Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox and PC Hopefully)

Associate
Bit late, but finished the story yesterday. I am not sure whether it was because a) I never played RDR1, b) I only knew this was coming out a few weeks before it actually released or c) other, but I think it really is a masterpiece.

The whole world they've built is incredible and, when at first I thought the riding around would get tedious, it was actually immensely enjoyable and the ability to get so easilly distracted by something probably contributed to me taking over a month to finish it. I can see why some people had gripes with the controls, I do ride straight in to a tree/rock more than I probably should, but the gun controls I know find easy and I think they work well.

Regarding the story:

I did do a bit of a wtf after Arthur died and I was suddenly playing as John doing menial tasks around a farm, but it got interesting again quick and as stupid as it sounds I think it gave me time to get over Arthur's death. :(

Was good to get closure and to get to enjoy the world as John. Made the mistake of reading the recap of the story for the first one and am now depressed again.

Soldato
RDR2 Online is hugely confusing to me, why is it BETA? Why is it massively lacking in content After all this time. Rdr1 online absolutely smashes this POS. 7 missions or so and scattered stranger missions, it’s lame as hell.

We have this incredible world designed for us to enjoy hunting, fishing for earning money with friends but you can’t enjoy any of it because of KOS muppets everywhere you turn. You’ll find posse after posse after posse ganging up on solo players, killing for no reason what so ever. You earn very little coin doing missions, you earn even less doing the stranger missions. The character graphics and the creator looks like its from the early 90’s, it’s outright embarrassing how poor the faces look. You don’t talk, NPCs don’t interact with you, there’s no passive mode option, there’s no ability to solo a mission. There are no card games, no gambling, no hair growth, no legendary animals, no trappers, there’s no depth to be found anywhere.

I’m all round massively underwhelmed and frustrated at how amatuerish this all feels. You’d think the reason they withheld the online for a month after release, would be so everyone had the time to complete the incredible single player story......but nope, it’s almost like they handed this to an indie studio a few months ago and said make us a multiplayer game. A few hours worth of content is all you’ll get from this currently.

Absolute garbage is online, very disappointed in it even if it is in BETA. Why it even needed to launch as a beta totally baffles me.

Last edited:
Associate
I am guessing the kos will be sorted with high bounties, which should have an impact. Espically with other posses going after the high killers. The kos guys should find themselves surrounded by other gangs, which will soon bore them.

Associate
Almost finished this now. Just 2 or 3 missions to do.

Enjoyed it so much I've decided to re-play the original (that I played and sold along with a 360 back in 2011)

Just been out and bought the original GOTY edition (from Argos - £11.99)

Quite looking forward to some zombie killing fun!

Soldato
Finally finished this last night, I thought a couple of bits in the epilogue dragged a touch but loved how well it tied into the first game. Going to take a break from it for a while then come back and do the challenges, hunts, gangs, etc.

I'd rate it 9/10, the world is absolutely incredible, story was mostly fantastic but the controls, a few odd gameplay choices and a handful of annoying bugs did mar my enjoyment.

I'd easily pay full price if they remastered the original using the same engine but I imagine they'll be throwing all effort into the online since that'll be the money maker for several years to come.

Associate
OP
RDR2 Online is hugely confusing to me, why is it BETA? Why is it massively lacking in content After all this time. Rdr1 online absolutely smashes this POS. 7 missions or so and scattered stranger missions, it’s lame as hell.

We have this incredible world designed for us to enjoy hunting, fishing for earning money with friends but you can’t enjoy any of it because of KOS muppets everywhere you turn. You’ll find posse after posse after posse ganging up on solo players, killing for no reason what so ever. You earn very little coin doing missions, you earn even less doing the stranger missions. The character graphics and the creator looks like its from the early 90’s, it’s outright embarrassing how poor the faces look. You don’t talk, NPCs don’t interact with you, there’s no passive mode option, there’s no ability to solo a mission. There are no card games, no gambling, no hair growth, no legendary animals, no trappers, there’s no depth to be found anywhere.

I’m all round massively underwhelmed and frustrated at how amatuerish this all feels. You’d think the reason they withheld the online for a month after release, would be so everyone had the time to complete the incredible single player story......but nope, it’s almost like they handed this to an indie studio a few months ago and said make us a multiplayer game. A few hours worth of content is all you’ll get from this currently.

Absolute garbage is online, very disappointed in it even if it is in BETA. Why it even needed to launch as a beta totally baffles me.

I'm guessing you don't understand the premise of a BETA? It stands for "Break it Early Test Application". A BETA is not intended to demo the game (as people think it does) it is the purpose of stressing the core code and the servers it runs on in a real world environment where multiple connections from many locations around the world inbound to the server - which cannot be tested in a controlled environment. R* need to ensure that they have sufficient resources in place to deal with the external demands being placed on the servers in order to ensure that everyone gets a fair crack when end product releases.

The fact you have a handful of missions and basic game play is just to give you an idea on what the final product will be like. BETA tests are often code that is no where near representative of the final product and likely missing a lot of end product features. I would guess this is probably code from at least a year if not two years ago (given the entire game was a 7yr development).

I think you have raged a little bit prematurely.. I would concur with you if these features are missing from final release.

Shawrey

Soldato
I have been playing this for 36 days now, dedicating about 95% of my free time to it (haven't seen a movie or a TV show in over a month...).
I am in chapter 6 (which, while depressing, is the best chapter so far) and it is by far the best game of the generation tied only with Witcher 3 and followed by Kingdom Come. It is true masterpiece I gotta say.
Rockstar are truly deserving of the name.

Soldato
I'm guessing you don't understand the premise of a BETA? It stands for "Break it Early Test Application". A BETA is not intended to demo the game (as people think it does) it is the purpose of stressing the core code and the servers it runs on in a real world environment where multiple connections from many locations around the world inbound to the server - which cannot be tested in a controlled environment. R* need to ensure that they have sufficient resources in place to deal with the external demands being placed on the servers in order to ensure that everyone gets a fair crack when end product releases.

The fact you have a handful of missions and basic game play is just to give you an idea on what the final product will be like. BETA tests are often code that is no where near representative of the final product and likely missing a lot of end product features. I would guess this is probably code from at least a year if not two years ago (given the entire game was a 7yr development).

I think you have raged a little bit prematurely.. I would concur with you if these features are missing from final release.

Shawrey

Are you being sarcastic or serious with this post when stating that he doesn't understand the premise of a beta, and then going on to state incorrect information? Beta doesn't stand for Break it Early Test Application, so I'm not sure where you've got that from (perhaps from the silly tagline offered by Bethesda for Fallout 76's B.E.T.A which was an epic flop). Beta is the second phase of development testing, usually done internally but on some occasions others are invited to it. In this instance, sure, they're trying to stress the environment and the servers, but in terms of the game and core elements, they probably aren't going to change from what's there now. These days most "online betas" simply are a demo of the complete game, released as the "online" component to test the infrastructure. If things are as bad as Tony states (I've seen the video for the character generation and it's shocking tbh) then it should never have made it past the internal Alpha before now. Also, if it is as bad as he says, there's no way that the completion you're alluding to will be anywhere near done within the next few months at the very least. I don't know when launch is (I'm not interested one bit in RDR2 online) but I imagine that the version you're all currently playing right now is likely the completed product that everyone will be left playing when it releases.

Soldato
@Shawreyboy the only reason they have called it BETA is to use that as an excuse when things go wrong. Oh, and of course, to see how far they can push people regarding how much they are willing to spend in real world money to attain the best guns because of the KOS and low payouts. This is Rockstar, they are one of the schnidiest companies out there when making the mulah.

And also I completely understand the purpose of BETA, as I do of Alpha. And lets not forget history shows us games hardly every change going from a BETA to full release. The point I was making, is why dial it back this much and offer this little content, it shouldnt be defended, it's a state. There's so much fundamentally wrong with online currently.

Last edited:
Caporegime
@Shawreyboy the only reason they have called it BETA is to use that as an excuse when things go wrong. Oh, and of course, to see how far they can push people regarding how much they are willing to spend in real world money to attain the best guns because of the KOS and low payouts. This is Rockstar, they are one of the schnidiest companies out there when making the mulah.

And also I completely understand the purpose of BETA, as I do of Alpha. And lets not forget history shows us games hardly every change going from a BETA to full release. The point I was making, is why dial it back this much and offer this little content, it shouldnt be defended, it's a state. There's so much fundamentally wrong with online currently.

Preach brother!

giphy.gif

The online side for this game is a ******* joke, it is pretty much GTA online but like an extreme light version i.e. little content, little options/features

- **** all to do apart from repeat same missions
- payout is a ******* joke (most I've seen for a mission so far is $7 and guess how much guns etc. cost...... $$$
- as per usual, free roam is just kill on sight zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. If I want that, I'll go play a battle royale, COD, BF etc. game, not this with its awful clunky movement.........

Only fun thing about it is playing the missions with friends and even then it is a ******* PITA.

If they don't change the payout system/micro transactions, online will be be dead very soon:

https://www.ultragamerz.com/red-dea...actions-similar-to-shark-cards-in-gta-online/

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...with-red-dead-redemption-2s-microtransactions

Underboss
unlockable feature like fast travel from your own camp - available once you reach level 65 in Red Dead Online, or unlockable for 112 Gold Bars - and, at current rates, you're looking at a time investment of nearly 900 hours

Yeah, nah.

Also lol at "break it early test" buzzword bingo and signing off forum posts.

Caporegime

Shawrey

Rockstar are crap at making online games.

GTA didn't have heists in it for like 3 years after release. by the time they had come out i had bought the game on 2 different consoles and sold and re-bought it a few times

Soldato
I think online is OK. I've done a few missions. They were quite fun.

Far too many players just going round killing others for no reason though.

I think the game would be much better if nobody showed up on your map?

Associate
Well it's done. Finito. 165 hours. And one of the finest games I've ever had the pleasure of playing from start to finish ( the final ending could have been written by Tarantino)

Replay value? I'm not sure. Could I listen to Dutch all over again? He was one annoying mofo. Maybe in a few years time.

Have zero interest in the online side of things so I guess I'll just mosey on down and load up the first Red Dead to see how it fares.

Or maybe go straight to the Zombie dlc thing that I never played back then.

yeehaw

Back
Top Bottom