Retro console and games thread

Associate
Latest addition to the amiga cd32 collection

IMG-20211025-205859.jpg

Soldato
I never played Simon The Sorcerer. :(
Such a good game. I remember owning the big box version (only version) and it was on 14 floppy disks! Also had quite a beefy manual. The box weighed a tonne.
It was relentless in “insert disk xx” then hoping it would read correctly. Joys of the Amiga.

Associate
Anybody remember a game called Kings Quest, early 90s version?

It was available on the Amiga and the Acorn Archimedes plus PC Windows 3.11. I have some of the floppies of that game from years ago. I want to try find that game again. I think I had the 1994 version on floppy disk.

I want to try find all the old games I had on my Acorn as well but google searches of those don't show much and other games I can't find any existence of them most of them being educational games.

Here is a short list:
Badger Trails - I have found info in google on that game but I'd like to get that game again.
Kings Quest
Around The World in 80 days
- I've not found the version I played at school on the Acorn when I was a kid.
Darryl the Dragon - I've found some info on it online.
Space City - It was a math game where you'd build each stage of a rocket that would lunch into space. I can't find nothing on it.
Table Aliens - a times table game. I loved the illustrations in that game. I can't find any existence of it in google.
Granny's Garden - I can only find the BBC Micro version of that game. I want to find the later 90s versions.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone have experience with PS2 HDMI converters? I'm looking to buy a PS2 Slim and not 100% sure if my TV would be compatible and might need a converter. It's not a new TV but also not a CRT, but it does have 2 scart sockets on the back, so I would guess at it might be possible.

Soldato
Anybody remember a game called Kings Quest, early 90s version?

It was available on the Amiga and the Acorn Archimedes plus PC Windows 3.11. I have some of the floppies of that game from years ago. I want to try find that game again. I think I had the 1994 version on floppy disk.

I want to try find all the old games I had on my Acorn as well but google searches of those don't show much and other games I can't find any existence of them most of them being educational games.

Here is a short list:
Badger Trails - I have found info in google on that game but I'd like to get that game again.
Around The World in 80 days - I've not found the version I played at school on the Acorn when I was a kid.

Loved playing these as a kid, not been able to find them either. Also played ArchVenture which I have found the files for, loved digging up Roman artefacts and then going back in time to find out what they did.

Soldato
So in a moment of weakness I bit the bullet and ordered a Satiator for my Saturn the other day. Should be here any day now. I was all set to go with a TO Mode, but I honestly couldn’t bring myself to open up my immaculate Jap Saturn.

Reviews are promising and obviously it’s simply plug and play. I’m hoping this will reignite my retro bug, as I haven’t really touched any of my collection of late. Though I did buy another PS2 fat last night, hoping that the upcoming OSSC Pro or current Retrotink 5X will improve the 480i visuals.

Anyone else still having fun with ODEs?

Soldato
So in a moment of weakness I bit the bullet and ordered a Satiator for my Saturn the other day. Should be here any day now. I was all set to go with a TO Mode, but I honestly couldn’t bring myself to open up my immaculate Jap Saturn.

Reviews are promising and obviously it’s simply plug and play. I’m hoping this will reignite my retro bug, as I haven’t really touched any of my collection of late. Though I did buy another PS2 fat last night, hoping that the upcoming OSSC Pro or current Retrotink 5X will improve the 480i visuals.

Anyone else still having fun with ODEs?
Currently have a couple of ODEs

Dreamcast (GDEmu clone)
NTSC-J Saturn (Fenrir)
NTSC-J Playstation (Xstation)

Really enjoying the Playstation at the moment but I do have a couple of games I want to play on Saturn and Dreamcast when I get round to it.

The OSSC Pro is looking promising, gutted about the recent announcement regarding costs of parts putting the project on hold, otherwise it would be ready to go.

The RetroTINK 5x is good and MikeChi is constantly updating it, definitely a good option and very plug and play. It's been great to play without having to play about with settings / timings etc.

There was a video put out the other week with tips and tricks on improving PS2 content with the 5x

Soldato
Currently have a couple of ODEs

Dreamcast (GDEmu clone)
NTSC-J Saturn (Fenrir)
NTSC-J Playstation (Xstation)

Really enjoying the Playstation at the moment but I do have a couple of games I want to play on Saturn and Dreamcast when I get round to it.

The OSSC Pro is looking promising, gutted about the recent announcement regarding costs of parts putting the project on hold, otherwise it would be ready to go.

The RetroTINK 5x is good and MikeChi is constantly updating it, definitely a good option and very plug and play. It's been great to play without having to play about with settings / timings etc.

There was a video put out the other week with tips and tricks on improving PS2 content with the 5x

Thanks Joe, I’ll take a look at that… just what I was after.

Quite interested in the Xstation too actually, I must have forgotten about that. Even though I use the HD with my current PS2, a PlayStation ODE would be ideal. Do you rate it?

Disappointing to hear about the OSSC Pro, but understandable. I’ve been debating wether to go for the RT 5x or wait for the OSSC. I think that has made my mind up. I’ll check your link first though.

Ta.

Soldato
After picking up boxed Prism HDMI for my cube last week for £32 I have gone a bit of a spending spree on eBay after falling completely back in love with the GameCube lol.

This week should have the following coming:

Def Jam Vendetta
MOH Allied Assault
NFS Underground
Dave Mirra 2
Bond - everything or nothing
Godzilla: Destroy all monsters
Sim's Bustin' Out

Have an offer in for Soul Calibur 2 but no response yet.... fingers crossed

Next up is going to be the Saturn being set up into a decent input. Has anyone got any ideas on the best cables for the console. Noticed there are a few HDMI options from the likes of pound etc, but are they and good?

Also that Satiator looks awesome! But wow what a price tag

Soldato
Thanks Joe, I’ll take a look at that… just what I was after.

Quite interested in the Xstation too actually, I must have forgotten about that. Even though I use the HD with my current PS2, a PlayStation ODE would be ideal. Do you rate it?

Disappointing to hear about the OSSC Pro, but understandable. I’ve been debating wether to go for the RT 5x or wait for the OSSC. I think that has made my mind up. I’ll check your link first though.

Ta.

The Xstation is easily up there with the MODE, it works really well. I haven't had any issues with compatibility either. All of the games I have tried work perfectly.

It might be worth checking out the MiSTer project as well, someone is working on Saturn and PSX cores. From what I can tell the PSX core is coming along really well. No updates from the Saturn in a while but looked promising.

After picking up boxed Prism HDMI for my cube last week for £32 I have gone a bit of a spending spree on eBay after falling completely back in love with the GameCube lol.

This week should have the following coming:

Def Jam Vendetta
MOH Allied Assault
NFS Underground
Dave Mirra 2
Bond - everything or nothing
Godzilla: Destroy all monsters
Sim's Bustin' Out

Have an offer in for Soul Calibur 2 but no response yet.... fingers crossed

Next up is going to be the Saturn being set up into a decent input. Has anyone got any ideas on the best cables for the console. Noticed there are a few HDMI options from the likes of pound etc, but are they and good?

Also that Satiator looks awesome! But wow what a price tag

Personally, HDMI converters for Saturn or PSX wouldn't be my first choice. There are too many games which switch resolution and ruin the experience (in my opinion). Depending on the games you'd be playing or if you don't mind the sync drops, I'd recommend the HDMI adpters sold by Retro Gaming Cables, they're easily best provider in the UK for RGB scart cables etc for retro consoles.

Soldato
The Xstation is easily up there with the MODE, it works really well. I haven't had any issues with compatibility either. All of the games I have tried work perfectly.

It might be worth checking out the MiSTer project as well, someone is working on Saturn and PSX cores. From what I can tell the PSX core is coming along really well. No updates from the Saturn in a while but looked promising.

Sounds pretty good. Annoyingly my PS1 is a 900X series and not compatible with the Xstation. I guess I could try and pick up another one of the right model, but at this rate I’ll be doubling my retro collection.

Ideally I need a PS2 ODE that caters for PS1 games too. I think there is one in the works but no idea when that’ll appear.

I keep looking at MiSTer but I really just want something plug and play, plus there’s something attractive about using the actual old hardware.

I should have got my fill when all of these consoles were current and I actually had time to play them :D

Soldato
Sounds pretty good. Annoyingly my PS1 is a 900X series and not compatible with the Xstation. I guess I could try and pick up another one of the right model, but at this rate I’ll be doubling my retro collection.

Ideally I need a PS2 ODE that caters for PS1 games too. I think there is one in the works but no idea when that’ll appear.

I keep looking at MiSTer but I really just want something plug and play, plus there’s something attractive about using the actual old hardware.

I should have got my fill when all of these consoles were current and I actually had time to play them :D

I've just realised you have the really nice 'This is cool' Saturn which was posted a while back. I don't blame you for not wanting to install an ODE :D.

The older consoles definitely have a charm about them and look amazing in most setups. If you change your mind about the MiSTer, it is very easy to get up and running and once setup is very plug and play.

Soldato
I've just realised you have the really nice 'This is cool' Saturn which was posted a while back. I don't blame you for not wanting to install an ODE :D.

The older consoles definitely have a charm about them and look amazing in most setups. If you change your mind about the MiSTer, it is very easy to get up and running and once setup is very plug and play.

Haha, yes indeed… I totally love my Saturn, which is why I felt I had to go with the Satiator. Looking forward to getting it up and running.

That’s interesting about the MiSTer, I thought it was more involved. Ok, colour me interested, I’ll look into it.

I’m still intending to get a Mode for my Dreamcast too. And a Analogue Duo when it comes. This hobby doesn’t stop!

Soldato
Haha, yes indeed… I totally love my Saturn, which is why I felt I had to go with the Satiator. Looking forward to getting it up and running.

That’s interesting about the MiSTer, I thought it was more involved. Ok, colour me interested, I’ll look into it.

I’m still intending to get a Mode for my Dreamcast too. And a Analogue Duo when it comes. This hobby doesn’t stop!

If you need some advice on the MiSTer give me a shout, once you get all the parts, it is very easy to put together and set up.

Retro gaming certainly isn't cheap but we do have some great options to enjoy it.

Soldato
So my Satiator came and I’ve been playing it solidly for the past couple of days. It’s pretty awesome. Takes no time to install and your up and running as soon as you’ve formatted your sd card and copied your games on.

It was definitely the right option for me and means I can stop scanning eBay for donor consoles for a Mode setup. It handles PAL and NTSC-J games well, with no issues so far. My only criticism at this point is that you have to power cycle the console to get back to the Satiator’s game menu. Reseting simply reloads the last game you played.

Having tried dozens of games now, I am all the more disappointed at many of the lazy ports the Saturn received. Reminds me of the Amiga with its library of poor ST ports. If only these companies had taken their time.

On the plus side I’m currently making my way through Castlevania Symphony of the night and it’s quite enjoyable despite being a poor port compared to the PS1 version. I had decided not to bother getting this game due to those issues, but in reality it’s still perfectly enjoyable. My only issue now is what to pick next to play. I fancy reliving some of my earlier gaming memories with some Duke Nukem 3D, at some point :D

Soldato
So my Satiator came and I’ve been playing it solidly for the past couple of days. It’s pretty awesome. Takes no time to install and your up and running as soon as you’ve formatted your sd card and copied your games on.

It was definitely the right option for me and means I can stop scanning eBay for donor consoles for a Mode setup. It handles PAL and NTSC-J games well, with no issues so far. My only criticism at this point is that you have to power cycle the console to get back to the Satiator’s game menu. Reseting simply reloads the last game you played.

Having tried dozens of games now, I am all the more disappointed at many of the lazy ports the Saturn received. Reminds me of the Amiga with its library of poor ST ports. If only these companies had taken their time.

On the plus side I’m currently making my way through Castlevania Symphony of the night and it’s quite enjoyable despite being a poor port compared to the PS1 version. I had decided not to bother getting this game due to those issues, but in reality it’s still perfectly enjoyable. My only issue now is what to pick next to play. I fancy reliving some of my earlier gaming memories with some Duke Nukem 3D, at some point :D

I'm not sure about the MODE but the Fenrir has the game retention on reset as well. Supposed to have an IGR combination to return to menu but it doesn't work very well.

If you're interested it might be worth checking out the 4MB SOTN patch, definitely helps make the game run a bit better.

Soldato
I'm not sure about the MODE but the Fenrir has the game retention on reset as well. Supposed to have an IGR combination to return to menu but it doesn't work very well.

If you're interested it might be worth checking out the 4MB SOTN patch, definitely helps make the game run a bit better.

Ah I’ve looked into this previously. I was going to go with the translation patch, as I’d heard the 4MB patch only really affected the menu loading time? I’ll need to check it again.

Back
Top Bottom