• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

Caporegime
I did correct that within the next reply to yourself or did you forget that already? You correct an apology wasn't the correct term I used but they did correct themselves.

Does nobody care about marketing? you for real? Marketing is the reason why Nvidia is so dam untouchable, its what they best at and can market a stone and people will buy it. Seeing RTX on the screenshots had had everyone question it! Tbh the video for me is more of a joke
Well if you corrected it, happy days. Marketing is everywhere bud and part of life. Don't let it get to ya lol

Soldato
That was hilarious. What were they thinking with that one??? Lol.
"They" weren't thinking anything for what I remember. Wasn't it an over-excited off-the-cuff comment by 1 guy in a presentation? I don't think it was Koduri, but there was nothing in Fury's marketing or press about being an "overclockers dream". 1 guy slips up and casts a huge shadow over everything. That's the power of marketing, good or bad.

Which coincidentally supports the argument that Nvidia has pulled a dirty trick: doesn't matter if it was a mistake or not to slap an RTX logo on a RDR2 vid, the marketing machine has ingrained "RTX = ray tracing" into the minds of the masses. If RDR2 has no ray tracing then RTX has no right to be on the video, yet the masses will now think "oh, we can only use RTX cards" and go purchase accordingly. That's not shady marketing, that's an outright lie.

Man of Honour
"They" weren't thinking anything for what I remember. Wasn't it an over-excited off-the-cuff comment by 1 guy in a presentation? I don't think it was Koduri, but there was nothing in Fury's marketing or press about being an "overclockers dream". 1 guy slips up and casts a huge shadow over everything. That's the power of marketing, good or bad.

That is down playing it a bit - it was a senior technical person, not PR, at a big event and wasn't just an off the cuff remark, even if it might have been over-excited, but part of a segment that was selling the merits of the card.

They did similar with both the 200 series and Fury on Twitter between Dice devs (who had development boards) and AMD top people prior to release as well - bit of nudge-nudge going on with a couple of the Dice devs (who I suspect felt a bit duty bound to be positive) stating how it was a generation leap in performance than even nVidia's next-gen, etc. then turned out it wasn't.

Soldato
Not very impressed so far.

Star Wars demo looks amazing but you can't play it, and all of this rubbish said about Quake 2 doesn't make it not 20+ years old and look like it, reflections and lighting or not.

Port Royal looks like they chrome wrapped it (cheap nasty and tacky) so yeah, I am hoping Control really is the killer app I've heard it is. I would buy it right now, but I've just done my balls on The Outer Worlds, COD MW and about 5 console games I really should complete first.

Can't try Metro yet because cloud saving still does not work and if I had to sit through another ten hours of cut scenes I would die inside (it would be the third time) so I must remember to bring my save over on a stick.

I'll stop moaning now, because the 2070 Super really is a very fast card. Much faster than I was expecting it to be.

Soldato
Another RT game: Blizzard is going to add Ray Tracing into the WoW DX12 engine for Shadowlands launch

https://wccftech.com/blizzard-is-looking-into-adding-ray-tracing-world-of-warcraft/

So RT games going to be 7? Metro, Tomb Raider, BFV, Control, WoW, COD, Quake?
What happened to the other 20 or so games many boasted that would exist on release (LAST YEAR) lambasting to anyone pointing the obvious that this wont happen?
What happened to the Wolfensteing Youngblood Ray Tracing? The game is 4 months old now yet no RT yet, or any sign if ever going to be added.

Soldato
You forgot about World of Tanks and Minecraft - these both support ray tracing already.

Upcoming Ray Tracing games: Dying Light 2, Vampire Bloodlines 2, Cyberpunk 2077, Watch Dogs Legion, Deliver us to the Moon, Stay in the Light, Atomic Heart, Doom Eternal, Enlisted, Mechwarrior 5, World of Warcraft: Shadowlands.

And what about HDR lol, where are all the damn HDR games.

We had a bit of a spike when HDR came to consoles and then it's dropped off - now HDR games are few and far between :(. Guess we have to wait 10 years for everyone to eventually get a HDR monitor/tv before developers bother.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
and all of this rubbish said about Quake 2 doesn't make it not 20+ years old and look like it, reflections and lighting or not.

Yes stock Quake 2 with RTX doesn't make it not look like a 20 year old game/engine but a lot of people are missing the key here in that it is being fully rendered with a ray tracing type implementation - there are no baked lights, no tricked up GI, no pre-made environment maps, etc. and while some of the features are heavily constrained and a few tricks done to avoid certain noise issues with specular it is doing real time GI with bounced lighting, caustics, reflections and so on and contrary to what some people think does not use any tricks with the primitive geometry in the way Minecraft does to get a speed up.

I've beaten the Quake 2 engine into doing this with RTX - imagine it with the same lighting, etc. quality but fully detailed scene with high res meshes instead of block brush geometry hah (I don't even have proper materials for the train in the RTX Quake 2 library - I've had to do some nasty stretching of existing textures that have parts with colours close to what I need).

MBrErDV.jpg

HBnZ5nk.jpg

EDIT: I just hope at least one person sees this who is familiar with the Quake 2 editing tools and understands what it took to make that train in QERadiant 1.0 LOL.

Soldato
You forgot about World of Tanks and Minecraft - these both support ray tracing already.

Upcoming Ray Tracing games: Dying Light 2, Vampire Bloodlines 2, Cyberpunk 2077, Watch Dogs Legion, Deliver us to the Moon, Stay in the Light, Atomic Heart, Doom Eternal, Enlisted, Mechwarrior 5, World of Warcraft: Shadowlands.

And what about HDR lol, where are all the damn HDR games.

We had a bit of a spike when HDR came to consoles and then it's dropped off - now HDR games are few and far between :(. Guess we have to wait 10 years for everyone to eventually get a HDR monitor/tv before developers bother.

WOT Doesn't use DXR or Nvidia RTX, but Intel Embree, so is GPU & CPU agnostic. Not relevant to Nvidia discussion, which is this subject here.
The 20 games mentioned are the ones everyone and many boasted that would support RT last year. Thing like Asseto Corsa etc.
A year later all are met with a wall of silence, including the DLSS on games like Hitman 2 which still wont happen.

There was a huge list of existing games Nvidia was boasting that these techs would be implemented "on release" for Turing. Many in this very discussion were talking down anyone who laughed at the list of games it wont happen (you Grim5 also), yet here we are 14 months later.
Nvidia simple advertised and sold a product, which was overprised on the back of those 60 games that would support RT & DLSS. Yet 14 months later, just 10 support those techs and there is silence about the other games existed at the point of Turing release.

Back
Top Bottom