Red Sea / Houthi rebels situation

Soldato
Just got an email from my house oil company saying "oil prices due to Yemen strikes order now, or you'll all die from the cold" I mean come on, got to keep the public anxious.

Associate
Brent crude has gone up 2% today. Got to love the markets. Despite the fact half the ships have been going via South Africa for weeks as it is.

I imagine OPEC will cut production fairly soon because of lower prices / too high supply anyway (just to add insult to injury) so expect petrol and oil prices to spike again (just when they were starting to come down.. awesome).

Soldato
Just got an email from my house oil company saying "oil prices due to Yemen strikes order now, or you'll all die from the cold" I mean come on, got to keep the public anxious.

Companies learned from covid that they can push "possible shortage" to drive sales. It's very boring, as my mum reads the Mail and keeps telling me to buy all sorts of stuff.

Soldato
So we should do nothing? Sit by whilst ships are hijacked and supply routes stopped. Let Iran, China etc get even more an impression it can do what it wants because the West is so scared of it's past that it refuses to the do the right thing in isolated circumstances. Right ok.

Is that what I said?
No it isn't, so, wanna try again and actually stick to the statement I made?

Associate
Is that what I said?
No it isn't, so, wanna try again and actually stick to the statement I made?

You said:

Trig said:
Yeah, building up animosity and breeding the next wave of anti-western sentiment...

Which would I would think leave most people thinking that means you are rather strongly against us doing anything. If that's not right then feel free to say a bit more on what you mean.

Soldato
Does anyone getting the sinking feeling that we're getting ourselves slowly drawn into an escalating conflict?
Not at all, not this theater at least.

In a wider sense? Possibly, I've contemplated that we are heading towards growing wider smaller conflicts over the next couple of decades, where it will be a series of pseudo-proxy wars, that may/may not lead to global conflict in the end. However, hopefully cooler heads prevail in the long run before it amounts to that.

Soldato
Not at all, not this theater at least.

In a wider sense? Possibly, I've contemplated that we are heading towards growing wider smaller conflicts over the next couple of decades, where it will be a series of pseudo-proxy wars, that may/may not lead to global conflict in the end. However, hopefully cooler heads prevail in the long run before it amounts to that.

I remember reading an article from a historian a few years ago talking about the times that world superpowers throughout history had butted heads to gain suprememcy and the times it hadn't led to full scale conflict you could count on one hand, and that was down to having the right skilled politicians in the right place to avoid said conflicts.

At the time we had Trump and Boris.....I thought then we're ****** :p

Associate
Does anyone getting the sinking feeling that we're getting ourselves slowly drawn into an escalating conflict?

Preferable to allowing it all to endlessly simmer until it inevitably explodes into something bigger. How capable would Hamas/Houthi's be were they to be left to militarise for another 5 years?
Shame the catalyst had to be 1000+ dead in the Hamas terror attack but it's always the way.

Soldato
I remember reading an article from a historian a few years ago talking about the times that world superpowers throughout history had butted heads to gain suprememcy and the times it hadn't led to full scale conflict you could count on one hand, and that was down to having the right skilled politicians in the right place to avoid said conflicts.

At the time we had Trump and Boris.....I thought then we're ****** :p

No we had nukes. If by skilled politicians you mean Kennedy, Nixon, Johnson (Lyndon B) and Breznev, Kruschev, Andropov et al. They were all **** scared of the bomb, skill did not come into it.

Caporegime
Preferable to allowing it all to endlessly simmer until it inevitably explodes into something bigger. How capable would Hamas/Houthi's be were they to be left to militarise for another 5 years?
Shame the catalyst had to be 1000+ dead in the Hamas terror attack but it's always the way.
Well like the last century of Arab's inability to field even a mildly competent military... the chances of the Houthi's doing so are marginal.

Back
Top Bottom