• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Release dates for the super cards

Associate
Doest AMD have their keynote like an hr before Nvidia, could see some chunky price cuts to say up urs Nvidia :D £699 7900xt be nice
I've one has been on the ball the past few months, there was a moment where there was a 7900xt being sold for just that price. Might have been here on OCUK I think, Sapphire Pulse perhaps? Just check pricing history and it was. Few bits in July August and even in September.

Soldato
Nah, they have a v small window to dictate the play for once. I say they should go for it!!
The only time I remember AMD getting in first was with the 5700XT and 5700 when they announced $450 and $380 prices expecting the new 20 series super cards to be more but when Nvidia kept prices static AMD were forced into a price cut 2 days before launch.

Associate

If accurate, it’ll put pressure on amd to drop the prices of the 7900xtx to 850-900 to compete.

Soldato
Those big coolers were overkill anyway and a waste on the 4080 which used about the same average power as a 3070ti, they were probably only used to make the card look bigger and better than it really was to justify its OTT price.
That's such a bizarre mindset to me. A larger cooler will always be quieter, assuming a similar level of engineering went into it. I want big coolers and the benefits they bring. There's no such thing as "overkill". I had a 4070 Ti Gaming X (the original) for a while and it was absolutely silent (since it had no coil whine either). You could press your head up to the case and not hear it. I recently tried the Slim model and whilst it's still a fairly quiet card, it's by no means silent. You can hear it even whilst gaming and the temperatures are higher too (though still "fine"). The lighting on it is really cheap-looking and ugly too, though that's less important. What is important is that the price tag hasn't changed - you're just getting a worse cooler for the same money. Celebrating that seems... weird.

Caporegime
The only time I remember AMD getting in first was with the 5700XT and 5700 when they announced $450 and $380 prices expecting the new 20 series super cards to be more but when Nvidia kept prices static AMD were forced into a price cut 2 days before launch.
Yeah, I remember that horsecrap 'jebaiting' business they tried to pull.

Soldato
That's such a bizarre mindset to me. A larger cooler will always be quieter, assuming a similar level of engineering went into it. I want big coolers and the benefits they bring. There's no such thing as "overkill". I had a 4070 Ti Gaming X (the original) for a while and it was absolutely silent (since it had no coil whine either). You could press your head up to the case and not hear it. I recently tried the Slim model and whilst it's still a fairly quiet card, it's by no means silent. You can hear it even whilst gaming and the temperatures are higher too (though still "fine"). The lighting on it is really cheap-looking and ugly too, though that's less important. What is important is that the price tag hasn't changed - you're just getting a worse cooler for the same money. Celebrating that seems... weird.
If your willing to pay the same money for a worse cooler than that’s on you the point I’m making is the cards shouldn’t have been this price in the first place and part of the scam was putting a bigger cooler them so they appeared more premium/high end than they actually are.

Also another thing they did to convince people they were higher end was inflate the TDPs to match last gen’s parts, the 4080 getting 320w and the 4070ti 275w yet the real power usage is often a tier or 50w below which is why we are now seeing a 4070 ti super allegedly using the same power as a 4070ti despite being on a higher tier die with faster and more VRAM and more cuda cores.

Soldato

Things like this make me wonder if AMD would be even more greedy and exploitative than Nvidia if they were the market leader.

Associate
Why bother with the 4070ti super at all, just drop the 4080 to £800 and be done with it.
Because they want to charge £800+ for a 5070 and are making folks get used to such prices for an x70 card.
Of course its just a big money making scheme.

I wouldn't be surprised if it panned out like this within a couple of generations:
x90 -£2k
x80 - £1.5k
x70 - £1k
x60 - £500

We aren't even too far off atm. All they need to do is add a couple hundred quid or so to RRPs across the board....

Price per FPS is going up, not down like it used to/should do.

Back
Top Bottom