Red Dwarf XI and XII

Associate
I didn't even mention Quarantine - in series 5. Just checked a list of "the best episodes ever" and it was No1. No 2 was Back to Reality. And the brilliant Inquisitor was about 5 th. And the remaining three were also top quality.

We clearly have a winner. And it's Series 5.

Edit - I just googled "the best Red dwarf Series ever?) and the answer was:at Number 1, Series 5.

Didn't surprise me at all. But I was taken aback by people on here not realising it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't say I was a fan of the first episode, I know they film infront of a live audience but the canned laughter is getting to be too much imo.

I can tell you after being at a few recordings its not canned laughter. I can imagine its been edited a bit to fit but it will be the actual laughter. What happens quite frequently is a funny scene gets a massive laugh but one of the cast **** it up so they have to retake it, and you have to laugh at it again, quite often because you know the punch line the laughter can be a bit forced. After about the 5th or 6th take its hard to laugh so when they finally crack it the actual laughter used is probably from the 1st take. As the audience is well up for the recording and has been warmed up by the warm up man the laughter you here is real believe me. I wouldnt be surprised if they also use the laughter that occurs when the cast mess about in between takes too. Its well known these days that at recordings the Floor Manager gets the audience to practice clapping or throws in some gags by the warm up man and they use that laughter.

When we went to see Rimmerworld there is a scene where he is walking through the forest musing about his world and surroundings and I let out a loud laugh at a completely non funny bit. Its in the episode you can hear it :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I've been re-watching Season 11 and some episodes are pretty hilarious but the plots seem to be repeating.

Example: the episode where Rimmer is promoted to Flt Lt by the guy printed from the organic printer. It's pretty funny but how many abandoned space ships / escape pods have they come across? :(

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

That scene is weaker than a San Marino reserve team :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
This season has been terrible. 11 wasn't brilliant but it was a good watch for the most part but this feels so tired and..odd.

like why can lister suddenly play the guitar well and why was red dwarf brown in the last episode when it's been red for the last 3 million years and why was Krytens first response to a computer virus onboard "abandon ship" when he fought and won against a similar virus back in season 6 AND for that matter why do they keep referencing old material like they have nothing new to write about? Talkie toaster, again something from an earlier series. Though that could have been an epic comeback for Talkie but it just fizzled in to nothingness.

I don't get It, I'm usually easy going with lazy writing etc but series 12 is just winding me up. They could do so much better!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Holly is back in this season

Permabanned
Spotted Jay from The Inbetweeners straight away in MILFS! :D

Me too.

Not really into the new seasons to be honest. That Hitler jam was just awful. How did they think that was ok?

Quite like the new plot regarding the other episode. could have ended better, Oh look it's 'Silicon Heaven' and the end. ???

Best episodes are scattered from season 3-5 in my opinion. Although 'Queeg' S2E5 was excellent as well.

Caporegime
Me too.

Not really into the new seasons to be honest. That Hitler jam was just awful. How did they think that was ok?

Quite like the new plot regarding the other episode. could have ended better, Oh look it's 'Silicon Heaven' and the end. ???

Best episodes are scattered from season 3-5 in my opinion. Although 'Queeg' S2E5 was excellent as well.

Yeah 'Queeq' was brilliant, when he had Rimmer running around the ship, and he fainted (or fell asleep), and carried on running, i was howling at that:D

Soldato
I'm just not feeling the love in this series. The episodes I've seen so far are not remotely funny and it's been a bit of a chore to watch them if I'm honest. I've been watching one of my favourite episodes to compensate - Talkie Toaster!!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Some cast spoilers but otherwise a decent interview. CC seems hammered though :o

Soldato
I don't mind the new series - at least we have RD back on our screens. But:

a. Hitler jam - found that really funny, but the scene did go on a bit too long and yes, how can Lister now play the guitar?!

b. They seem to be squeezing too much into the episodes as they seem to end rather abruptly or it is just bad editing.

c. They all look old and it was a little rapey when the Cat was thinking the female droid would want all 6 of his nipples - lol.

d. I knew RL had put on a bit of weight, but when he was sat around the group therapy meeting, compared to the other actors he is the size of a house.

Like i say, not whinging or 'having a go' at them being old (it happens to us all) just a couple of observations.

Back
Top Bottom