Retro console and games thread

Man of Honour
This is my first Xbox of any description.

Probably keep the exclusives, of which there were 14 out of the 50. Two appeared on PC, so they don't count, so that's 12.

There's a couple of multiplats that I have on PS2 as well, so I'll keep the Xbox versions of those since it was a more powerful console. I assume the multiplats tended to be better on Xbox from what I've read.

I've got a boxed Starwing SNES, plus half a dozen other games and a Nintendo Scope 6 I'm collecting on Saturday, all being well.

Last edited:
Soldato
I ended up buying Corporation in the end, couldn't find a decent scan, and it was pretty cheap.

As I took the cover out to scan it, this popped out.

Corporation.jpg

Probably the oldest receipt I own now. All the way from up north as well. :p

Soldato
I love finding old receipts for games. I found one from 1996 for Redalert a few months back. Back in the day of Game in Meadowhall when I was a kid and the 9 huge tvs that were linked in the main dome part. and the large arcade area which is now gone. and gadget shop :)

How do you get access to the facebook closed group 'Retro for sale' ?
I have sent a request but not sure if I need to do anything else

Going to buy myself a Megadrive and have a bash at completing Sonic again. Haven't properly played it since I was about 10 in the early 90s. Looking on Ebay an un-boxed console with 1 pad and 3 or 4 games sells inc delivery for around £40 or £50. Is this around the price I should be looking?

Man of Honour
Depends on the model and the games included.

If you want the best picture and sound output then you want the Mark I with HD graphics and stereo sound logo around the cartridge slot. Even the you'll need a decent RGB SCART cable with the breakout lead for the headphone jack to get stereo output through the TV.

If you're not that bothered when a mark II would be the cheapest option.

You're better off looking on Gumtree or Shpock, eBay prices are over inflated most of the time. But that's down to the fact that you can kiss goodbye to 25-30% of your sale price in fees and postage.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks. The one I had my eye on was £43 inc postage, with 'high definition graphics and stereo sound' aroound the cart slot, had a scart cable and original pad. It came with Megagames 1, 2 and 3.
I should have just bought it really and paid a fiver for Sonic

edit, what is the difference between a Megadrive I and Megadrive II? I can't find this info on wiki or anywhere. It just states MK1, MK2, or is this the same? Is the Megadrive II not 'high definition' and does not have stereo sound? Seems strange

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Mark II is just a revised model that was cheaper to produce, so the sound and graphics chip weren't the same as the original in terms of sound quality and picture quality.

You'd probably need to run a mark I and II side by side to notice the difference, I'll bet.

Associate
So I just scored a Sony PVM-20N6E on Gumtree for £50. Always wanted a GOOD CRT for playing my older consoles, but tbh, what I love the most is the ZERO latency. It's been probably 10 years since I pressed a button on a controller and saw the response instantly on the screen. This will be so so helpful for when im speedrunning.

Associate
So I just scored a Sony PVM-20N6E on Gumtree for £50. Always wanted a GOOD CRT for playing my older consoles, but tbh, what I love the most is the ZERO latency. It's been probably 10 years since I pressed a button on a controller and saw the response instantly on the screen. This will be so so helpful for when im speedrunning.

Nice purchase. Slightly expensive I would say as it is only a 500TVL screen but should still look nice and sharp. Make sure you have a some bnc to rca adopters if you plan on playing composite/component source's and a bnc to scart cable for rgb.

Also if you have a wii/dreamcast or a machine with an everdrive download the 240p suite to help set up the geometry.

Great displays mind. I have 2 pvms and a jvc and will do everything to make them last as long as possible!

Enjoy :D

Back
Top Bottom