Red Sea / Houthi rebels situation

Caporegime
Thats because, with the best will in the world, 95% of folks in here don't have a clue but so many are still willing to say with 100% confidence "this is what happened".

Only a very tiny number of us folks in here who are either currently in, or have served in, any military tend to give their knowledge on OcUK (most avoid these threads like the plague TBH) and those with actual knowledge of the current Op won't be telling people about it on here. Then there's a small handful more very knowledgeable non-military people in here who know enough about military tactics, weapons and equipment to be worth listening too but again won't have any first hand knowledge of the current Op.

I try to say that asking questions is always OK such as "do you think they've used XYZ?" when asking about aircraft, weapons, tactics etc but the amount of people in here stating as 100% fact "they've used XYZ" or "they will use XYZ" when XYZ isn't in theatre or isn't capable of whats being suggested etc is extremely high, as it always is in any military thread (looking at you Ukraine thread).

As always, wait 24hrs and see what the military have released to the press for a better idea of the actual events, rather than using this "old wives gossiping over the garden fence" equivalent forum for "Good Gen" :)

Why let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Soldato
The Houthis are saying the air / missile strikes have been ineffective.

Just out of interest what actually is their motivation? I know they said it was to target Israeli owned ships / Israel-bound ships assisting with the conflict but that appears to be nonsense.

The Houthis are poor people where sticks and stones are advanced technology and many are also drug addicts who need money. Iran provides money and tells them for the money they need to attack Iran's enemies in various proxy engagements

so the real question is why is Iran trying to destabilise the entire middle east? It's because prior to recent events Israel and US were making new and stronger bonds with other countries in the region, and in future would form new alliances and cooperation. Iran really doesn't like this, because any political strength the US and Israel gains in the region weakens Iran's strength and they are doing everything short of declaring war themselves to destabilise the region in the hopes it prevents the US and Israel from having good relations with the region

Last edited:
Soldato
The Houthis are saying the air / missile strikes have been ineffective.

Just out of interest what actually is their motivation? I know they said it was to target Israeli owned ships / Israel-bound ships assisting with the conflict but that appears to be nonsense.

They are an anti-Saudi group who don't like SA's involvement in Yemen.

Yet another over-emotional bunch from the highly unstable place that is the middle east, where burning flags is mandatory. *sigh*

Last edited:
Don
The Houthis are poor people where sticks and stones are advanced technology and many are also drug addicts who need money. Iran provides money and tells them for the money they need to attack Iran's enemies in various proxy engagements

so the real question is why is Iran trying to destabilise the entire middle east? It's because prior to recent events Israel and US were making new and stronger bonds with other countries in the region, and in future would form new alliances and cooperation. Iran really doesn't like this, because any political strength the US and Israel gains in the region weakens Iran's strength and they are doing everything short of declaring war themselves to destabilise the region in the hopes it prevents the US and Israel from having good relations with the region
Personally mate I think that this is all the old cold war divisions, like I have said before I think Russia knows that it cant beat Ukraine while its been supplied by the Western Powers, so got Iran to talk to Hamas who kicked off on Isreal, which has lead to the Gaza conflict, I just dont think that Hamas realised just how much Isreal would keep going... Then Houthis to disrupt trade through the Suez Canal as for Russia and its allies this means nothing to them its mostly Europe and American/Canada that rely on the canal which is causing massive price hikes in an already cost of living crisis and take focus, money, and equipment from Ukraine which we have seen voiced by the Ukraine President... its more of a warm war then a second cold war.... pretty grim

Caporegime
Personally mate I think that this is all the old cold war divisions, like I have said before I think Russia knows that it cant beat Ukraine while its been supplied by the Western Powers, so got Iran to talk to Hamas who kicked off on Isreal, which has lead to the Gaza conflict

I think it's pretty fanciful to imagine that these groups can puppet each other like this.

I just dont think that Hamas realised just how much Isreal would keep going...

Hamas want Israel to massively overreact. Their aim was to cut off Israel's normalisation of relations with those around them and build hostility to the Israel cause. Nothing does that quite as well as daily pictures of the Israeli destruction of Gaza and members of the Israeli cabinet calling for ethnic cleansing of the region.

Soldato
Hamas want Israel to massively overreact. Their aim was to cut off Israel's normalisation of relations with those around them and build hostility to the Israel cause. Nothing does that quite as well as daily pictures of the Israeli destruction of Gaza and members of the Israeli cabinet calling for ethnic cleansing of the region.

Israel has not over-reacted though.

Soldato
Which would I would think leave most people thinking that means you are rather strongly against us doing anything. If that's not right then feel free to say a bit more on what you mean.

Not at all, but, unless you tackle the causes of the things that make these people want to blow other people up in the first place, you will change nothing, the problem is when you do 'anything' in another country and people die, the relatives and friends of those people then become the next group of people that want to attack you, the entire thing is a cyclical problem, which, until we grow up as a race, will continue because everyone wants to do something for themselves and screw everyone else...

Soldato
Overreacted is an understatement. They are no better than Russia. They have bombed Palestine the same way Russia bombed Ukraine killing thousands of innocents who have nothing to do with HAMAs,

They are cowards, they could have used a scalpel and went after HAMAS without the need for massacre of innocents.
Israel is a terrorist state, because they are aligned with the west doesn't change that

Russia has inflicted far fewer casualties than Israel. It's not even close. Israel isn't even trying to reduce casualties, they literally don't give a **** at this point.

Soldato
Not at all, but, unless you tackle the causes of the things that make these people want to blow other people up in the first place, you will change nothing, the problem is when you do 'anything' in another country and people die, the relatives and friends of those people then become the next group of people that want to attack you, the entire thing is a cyclical problem, which, until we grow up as a race, will continue because everyone wants to do something for themselves and screw everyone else...
In the end though doing nothing equates to the same outcome when you are faced with an ideology that only cares about death to Israel and/or the west.

Soldato
Overreacted is an understatement. They are no better than Russia. They have bombed Palestine the same way Russia bombed Ukraine killing thousands of innocents who have nothing to do with HAMAs,

They are cowards, they could have used a scalpel and went after HAMAS without the need for massacre of innocents.
Israel is a terrorist state, because they are aligned with the west doesn't change that

The concept of a war in which no one gets hurt is largely something the media and politicians have dreamt up, which is completely unrealistic. It is frankly absurd to suggest this could be done with a scalpel. In a city it don't matter how accurate your bomb is, it's still going to kill civilians.

This is a city with two million people packed in. Soldiers and civilians in the mix. You could equally blame Hamas for not having the gumption to meet Israel on the battlefield. Instead they hide underneath and behind their own people.

Israel could not ignore what Hamas did. Hamas brought this on their own people. Sure, Israel could offer more assistance to the Palestinians, but the blame is not theirs, it is firmly on the heads of those who started this, and who still hide underneath the people they claim to protect.

I am tired of people separating the Palestinians and Hamas. The Palestinians empowered Hamas. Hamas now hides behind the Palestinians. Is Israel supposed to just say "oh, dear, what a fuddle" and walk away? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom