• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

Man of Honour
How do enable integer scaling? Does it have a big impact/difference on the PQ?

I’m needing to play RDR2 at 1440p on a 4K screen so interested in whether integer would help improve the PQ or not.

Integer scaling is for resolutions that are exact multiples of each other such as 1920x1080 and 3840x2160.

Soldato
dragged the PC downstairs tonight to try it on the new LG OLED 55C9. OMG! Played BF5 for the first time in ages and with RT on and everything on ultra it looked glorious in HDR. Was getting fps in the 50s in 4K, the max refresh is 60fps at 4k with HDMI 2.0 from my GC. With G-sync it still looked nice and smooth and the lighting was incredible with RYX on. Really hope we see some new HDR monitors coming out this year. I would defiantly upgrade my X34A for one and a 30 series card if it promised 100+fps with RTX.

Soldato
How do enable integer scaling? Does it have a big impact/difference on the PQ?

I’m needing to play RDR2 at 1440p on a 4K screen so interested in whether integer would help improve the PQ or not.

In your case it won't improve the PQ, because 1080p with integer scaling is not better than 1440p upscaled but it would at least minimise the difference if you needed the extra performance. It also depends on a game by game basis, for example I tried it in The Witcher 3 first and it made a notable and positive difference especially due to the vegetation heavy nature of it & how well it's handled without post-process AA (and at 1080p it meant I could run the RTGI shader for better lighting). Surprisingly Quantum Break also was a very good experience like that, which I didn't expect precisely because it's so post-process heavy. On the other hand I was trying to re-play Shadowrun Returns & Co a few days ago and integer scaling wasn't good enough to prefer over 1440p upscaled (on a 4K screen), though in this case the games have their own quirks (esp. around zooming) but you would have expected much better results here. Mass Effect 1-3 also didn't help much.

You can find the option in display settings in the amd/nvidia control panel.

Caporegime
BFV is finally cheap on PC so I bought and installed it to play the single player campaign with Ray Tracing.

Got a 4k OLED that supports G-sync so I started at 4k/ultra

However, the ray traced reflections seem to be artifacting, you can see artifacting squares in bodies of water and puddles etc...almost like when a digital video signal breaks up. Rest of the game looks fine.

Anyone else experience this?

Soldato
That's early devkit for PS5, not representative of final product. We know for a fact it will have hardware RT because Sony officially confirmed it & the first game shown has proven that (Godfall). That info is actually very old.

Soldato
BFV is finally cheap on PC so I bought and installed it to play the single player campaign with Ray Tracing.

Got a 4k OLED that supports G-sync so I started at 4k/ultra

However, the ray traced reflections seem to be artifacting, you can see artifacting squares in bodies of water and puddles etc...almost like when a digital video signal breaks up. Rest of the game looks fine.

Anyone else experience this?

Yep that's normal. It's only single pass ray-tracing and any moving surfaces etc won't look right as the hardware can't keep up.

Soldato
It's finally heeeereee!! Kinda (beta)

amid_evil_floor_wet-1480x815.jpg

EK04vR0U0AAVqri

https://steamcommunity.com/app/673130

Last edited:
Soldato
When both AMD and Nvidia are running games with Ray Tracing, what I think must happen is Ray Tracing needs to be dialled back a little bit. The effect of refections is blown way over the top. Control looks like you playing with a mirror all around you. I get it they want to showcase the tech but it at this moment it's blown over the top half the time.

Soldato
When both AMD and Nvidia are running games with Ray Tracing, what I think must happen is Ray Tracing needs to be dialled back a little bit. The effect of refections is blown way over the top. Control looks like you playing with a mirror all around you. I get it they want to showcase the tech but it at this moment it's blown over the top half the time.

They don't need to force a tonedown, just give the option in the menu. Just have "low RT reflection" where it's mild and "high rt reflection" option where it's like control

Man of Honour
They don't need to force a tonedown, just give the option in the menu. Just have "low RT reflection" where it's mild and "high rt reflection" option where it's like control

Not impossible to do but a lot of the reflections are material based - generally using something along the lines of physically based materials so globally adjusting it indiscriminately might have unintended effects.

Caporegime

It always happens with new tech but the particular issue is if you do something like RTX correctly then you get a lot of subtle but accurate effects that overal add massively to realism but individually are small differences which then get criticized for being pointless given the performance penalty. This is compounded because current games will hsve RTX bolted on, rather than having a full Global PBR model. UNreal has some nice b ut long videos showing the real benefits of RTX but with plenty of reminders of the computational cost so you get a full picture of where we currently stand and where the future will be like.

Here is a short video that shows realistic uses of RTX, but without good before/after showcases: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9PmuDtwC-I

This video shows the benefits form a game developers perspective:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EekCn4wed1E

This is a long one but shows a realistic environment for architecture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml06krbbaAA&feature=emb_logo

Back
Top Bottom