Rift S DisplayPort issue

Soldato
OP
Well there's a thing.

Tried the GTX 1050Ti in my other PCIe slot (which is really tight!) ... and it worked!

So tried the 1050Ti in the slot I usually use ... and it worked! (It gave me a moment's hesitation where Oculus reported instead that it wasn't even compatible - but's that because I had jumped the gun and tried it before Windows had recognised the card fully.)

So it's the GPU that the Rift S doesn't like. Or at least the GPU when combined with my other hardware. Weird.

I guess I'll report this back to Oculus and see what they suggest. But I can't see what they can suggest apart from changing my GPU.

What's a worthwhile but cost-effective upgrade from a 1080Ti? I probably will want to stick with nVidia as I have a GSync monitor.

Associate
I was using a Palit 1080ti,now using a Palit 2080ti,with none of the issue's you have had,very strange going's on.
Have you tried cleaning the contact's with an eraser,worth a shot,only a two minute job.

Soldato
Well there's a thing.

Tried the GTX 1050Ti in my other PCIe slot (which is really tight!) ... and it worked!

So tried the 1050Ti in the slot I usually use ... and it worked! (It gave me a moment's hesitation where Oculus reported instead that it wasn't even compatible - but's that because I had jumped the gun and tried it before Windows had recognised the card fully.)

So it's the GPU that the Rift S doesn't like. Or at least the GPU when combined with my other hardware. Weird.

I guess I'll report this back to Oculus and see what they suggest. But I can't see what they can suggest apart from changing my GPU.

What's a worthwhile but cost-effective upgrade from a 1080Ti? I probably will want to stick with nVidia as I have a GSync monitor.

Wow Bazza, that's one bad bugger of a problem!! The only thing is, you know it was now so at least you can stop tearing your hair out trying to solve it.

My suggest is a 2070 Super. It's really only a side grade in normal gaming performance but it's a good upgrade for VR performance. I made the switch from a 1080Ti to the 2070 Super and I have been very happy with the switch. It's the most cost effective switch. The only other Turing card worth changing over to is the 2080Ti. If you can hold out until Black Friday there might be a deal or two on.

Soldato
OP
Interesting. I was wondering about the 2070S myself - given I can sell my 1080Ti it should be too huge a cost to change. When you say it makes more of a difference for VR, why is that?

Soldato
OP
I can certainly wait for black friday. I might keep an eye out on the members market too, although I'm not 100% sure how I feel about a second hand GPU.

Soldato
Good news than you've managed to pin the issue on the GPU. I wonder if the oculus techs get could get any further info from the PC/GPU combo issue if they did a spot of the old remote access and had a mooch round your system.
As it's a fresh install there wouldn't be much on it.

Soldato
Interesting. I was wondering about the 2070S myself - given I can sell my 1080Ti it should be too huge a cost to change. When you say it makes more of a difference for VR, why is that?

Can you try one more thing with your card. It's a totally safe procedure. Some Nvidia cards have display port problems, especially Pascal and Maxwell cards and they released a tool that checks to see if your card needs a firmware upgrade. If it needs an upgrade it does it.

You can download it here.

https://www.nvidia.com/content/Driv...ter_1.0-x64.exe&firmware=1&lang=us&type=Other

Soldato
You had me proper excited then - because it did need an update.

But still didn't work when it was completed. :)

Ah Man!! You are killing me here :p

I was sure I was on to a winner with that! You reinstalled the latest graphic drivers after doing the firmware update?

ok, I guess it's back to answering your question about VR on the 2070 super. The 2070 Super is much better in VR because Turing cards have features for VR that the 1080Ti doesn't. It holds higher frame rates for longer. The 2070 Super is also better in DX12 and Vulkan games.

I know you are not sure about buying second hand cards. But, in the members market a guy called Besty is selling a Founders Edition 2070S at a great price. It might be worth taking a look and having a chat. It would be a very cheap switch after selling your 1080Ti.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You reinstalled the latest graphic drivers are doing the firmware update?

Wait a sec - I didn't do this. You're saying to re-install nVidia drivers after the firmware update? Even though they're already the latest drivers?

I'm pretty convinced on the 2070S. The difference in the benchmark scores from that to the various 2080 offerings just don't seem to justify the extra outlay.

Soldato
Wait a sec - I didn't do this. You're saying to re-install nVidia drivers after the firmware update? Even though they're already the latest drivers?

I'm pretty convinced on the 2070S. The difference in the benchmark scores from that to the various 2080 offerings just don't seem to justify the extra outlay.

yeah, you have to reinstall the drivers. It's like a new card to the system.

I spent ages deciding between the 2070S, the 2080 and the 2080S. I wanted to upgrade from my 1080Ti but didn't want to spend too much but I also wanted a performance increase. No matter what way I looked I couldn't justify the expense of any of the 2080 cards over the 2070S. So I bought the 2070S and I have been very happy with it.

Soldato
OP
Re-installed, didn't work. :)

I do have nVidia support now looking into it (pleasantly surprised that they didn't wash their hands of it in the same way as Oculus support now have), but I'm pretty resigned to replacing my GPU.

Your continued help over 7 pages has been immensely appreciated! :)

Soldato
Re-installed, didn't work. :)

Why am I not surprised by that?? ;)

I do have nVidia support now looking into it (pleasantly surprised that they didn't wash their hands of it in the same way as Oculus support now have), but I'm pretty resigned to replacing my GPU.

Wow, that's pretty good from Nvidia. Hope they find something, because there are bound to be others suffering the same problem.

Your continued help over 7 pages has been immensely appreciated! :)

While my continued failure over 7 pages has not :p

Your welcome :)

Soldato
OP
nVidia have suggested a few things. None worked yet, but they're still trying! Latest is they've asked for a copy of MSINFO file. See if they can find anything in there.

At the same time, I read through Oculus supports last email absolving themselves of responsibility because I've proved it is a GPU issue. And decided that's a bit wrong. So I have emailed them back pointing out that since it was working fine and had a perfectly stable DP connection until it updated the firmware, that isn't quite true. It isn't a case of a faulty GPU, it's a case of a compatibility issue, so that remains as much their fault as nVidias.

Doubt that'll achieve anything, but can't hurt to try while I'm waiting for the no-doubt astonishingly cheap black Friday deals. :D

Soldato
You have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the fault is with the GPU, so I am not sure what you expect Oculus to do? This is like the reason that Nvidia had to release that firmware that I posted earlier. Some cards just didn't work right with newer monitors. In some cases they worked for a while and then stopped, in others the fault was intermittent or didn't work at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if you broke it yourself to give yourself a reason to upgrade :p:D Roll on Black Friday!! :)

Soldato
OP
Don't you think it working before the firmware update points to an issue with the firmware rather than the card?
Or maybe saying an issue with one or the other isn't quite right - an incompatibility between the two.

Back
Top Bottom