1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox and PC Hopefully)

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by Shawreyboy, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

Does anyone know when the online is due to fully launch? I can see it being alright eventually when a lot more content is added.

2. Kainz

Capodecina

I don't blame you for being a bit lost, I was in the same boat and Rockstar games do an absolutely crap job always at explaining mechanics. Some may like it this way, but others with less time on their hands won't. I am on Chapter 3 and spend a lot of time trying to deviate from the main (yellow markers) quests as I want to stretch out the game and really learn everything I can.

This is a guide that explains a good amount of mechanics without getting spoilery so use it if you wish. I needed it because the Satchels stuff wasn't explained too well and now I have them all. Still haven't fully mastered hunting though - all animals behave differently so I am currently working on getting all the trapper resources for his gear!

https://www.shacknews.com/article/108104/red-dead-redemption-2-walkthrough-and-guide
    https://www.shacknews.com/article/108167/complete-hunting-guide-red-dead-redemption-2

Going to cut and paste from a reddit post of mine that had a few tips:

* Perfect pelts is easy once you have the Buck Antler trinket - however the trinket seems to really increase the quality of small-mid animal pelts only.

* Be sure to hunt birds for their Flight Feathers as you can use these to create Small Game arrows to kill the smaller critters as that's the best way for perfect pelts for them.

* I used a Springfield rifle for mid sized animals such as deers, cougars, bison, gators. I rarely used the Varmint but found it was the only way I could get a perfect kill on those dreaded Beavers.

* Be sure to use Dead Eye and target their red shaded regions - primarily their heads for a fatal one shot kill.

Keep at it and as you learn each animals weak spots killing them and getting those perfect pelts will be easier.

3. Amatsubu

Wise Guy

I'm on chapter 2 still and trying to prolong everything as I don't want the game to end:p
    It's just so immersive and atmospheric, everything I could hope for as a fan of RDR 1.
    I really like the deliberate slowness of it all, the banter at the camp, hunting, learning about animals/plants, riding around, taking care of my horse, enjoying all the details etc. At the same time I can appreciate something more fast-paced and lighter like Odyssey but everything people said was a problem about RDR2 hasn't been a problem for me at all so far. Quite the contrary.

The graphics and weather are incredible, they really add to the experience along with the sound, great music and meticulous animations.
    It's the same feeling RDR 1 gave me, doing really simple things that should be tedious at times but having fun in the process.

4. Kainz

Capodecina

Agree with everything. Coming from faster paced Odyssey at first was very jarring in every area and RDR2 just felt wrong, until it gradually felt perfect. I spent about 2.5weeks on Chapter 2 just doing exactly what you're doing now and it was an amazing experience. The weather and lighting system is just amazing - I was in a bar in Van Horn and it was raining outside and then all of a sudden I saw the folks react in shock to a lightening bolt that had landed outside somewhere close by because the windows lit up. Even the live musician stopped playing!

As said I'm on Chapter 3 now and spend most of my time roaming the lands and trying to complete the challenges. Much to my surprise I am still encountering new events and strangers.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  5. beachBOYken

Sgarrista

I wish the Trapper and Fences were a little more central, I'm led to believe they do roam around and set up in towns but not seen that myself yet, its just such a chore having to trek to a trapper as the fast travel by train does not even reach their locations.

6. nicktay2605

Mobster

I held off on buying RDR2 at launch because I was pretty busy at the time and had other games I was playing, but a family member got it for me for Christmas. I'm loving it so far. I thought AC: Odyssey, God of War and Spider-Man would be hard to top as my three favourite games of last year, but this is definitely the best of the bunch imo. The scale and depth of the game is very impressive, nearly all the characters are engaging, interesting and well voiced, the script maybe isn't quite as sharp as some GTA games, but it's still strong, the visuals look superb without HDR turned on (HDR looked really washed out on my TV) and there is so much to do, I can see myself playing it for hours and hours after completing the story.

I'm on chapter 3. I'm trying to mix together hunting, main missions, side quests and general challenges so that I don't get through the story too fast. I don't have too many gripes or issues with the game so far, but I do wish there was more of a fast travel mechanic involved. Having completed AC: Odyssey prior to playing RDR2, the lack of proper fast travel in RDR2 is pretty noticeable. I know you can take stage coaches and unlock fast travel at the camp, but it's not quite as good as it could be. Hunting legendary animals has been fun, but it takes ages to get to some of the animals you need to hunt. I know some people have had issues with the controls but after tweaking them a bit I don't see a problem.

7. SC0TTRS

Wise Guy

Here's a very helpful map with locations I've used throughout the game, use the marker category to minimise, it's pretty accurate on the map and helped no end: https://uk.ign.com/maps/red-dead-redemption-2/world

You'll need to upgrade Leather Working Tools in camp by using the Ledger which unlocks the satchel and camp upgrades.

Top Tip: you can accidentally overlook missions if you don't read certain documents handed to you in your satchel, once read, they will appear on the map. Good example is the Legendary Gunslinger mission(s) which require you to read the notes handed to you before they appear on the map.

8. sgoaty

Wise Guy

I was only thinking because they never released the first one.

I spotted a couple month old Xbox one X for sale with the game locally. It really is beautiful on One X ( once I turned off HDR and set up my TV to suit) the console is whisper quiet too. I'm also very surprised by Atmos being so much better as it already sounded great on playstation.

Struggling to adapt to the xbox controller though.

9. byeo

Wise Guy

I managed to get RDR 2 for Christmas, only managed to have a go last night due to the busy Xmas period, only done two missions, the first with the gang at the house and finding John on the rocks. The controls feel very clunky, hopefully the more I play I'll get used to it, but from my very limited experience of the game, I'm not raving about it.

10. robj20

Soldato

I'm not enjoying it as much as i had hoped, i'm finding the controls annoying, one instance in a shoot out enemy runs up to me and i cant melee him, guess you need to put your gun away first.
    I'm finding i'm missing loads as i don't know what i'm supposed to be doing other than the main missions, there doesn't seem to be a decent way of tracking what your doing.
    The hunting that everyone raves about i dont like, i open my satchel and have meats but cant figure out how to eat them.

11. Witcher1980

Gangster

You just press fire and you will hit them with your gun, regarding the meat it needs cooking first.

12. ricky1981

Mobster

If you aren't enjoying the hunting/exploration (no judgement from me if you don't) then you might be better off selling it as frankly nothing much really changes in terms of gameplay so unless the story has grabbed you then I'd move on and sell it whilst you'll still recoup most of your money.

Obviously if you've bought digital then you don't have much choice but to persevere and hope you change your mind!

13. robj20

Soldato

I just need to read some guides.
    Making money.
    Where to get better weapons.
    Getting a better horse.

14. Amatsubu

Wise Guy

I think it'll all click for you once you get into it properly. As has been mentioned, the game does a somewhat poor job of explaining it's mechanics and you unlock new things throughout chapter 2 and onwards.

You can set up camp to cook hunted animals or skin them, sell the pelts/carcass or donate to camp etc.you can use perfect pelts for upgrades at the trapper or Pearson.
    You can make some money completing bounties for the Sheriff in Valentine, for example.

I'm still exploring around a rather small area for now and still finding new things and events like a guy gets thrown out of the window of the saloon in Valentine and a fight breaks out or a hunter getting mad at me because I scared off his prey:p

15. Kainz

Capodecina

I felt the same mate. The clumsy Rockstar trademark UI/lack of ingame information really leaves you wondering "WTF" half the time - you need some patience. Definately check out some guides and be weary of spoilers obviously. The guide I linked to a few posts back is decent.

Most of my money has come from various missions leading upto Chapter 3 that I am on currently. Main missions seem to give a good chunk of money - I currently have 6.7k (3.4k by the end of Chapter 2) and it seems that is more than enough to buy virtually anything I need.

* Hunting birds/gators/boars just north of St.Denis brings in a good amount of cash by selling the loot to the Trapper in town. This helps boost your core stats and gives the trapper resources to create those trapper outfits, which you can buy.

* There are rare Gold bars worth $500 (sellable to fences) that can be found around the world - there is one very close to your first camp in Horse Shoe Overlook. There is also an infinite gold bar exploit tied to it that I believe hasn't been fixed. You don't need it from what I see but at least its there.

* Loot EVERYTHING. Roam the world and kill any gang member camps (O'Driscolls/Murfees etc) that you can and in no time you'll have a lot of misc crap (belt buckles, rings) that you can sell to the Fence.

* Weapons from what I've seen thus far are best bought from the Gunsmith rather than picked up. You can get one off 'rare' weapons during certain missions (they'll be shown on your radar) but they vary. In addition to this, the bulk of my weapons are 'free' from NPC's that I've helped ingame and later encountered them in towns - they sometimes thank you for your help and let you purchase any item from a local shop be it a Gunsmith or Tailors for example. I've had these encounters 4 times so far, so twin Volcanic Pistols ftw!

* Horses - the fastest horse in the game is a tamable in the NW snowy regions. The horse has great stats (I am not a fan) but you will likely encounter better ones in the field and in the town Stables as you play.

Edit: Regarding guides, I forgot to mention www.rdr2.org who have excellent data.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  16. SC0TTRS

Wise Guy

Thought I would hate it being a PC gaming for so long, last console I bought was an original PS1 so it's been a while. I also struggled with the controls as one big bug bear for me is the sluggish controller. Took me a while getting a feeling for it and it's not a strong point for the game, but once you get around it the game is fantastic and eventually I was 'Gunslinging' like a pro lol

I spend time reading up and watching non-story spoiler videos on YouTube, plenty of guides out there.

17. Kainz

Capodecina

^Be careful about YouTube. I too avoided spoiler vids but they eventually made their way to my YT homepage so I had to mark them all as 'not interested'.

On another note does anyone know what the point of the Trapper outfits are? I have done a fair amount of hunting for resources and the trapper now has a number of the outfit parts that I can purchase but I don't know if these items are just cosmetic or do they have stat modifiers? Can't seem to find info on that just yet.

18. SC0TTRS

Wise Guy

I think outfits are cosmetic and only the reinforced gear gives you bonus stats like reduced weapon maintenance.

19. Amatsubu

Wise Guy

I haven't crafted any of the outfits yet (taking it slow) so not sure but the pieces unlocked by challenges do have perks, I've only crafted a holster at the trapper so far.

20. Shawreyboy

Hitman

Making money isn't an issue. You make more than enough from story missions for this to not be a concern.

IIRC certain guns like the Lancaster Repeater, Rolling Block Rifle and the Bolt Action Rifle are given to you in certain missions.

Don't worry about a horse, the stock horse is fine for pretty much all of the game however, when you get to St Denis in the story you are able to buy a Black Arabian from the Stable and that is a superb horse.

If you want an early Lancaster Repeater, head to the Rhodes Gunsmith and listen for a boy shouting out from the basement for a quite frankly odd and amusing scene where the Lancaster can be looted from a gun case in the aforementioned basement... You'll need to hold up the Gunshop owner to get him to open the basement door.