "which brand of toothpaste do I use to clean my Macintosh(R) iKeyboard" threads would quickly be lost amongst other far less important posts in General Hardware ;)

Soldato
We just need a Mac forum (this has been discussed so many times, and disregarded for reasons i can't remember). The forum would be everything to do with Mac's, from which hardware to buy, how to use it, and what software to get :) We can't have a Mac hardware, and Mac software forum as it would all just get lost and they wouldn't be very busy.

Soldato
pinkegobox said:
it works like this... everyone knows it would be a good idea, however, it makes no sense for a company that sells pc components to have a forum where everyone posts about how awesome their mac is and how they can't believe they didn't switch sooner.

it will _never_ be seperated, no matter how good an idea it would be. if you want decent mac discussion, you should probably visit somewhere else.
There should be a single Mac forum in my opinion. I don't buy pinkegobox's point - adding a Mac forum further develops the OcUK community. A larger, richer community can only be a good thing for the company.

Permabanned
TBH tho, there arent enough different configurations of Apple hardware to warrant a separate forum. The main issue is that "hardware" threads such as
this ,this and this are so utterly banal, and pure common-sense that any other (sane) user group would just ignore them.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I can't see it happening...

I would be up for a seperate section though :)

Can't see why people are so offended when they ask for tips about caring for their products? If you don't like the thread.. don't go in.

Tbh I can't say i'm fond of "which distro?" but I just ignore them instead of create threads about my hate for them :p

Soldato
EVH said:
I can't see it happening...
SFF happened so I think Mac will happen.

It's hard though. Should it be in Hardware, Software or Life?

I'm actually thinking it could sit in Life, along with motors and mobile phones:

Apple: Laptops, Desktops, iPods and Software

Permabanned
EVH said:
Can't see why people are so offended when they ask for tips about caring for their products? If you don't like the thread.. don't go in.
But it's all just simple common-sense that I would expect anyone past primary school to be able to understand! Also due to the sheer amount (that was 3 quick examples on the front page of this forum) of them they generate a certain level of noise. Again it's not the fact people are asking question that's the problem, it's the type (or more appopriately, the level) of questions that are my main bugbear.

EVH said:
Tbh I can't say i'm fond of "which distro?" but I just ignore them instead of create threads about my hate for them :p
I don't like them either, a quick and simple search would dredge up pages of similar threads asking the same question. I just ignore them too. I suppose my main issue isn't with Mac users at all in this sense, it's with people with no common-sense who ask stupid questions. Unfortunately in this particular forum it tends to be Mac users who exhibit this behaviour :)

Soldato
I think it would be a good idea; before the Apple crowd appeared there was definitely a great deal more Linux discussion going on from day to day. I lurk quite a bit in here but read most threads as I use both OS X and Linux in various forms pretty much daily. I'd be happy enough to read two instead of one.

arty

Soldato
I don't mind as I'd end up checking both.

I have read a few posts that seem mac vs linux tho :) and there is a lot of mac hardware stuff now, due to more people getting mac's etc.

Associate
pinkegobox said:
it works like this... everyone knows it would be a good idea, however, it makes no sense for a company that sells pc components to have a forum where everyone posts about how awesome their mac is and how they can't believe they didn't switch sooner.

it will _never_ be seperated, no matter how good an idea it would be. if you want decent mac discussion, you should probably visit somewhere else.

I would like to see a seperate Mac section, but the boy makes a good point.

Associate
wush said:
Regarding whether the Mac universe warrants its own forum - Optical drives have their own top-level forum. Enough said?

Optical drives are also sold by OcUK. It would be nice to see the return of more Linux posts though - I like Macs, but it does feel as if Linux is being even more marginalised with all the Mac hardware threads floating around, and Linux is why I started posting in this particular forum.

Soldato
I'm for a split. I rarely post in here, but frequently visit the forum and it has felt it's difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff (the latter naturally being Mac threads :D).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom