Resident Evil 7!!!

Soldato
Guys I'm playing a horror game just now called Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth and I'm loving it. It's quite old now (2006) but it's only £3.99 on steam. Made by Bethesda and based on a H.P. Lovecraft story. The tension and intrigue is just fantastic. This is going to be in my top 10 favourite horror game ever. The graphics, mechanics and controls are nothing to shout about but it all just works so well. Worth checking out at that price.

Soldato
spoilers!

Just completed it and overall I was left a little disappointed. The first few hours were amazing, it was actually pretty scary in places and the lack of ammo and what seemed like invincible enemies created a lot of tension. Really felt like it was back to its roots. As soon as I left the house it all went downhill and morphed into a second rate action game. Still a decent game, but it's a shame they couldn't have kept the atmosphere and tension till the end.

I found it incredibly easy as well. Not sure if the game was designed with a console in mind and they didn't take the mouse/kb making it easier into consideration. The first few hours were quite tough as there was so little ammo lying around, but after a while I had a machine gun with 400 ammo, upgraded handgun with 40 rounds and 30+ rounds, upgraded shotgun with 40 rounds and like 10 firstaid bottles and enough herbs and yellow bag things to make 10 more. The bosses after marguerite were a cake walk as well. It could be because on console it would be hard to hit the eyes on Jack, but with a mouse kb the fight was over without even dying. The end boss was way too easy, Just fired 5 neuro rounds at her then a few shotgun blasts and then it was over. On the older Resident evil games the end boss would be a challenge and when its all over and you get the end video you can sigh a breath of relief, but I just didn't get that at all with this game.

It was still a good game and i'll probably play it though again on hard mode to get the other ending. They are certainly heading in the right direction and i'll be interested to see where they go next. I'd have loved some more story dlc, maybe find out what happens to the person you leave behind...

Soldato
Well here comes the dark and cold days and here comes my first game in a looong time :)
Great choice of game to back to gaming for. Just fired it up myself for a second replay last week. Was having serious withdrawal after finishing The Evil Within 2 so thought Resident Evil would be close enough to it to fill the void I'm currently feeling. You should check out The Evil Within games if you like horror - they're both awesome.

Associate
Great choice of game to back to gaming for. Just fired it up myself for a second replay last week. Was having serious withdrawal after finishing The Evil Within 2 so thought Resident Evil would be close enough to it to fill the void I'm currently feeling. You should check out The Evil Within games if you like horror - they're both awesome.

How do you think Res 7 compares to EW2 ? (interested in your opinion after just finishing EW2 myself... and I have Res 7 sitting in my backlog) :)

Soldato
The first half of the game feels quite different to TEW2, it's more of a hat tip to the earlier Res Evil games, exploring indoors and solving puzzles to progress. As the game progresses it gets more action orientated and feels a bit closer to TEW style all be it that it's first person and not 3rd. RE7 felt like a slightly more unique / special experience on reflection but only just. Love both games.

Associate
The first half of the game feels quite different to TEW2, it's more of a hat tip to the earlier Res Evil games, exploring indoors and solving puzzles to progress. As the game progresses it gets more action orientated and feels a bit closer to TEW style all be it that it's first person and not 3rd. RE7 felt like a slightly more unique / special experience on reflection but only just. Love both games.

Cheers, will deffo give it some serious time soon :)

Soldato
Part1 of the DLC is live on Steam UK now. 5.5GB download. You may need to restart Steam after to pick up part 2 which is around 3GB ish but not appearing on UK Steam yet.

Back
Top Bottom