Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox and PC Hopefully)

Soldato
I have mine pre-ordered at Smyths (£44.99) and just discovered they have a midnight launch so will pick it up then and save me a trip out in traffic Friday morning. Install it when I get home and it'll be ready to play when I get up Friday morning as I have the whole day off... The problem is, I still don't know if I want it for Xb1X or PS4 Pro... :confused:

PS4 Pro for the rest of the games when you are done with RDR2

Caporegime
Thanks guys, that's a lot of help... :p:D

If you look at comparison videos between the two on YouTube, there is hardly any difference. Parts of the background might look a little sharper on the One X if you kneel in front of the TV with a magnifying glass. :p

I think PS4 wins at the moment simply because of the exclusives. The Last of Us 2 will be another incredible game.

Associate
Just wondering if you could lower the hype a little bit please?
We can hear you down the road, and I haven't switched the PS4 on in months and your making me want to buy this game. :D

I still haven't opened my copy of The Last of Us yet!

Soldato
We can hear you down the road, and I haven't switched the PS4 on in months and your making me want to buy this game. :D

For me, I love that the Xbox lets you do things like play certain games on your PC if you have them on the console and they support cross-play. And the backward compatibility for my old 360 titles (I have every single 360 game I ever purchased still) is a big winner as well.

I also looked at the exclusives on the PS4, and to be perfectly honest, there aren't any that I particularly feel that I'm missing out on from the past, aside from Spider-Man which is a new release recently, and then perhaps Ghosts of Tshushima. Many of the PS4 exlusives are indie titles or Japanese titles that I really have no interest in playing. I do intend on getting a PS4 at some point, but at the moment that's on hold and I'll be upgrading my TV instead (I only have a 720p TV for use with my Xbox atm!).

Oh, and GamePass, which is a breath of fresh air, especially when you've managed to bag yourself six months for £20 like I did. I've been playing Forza Horizon 4 recently, I can play that on my PC using GamePass as well, and there are a few other games on there that I've had some fun with recently as well.

Edited to put in a quote from YoungBlood since it was to his / her post that I was specifically responding.

Last edited:
Soldato

Well, throw that in the bin or trade it in for RDR2, because when RDR2 releases on Friday, you won't want to play anything else! For me, I don't think that the hype-train is overrated on this one, simply because they could do away with everything that they've promised and even if you're just left with a sandbox set in the Wild West, that's more than enough for me. I loved RDR for the world you were a part of, and this is more of the same, but in a totally upgraded and more organic way. I can't see how it can possibly go wrong because at it's heart, it's a bloody Cowboy simulator and that as an idea is superb.

Soldato
For me, I love that the Xbox lets you do things like play certain games on your PC if you have them on the console and they support cross-play. And the backward compatibility for my old 360 titles (I have every single 360 game I ever purchased still) is a big winner as well.

I also looked at the exclusives on the PS4, and to be perfectly honest, there aren't any that I particularly feel that I'm missing out on from the past, aside from Spider-Man which is a new release recently, and then perhaps Ghosts of Tshushima. Many of the PS4 exlusives are indie titles or Japanese titles that I really have no interest in playing. I do intend on getting a PS4 at some point, but at the moment that's on hold and I'll be upgrading my TV instead (I only have a 720p TV for use with my Xbox atm!).

Oh, and GamePass, which is a breath of fresh air, especially when you've managed to bag yourself six months for £20 like I did. I've been playing Forza Horizon 4 recently, I can play that on my PC using GamePass as well, and there are a few other games on there that I've had some fun with recently as well.

....................and all the old Xbox 360 discs work and are enhanced on the Xbox one X

Soldato
Well, throw that in the bin or trade it in for RDR2, because when RDR2 releases on Friday, you won't want to play anything else! For me, I don't think that the hype-train is overrated on this one, simply because they could do away with everything that they've promised and even if you're just left with a sandbox set in the Wild West, that's more than enough for me. I loved RDR for the world you were a part of, and this is more of the same, but in a totally upgraded and more organic way. I can't see how it can possibly go wrong because at it's heart, it's a bloody Cowboy simulator and that as an idea is superb.
Fanboy much :D

Caporegime
The console war is still going on I see :rolleyes: how many people really sink time into 360 games just because they've been enhanced.

Sit the fanbois down in front of two screens running this and most of them couldn't tell you the difference. Unless you're buying just to play one title and sell it on, then the decision should always come down to which games are already out that you'll play on it and a look at the ones in the pipeline. It's apparent from the sales just how big a difference exclusives make rather than which one runs a multiplatform game 2fps higher and the detail on a leaf looks slightly better when you stop to look at it.

Associate
Just watched the trailers...
First one came out in 2016 :eek:

You have been a patient bunch, permission to continue the hype granted :p
I will wait for the reviews to drop tomorrow, should it score well, I shall partake in this frenzy.

Soldato
The console war is still going on I see :rolleyes: how many people really sink time into 360 games just because they've been enhanced.

Sit the fanbois down in front of two screens running this and most of them couldn't tell you the difference. Unless you're buying just to play one title and sell it on then the decision should always come down to which games are already out that you'll play on it and a look at the ones in the pipeline. It's apparent from the sales just how big a difference exclusives make rather than which one runs a multiplatform game 2fps higher and the detail on a leaf looks slightly better when you stop to look at it.

There's no console war going on. I've not compared any version to another on the console, and nobody here can do that with any sort of objective viewpoint because the game isn't out yet so anything said on this subject is pure conjecture right now. However, a few posts up someone asked which console to go for, so I've posted up a general objective viewpoint of the features of the Xbox that I really enjoy, and that made me purchase my Xbox One S in May this year in case it might help them with their decision. Not everyone looking to buy a console knows about features like GamePass, cross-platform play, or backward-compatibility. If me saying all of that constitutes a console war and is fanboyish then I truly don't get why. Fanboyism is favouring one over the other for no real reason other than just "because" or blind allegiance to a brand. I have none of that and neither do many in here posting up. The majority of comments have come from people that own both consoles.

And, since you're posting in a thread about Red Dead Redemption 2, and asking about sinking time into a 360 game because that feature is one available on an Xbox, then I'd say to you that I was able to go back and play Read Dead Redemption for a few weeks in preparation for RDR2 launching because I had the 360 disc and my Xbox One S allowed me to do that. So I guess you can say that sometimes some people will make use of that as it's a feature that MS offer on their consoles.

Soldato
Fanboy much :D

Not at all. I loved RDR though and have wanted more in a similar world since I finished playing it. The sense of openness that you get from roaming around on the plains is unparalleled, and it truly surprises me that no other game studio has expanded much on this sort of theme. It's like games about pirates. Assassin's Creed: Black Flag was amazing for the sea pirating, but nothing else is really around that does it anywhere near as well. I know Ubisoft are working on a standalone pirate title, but why no other studio has done similar is beyond me. How many have wanted to play a pirate or a cowboy when they were kids? A sandbox world in both gives us that ability, and that's why I'm looking forward to RDR2 :)

Soldato
There's no console war going on. I've not compared any version to another on the console, and nobody here can do that with any sort of objective viewpoint because the game isn't out yet so anything said on this subject is pure conjecture right now. However, a few posts up someone asked which console to go for, so I've posted up a general objective viewpoint of the features of the Xbox that I really enjoy, and that made me purchase my Xbox One S in May this year in case it might help them with their decision. Not everyone looking to buy a console knows about features like GamePass, cross-platform play, or backward-compatibility. If me saying all of that constitutes a console war and is fanboyish then I truly don't get why. Fanboyism is favouring one over the other for no real reason other than just "because" or blind allegiance to a brand. I have none of that and neither do many in here posting up. The majority of comments have come from people that own both consoles.

And, since you're posting in a thread about Red Dead Redemption 2, and asking about sinking time into a 360 game because that feature is one available on an Xbox, then I'd say to you that I was able to go back and play Read Dead Redemption for a few weeks in preparation for RDR2 launching because I had the 360 disc and my Xbox One S allowed me to do that. So I guess you can say that sometimes some people will make use of that as it's a feature that MS offer on their consoles.

Well said mate.

The "fanboi" guy is just looking for a fight.

Caporegime

Believe it or not my post wasn't aimed at you, but I guess it says a lot when you feel the need to defend everything you've said for a second time on the same page... as if we couldn't read it the first time.

There has absolutely been a console war going on every now and then in this thread, there's a post just above yours that has nothing behind it but fanboy nonsense.

Soldato
Believe it or not my post wasn't aimed at you, but I guess it says a lot when you feel the need to defend everything you've said for a second time on the same page... as if we couldn't read it the first time.

There has absolutely been a console war going on every now and then in this thread, there's a post just above yours that has nothing behind it but fanboy nonsense.

No it was aimed at me. I have both consoles this game is on plus about 20 others of all eras.
I'll let you get on with it

Back
Top Bottom