[review] Hyundai N91W Widescreen

Associate
I got one of these monitors on Tuesday and frankly I love it!

I found the colours to be a little to white and sort of washed out at first but as metioned the contrast was way upto, and I knocked this down, along with the Brightness to literally around 30 from the 100 it was on and now my blacks are nice and well black, and colour seems a lot more vibrant!

Really enjoying the space the monitor gives me (upgraded from a 19' 4:3 CRT) and also love the fact I can easily connect my Xbox 360 to the monitor and run it in lovely 1280x720. It looks fantastic like this and certainly well worth doing if you have one!

Just a question mind you - because I am not very knowledgeable about monitors and that. Was I right to knock the contrast and brightness down? I know it's all about personal preference and that - I mean I happy with how things look, just wondering about things like screen burn and stuff like that?! I know it's quite common to get a TV with the setting boosted up, and it's wise to knock them down to about 1/3 or so but is that right with monitors too?

Also just remembered I get the issue like someone else where I don't get any screens on booting my PC till I get into windows! I notice the monitor is plug and play in my device manager so obviously I need to install the right driver - just don't have the disc to hand right now to test - do you think that will sort it?

I did read on another forum something about confusing refresh rates or something but frankly I'm just ???????? with stats like that!

Cheers!

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Should be fine :) What I did with mine is because I'm using DVI the "auto" button won't work since the gfx card/pc do all the auto-ing - I used the reset option then set the colour to native then:

Set brightness to 17

Set Contrast to 38

I have an nvidia gfx card so I used the display optimization wizard which is a more accurate utility compared to Adobe Gamma from what I can see from the results (just ignore the bit where it asks you to set contrast to 100 though, lol) and simply adjust the brightness as you see fit (17 is my recommended value) and go from there in the wizard!

You won't need to bother with the cd drivers, they aren't signed for XP and could even contain colour anomalies within the icm profile - I uninstalled them fast and used windows plug and play native support.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just seen the video clips for your monitor mrk and they look awesome. I've still not decided which monitor to go for so I'll probably end up buying a Dell if it's heads and the Hyundai if it's tails :D Any chance you could upload a minute or so of a DVD? Cheers.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Pigeon_Killer said:
Just seen the video clips for your monitor mrk and they look awesome. I've still not decided which monitor to go for so I'll probably end up buying a Dell if it's heads and the Hyundai if it's tails :D Any chance you could upload a minute or so of a DVD? Cheers.

Let me grab the dv camera again :p

Associate
Thanks for that!

I had my Brightness rather low and the contrast was on 25 or somethin (I've forgotten already to be honest)

I changed the setting to match yours (I am using DVI also) and I like what I see - nothing too bright which is what I was afraid of!

I need to play some more games and things and see how it looks in all conditions but it looks great to my eyes now!

All I really am concerned with is not wanting to getting any screenburn or anything because I used my PC a lot, and now I can use my Xbox 360 on this monitor too, it's going to get A LOT of use!

I don't have that screen utility you have, but then I have an ATI card - Don't understand half the stuff the ATI utility does, but black is black and colours look nice so I guess it is doing something right! :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
ATI has good 2d display quality so you should be fine I guess but they shold also have a wizard to callibrate the display with your dirvers like nvidia I would have thought!

The video will be uploaded in 10 mins btw, it's a Fifth Element-HD 3 minute sample :) Ignore the audio, headphones were next to my head :p

http://www.fixit-4u.net/mrk/root/photos/room_gear/pc_tft_n91w/vid_HDfifthelement.wmv (21MB)

P.S. You won't get screen burn on a modern TFT!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Pigeon_Killer said:
^ Cheers dude. Much appreciated. I don't really know what I was looking for but most reviews say TN panels are pretty crap for video. IMO, that looked pretty damn good :D

My previous panel was also a TN and I have no issues with *** new one as I didn't with the old one either when watching movies :p

It's as sharp and as clear as watching it on a flat panel/screen TV !

I guess the people who say bad things about them are the ones who don't take a moment to actually adjust the settings and callibrate the screen using a tool first though!

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for all the info mrk! :)

As I said I know very little about these things and the last thing I want to do is ruin my lovely new monitor!

Spike what game is that in your second picture you posted a few posts up from here? It looks amazing, just have no idea what it is!

Hitman
Soldato
Just picked me up one of these from OcUK :)

First thing I noticed is the weight, phroooar it's heavy. Not a problem though.

Got it home, unpacked it and plugged it in within 5 minutes. Reallllllly impressed with it thus far :)

Can't wait to try some games / movies on her :)

Pics: http://www.opticalgaming.com/matt/newmonitor/

Last edited:
Associate
I've used this monitor for a while now and have concluded that it ROCKS!!!!!!!!
Sharp and vivid picture! No dead pixels! No ghosting! Good resolution scaling!
Some more game pics below (again I'm sorry their a bit naff):

Broken Sword: The Angel Of Death (looks AWESOME in widescreen!) :D

img0364mt9.jpg

img0366sh5.jpg

Battlefield 2
When I first tried to run BF2, it kept crashing to desktop. So I reinstalled it but it kept crashing. I finally got it to work by doing the following:
Open your 'my documents' and delete everything inside the 'Battlefield 2' folder.
That should get you into the game. You'll need to redo all your settings I'm afraid.
The only res you'll be able to use is 1024x768, which works really well surprisingly :) . (I use 2xAA for good measure).

img0368cs8.jpg

Associate
Well after reading this i decided to go get myself one!!!

Been my first TFT i am quite a n00b when it comes to configuring things (left my CRT on default, lol) so im just tinkering away.

Any advice guys?

Pics later ;)

Back
Top Bottom