Rift s whos getting one?

Soldato
Also I'm not keen on the halo headstrap with no headphones. I really like the Rift headphones.

I like the Go setup as the stock headphone in the band are OK if you still need to hear outside of VR but you can then use normal headphones via the 3.5mm jack, works great with noise cancelling units :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Nps man, but it's got to make you wonder where Oculus are coming from.
This appears to be a Go, with a HDMI cable connector and probably with simplified electronics and no battery. So how do they think it's OK to charge double that?

Soldato
I think the only reason I'd go out and get this is if my Rift failed and I'd have to buy a new one. The only thing objectively better than the original Rift (if you already have a fully working 3 sensor setup) are the new lenses and lower SDE.

In many ways it's worse:
Worse tracking
Worse panels
Worse IPD adjustment
Worse sound (no built in headphones, which are important for me to prevent sound leakage - the Go is quite anti-social if you don't use headphones)
Worse headstrap

I think this is a bad move. Still I'd like to try one. Maybe it's way better than my Rift in practice. We'll see.

Soldato
Would you pay £200 for a single controller, a move from 3DOF to 6DOF and the LOSS of it's mobile capabilities as a GO?

You asking the wrong person, I bought the rift before touch was available and shipped with single sensor and xbox controller, then bought the touch controllers as an add-on and then picked up a Go :D

Asa

Asa

Associate
I think the only reason I'd go out and get this is if my Rift failed and I'd have to buy a new one. The only thing objectively better than the original Rift (if you already have a fully working 3 sensor setup) are the new lenses and lower SDE.

In many ways it's worse:
Worse tracking
Worse panels
Worse IPD adjustment
Worse sound (no built in headphones, which are important for me to prevent sound leakage - the Go is quite anti-social if you don't use headphones)
Worse headstrap

I think this is a bad move. Still I'd like to try one. Maybe it's way better than my Rift in practice. We'll see.

I wouldn't assume the tracking is worse. I had a 3 sensor Rift setup, and I have an Odyssey+. I would honestly think 5 camera inside-out tracking is superior to a 3 sensor Rift setup. Having said that, the screens and lack of any other advancements are so so disappointing. The fact that Oculus have such good exclusive games on the way only makes that feeling worse.

At the moment I've thinking HP's new headset with Valve's knuckles, but I have my eyes firmly on HTC and on Valve to see if their respective headsets offer anything more.

Soldato
I wouldn't assume the tracking is worse.

The 'Tested' video confirms the tracking is worse. More opportunities for occlusion when the controllers are behind you or if one controller is placed over the other. Bow and arrow games like In Death will have worse tracking as it is harder to track the controllers when they are near the cameras.

Overall this seems a pretty big step backwards, and enthusiast VR gamers who want the best headset possible may well move to other manufacturers, like the new Valve headset when that releases with knuckles, if it's a significant improvement.

Asa

Asa

Associate
The 'Tested' video confirms the tracking is worse. More opportunities for occlusion when the controllers are behind you or if one controller is placed over the other. Bow and arrow games like In Death will have worse tracking as it is harder to track the controllers when they are near the cameras.

Overall this seems a pretty big step backwards, and enthusiast VR gamers who want the best headset possible may well move to other manufacturers, like the new Valve headset when that releases with knuckles, if it's a significant improvement.
I've not seen the video yet so I'll check it out, but I will say that it was always pretty easy to throw the Oculus 3 camera setup too. From experience with WMR inside-out tracking, aiming down a scope is the biggest doubt that I'd like to see confirmed. I think the additional cameras will do a fair job of covering the other issues I encounter.

I'm not advocating for the Rift S by any stretch though. I can't bring myself to buy this, even if Stormlands and Defector turn out to be amazing games.

Soldato
I don't think it was clear cut that it was worse tracking in that tested video... They seemed to be pretty impressed with the tracking overall, and the passthrough plus feature along with easier setup might on balance make it a better solution overall, albeit with some more opportunities for occluding controllers. Really need to wait for not only a hands on but also a final product to determine how it compares - a lot might be able to be made up for by IMU tracking for the few seconds a controller would normally be occluded to the point where it's practically a non issue... or not. Time will tell!

Overall it's more or less what I was expecting, but I'm disappointed that it's 400 bucks... given the quest has 1 less camera, but a snapdragon, battery, OLED screen, hardware adjustable IPD etc I don't really see how they can justify charging the same in any way other than they just think the PC market will support the lower value proposition.

If they could have come in at 300 freedom units or near that I think this could have done great things for the PCVR market.

Will be interesting to see the new consoles if they bring VR - I imagine something similar to the Rift S with insight tracking would suit the console experience very well.

Soldato
Oculus have confirmed that Lenovo led the development on this headset, so it's not really a ground-up Oculus design, and it shows. Quest looks like an Oculus product, as does the Go. This has a completely different aesthetic. It seems more like a souped-up WMR device (except for the resolution).

I would like to try this out for comparison though. The god-rays on the Rift are awful, and I find the Go display and lenses much better all round except for the poor contrast. Also interested to see how comfortable it is. The Rift is very comfortable for me (at least when I got prescription lenses and cotton face covers for it), and I like the way I can slide it on or off easily.

Associate
I'll pass. Total disappointment as far as I'm concerned. The big killer for me is the LCD panel. I can look past a lot of stuff when it comes to panels, but LCD black levels just don't cut it for me in a HMD.

Associate
I'll pass. Total disappointment as far as I'm concerned. The big killer for me is the LCD panel. I can look past a lot of stuff when it comes to panels, but LCD black levels just don't cut it for me in a HMD.
Same. Elite Dangerous is my big VR game, and LCD black levels would be awful after the CV1's lovely dark OLED goodness.

Honestly, the Rift S just looks like a cheap WMR headset with an Oculus logo slapped on it. Not what I wanted at all.

Back
Top Bottom