Retro console and games thread

Associate
OP
WonderSwan is a Japanese handheld game console released by Bandai in 1999. It was developed by the late Gunpei Yokoi's company Koto and Bandai. The WonderSwan was made to compete with the Neo-Geo Pocket Color and the market leader Nintendo's Game Boy Color (even though the developer for the WonderSwan, Gunpei Yokoi, developed the original Nintendo Game Boy).

The WonderSwan was later replaced by the WonderSwan Color. Although some WonderSwan Color games are compatible with the original WonderSwan, many are designed exclusively for the WonderSwan Color and show a message such as "This cartridge is for WonderSwan Color only" when run on the original WonderSwan.

The WonderSwan was available in ten case colors, playable both vertically and horizontally, and features a fairly large library of games. As it was a console designed essentially for the Japanese market, most of the games are in Japanese, with only a few featuring English text.

CPU: 16-bit processor at 3.072 MHz
Screen: FSTN reflective LCD
Resolution: 224 x 144 pixels
2.49 inch diagonal
Display performance: Max. 512 characters, max. 128 sprites (32 on one horizontal line), two screens (overlay possible), screen windows and sprite windows.
Graphics: 8-shade monochrome in the dot matrix section and six icons at the static section.
Audio:
4-channel digital stereo sound.
Built-in mono speaker or optional headphones with stereo adapter.
Size: 74.3 mm x 121 mm x 24.3 mm
Weight: 93g (without battery) 110g (with battery)
Power: 1 AA battery or rechargeable pack, ~30-40 hours playtime
Connecting Ports: Link Port, Stereo Jack & cartridge port
Cartridge Capacity: ROM and/or RAM - maximum 128Mbit (like Beat Mania)
Features:
Can be played holding the unit vertically or horizontally.
Built-in EEPROM and 1Kbit RAM for backing up game data.
Several levels of energy-saving control.

Associate
Sm0kin said:
The only retrobit of kit I have left is this:-

pic00190cl.jpg

Mark 1 Atari Lynx,Takes 6 AA batteries and they didn't last long, was the size of a small child and the same weight too.

California games was ace, and the lynx had the option to flip the screen for left handed folk. When they first were released cost a fair bit too.

This thread has given me the urge to browse ebay for an old white PC engine, think it's the only console I never owned when I was younger and I fancy a bit of near arcade perfect Chase HQ.

Dear god it's frickin HUGE ! lol

one of the few handhelds i have not owned, although i am now tempted :rolleyes:

Associate
:mad:

Thanks to this thread I've just picked up a Jap megadrive with a 12 games (and a free megadrive 2 :confused: ) off ebay for the princely sum of £12.

Tracking down a PC Engine looks like it'll be tough and probably expensive.

Also that pic of all the handhelds, what is that tiny little green gameboy-esque type machine?

Associate
Theres plenty of pc engines on ebay usually, along with loads of cheap games, tho getting the best games can be slightly more expensive. The cdrom systems like the briefcase and duo, duo r etc are more expensive, usually over a hundred quids. I keep meaning to pick one up but it'd mean buying a bunch of cdrom games too ofcos. The little engine to go for is probably the core grafx or core2. They don't get anywhere near as dirty or go yellow like the white ones, and they go straight into your composite AV on your telly.

edit! The little handheld is a donkey kong junior game and watch, nintendo released a whole series of mini gameboy styled game and watch games, around 2000 i think it was.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Bit of info for you all the first console to come standard with wireless pads was NOT the xbox 360 but the sega Wondermega !!

This system was soooooooo far ahead for its time

Soldato
Sega_Neptune.jpg

Sega Neptune, a 32x and Mega Drive in one. When you look back, it's quite easy to see how Sega hardware ended up going down the pan. They made a pretty bad hash of things with the 32x.

Soldato
Fusion said:
Sega_Neptune.jpg

Sega Neptune, a 32x and Mega Drive in one. When you look back, it's quite easy to see how Sega hardware ended up going down the pan. They made a pretty bad hash of things with the 32x.

Thats one console I completely forgot about, did it actually ever come out - cant remember?

Soldato
Some random pics hanging around my webspace of things i own..

wireless.jpg

NES pads

whitesat1.jpg

Got the box and everything for it

pinkn64.jpg

Got an orange one as well but its not boxed

msconverter.jpg

Play Master System games on the Megadrive

Soldato
mastersystem.jpg

mastersystem2.jpg

A nice find at a local charidee shop where they keep the consoles and games back for me, they go in the bin otherwise!

lynx1.jpg

lynx2.jpg

Got a boxed Mk1 Lynx here as well, not sure if i have pics of it about though

Back
Top Bottom