1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rimworld - strategy base building sci-fi indie game

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by caff, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Woogie

Mobster

There is already a highly used character editor called PrepareCarefully. This allows you to pick the exact stats, perks, downsides as well as starting equipment of each colonist that you start with. If you are talking about while you are in the game I am not sure about that or the need for it. However if you are doing it because you can then cool, I wish you all the luck with it :)

2. AHarvey

Sgarrista

Yeah it's mainly a little project for me, probably jump back in to Python and use that. I have massive breaks in my coding and it's like starting over each time. :(

3. Woogie

Mobster

Wicked, Good luck and have fun then

4. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

I've only just started playing this as it runs fine on my surface when I'm away, a bit lost with it all at the moment even after the tutorial. I guess that's half the fun though, figuring things out for yourself.

5. muttclugg

Wise Guy

You're certainly left to get on with it, despite the tutorials. There's loads of stuff on YouTube which is worth a look though. Just be prepared to fail.....and fail.....and fail.....then nearly succeed.....only to fail again

6. Richard - London

Gangster

How are people finding the game? is it worth the £30?

7. MonkeyBasher

Gangster

As long as you accept the fact that from the start of the game it has 100% been designed for you to fail then it has hours and hours of playtime.
    If you research mods and add some that build on this (and don't just add crappy graphics packs or hairstyles) then it has even more hours.

8. tres

Soldato

Yes, very much so. Superb value for money.

9. Matmulder

Wise Guy

I was a total addict to this. Like, massive. I'm 38 now, and the last game I remember playing until 4am was Mass Effect 1 on release; I'm too old for that "oh crap, the suns coming up" malarky these days. I need my sleep.

But Rimworld broke me. I bought it just before christmas, and played until 4:30am. I've not played it for the last 3 months....but, like some filthy addict getting a free bump, I'm smacked right off my **** again and unable to function. Must complete that research so I can install carpets!

10. Jonny2284

Wise Guy

Yeah I have that problem a lot, most games I have no problem breaking away from but there's always something here.

"Just one one day, then the rice will be ready"
    "Just until the research is done and I can start cutting all those blocks"
    "Well now I've got blocks I can upgrade away from this wooden deathtrap"
    "Well might as well finish the perimeter wall now"
    "Only three days still spring starts, then I can start tommorow with a clean break"

And that kids, is why I'm tired as hell today.

11. mid_gen

Sgarrista

Just downloaded this last night, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Might sneak a look on my lunch break

12. Unseul

Wise Guy

If you're anything like me you won't even have decided which colonists to take by the end of your lunchbreak. Give yourself a good number of hours.

13. Jonny2284

Wise Guy

That bits easy, nutters and cannibals.

Then you'll never be left wanting for furniture, clothing or meat post raid.

14. bayo000

Mobster

Just get prepare carefully mod. Though self discipline is important to not give yourself all the best traits/ gear. :)

15. Unseul

Wise Guy

Started a new game about a week ago. It's a life destroyer! I've never actually "finished" trying again now, just normal difficulty with cassandra. A few quality of life mods installed. Got everyone in devilstrand clothing, flak vest and advanced/marine helmets. Just been drop pod raided, and my best all rounder was in the room, escapes around the corner, runs into someone with a poor wooden mace. Bop. Head completely gone and instakilled. I swear he had a helmet on, was it a fluke? Thankfully I'd cleared out the ancient evil not long ago, and got a mech resurrection serum, brought him back in moments, but it'd be nice to have another serum to fall back on...

16. Jonny2284

Wise Guy

A mace would be good against armour given it's blunt damage, but it'd still be a hell of a swing to kill him in one but is possible, Just checked the figures on the guy in my game with a marine helmet and while it offers great protection against sharp it only offers 40% or so against blunt, a mace can all but negate that protection, so yeah a good warrior could have certainly critted your guy.

If you keep chasing events on the main map it shouldn't be that difficult to find another serum, might even get lucky with a trader having one.

17. Unseul

Wise Guy

Just waiting for decent quests, they're all rescues, and I don't want to pick up new guys who may be useless.

18. Thesman106

Gangster

You could fix that with mods my guy

19. Smokey Deza

Wise Guy

Damn the Royalty expansion come out in Feb and no one said anything!

Quite good so far. Not really my theme but I like the quests which make it a bit more engaging if you've got 1000s of hours clocked.