RIP Windows Phone

@ Skeeter are u that bothered that theres people that like/prefer WP? because how your posting it seems like u are..

people can/should be able like/use/prefer whatever they want.

I've no idea, I'm not an app developer.

All I know is that almost the whole suite of Google apps is available on iOS, a competitor mobile OS from a competitor company, yet no Google apps are available on Windows Phone, also a competitor OS from a competitor company.

Lay the blame where you like. I know where I'd be looking though.

No, Apple are not seen as competitors on the mobile front.
They Don't have a search Engine.

MS do.

@ Skeeter are u that bothered that theres people that like/prefer WP? because how your posting it seems like u are..

people can/should be able like/use/prefer whatever they want.

People can like whatever they want. But to say WP is better is, quite simple, wrong.

I don't like iOS, but I don't think its a bad OS
I don't like WP because it is a bad OS
Theres large elements of Android I'm not fond of either

No, Apple are not seen as competitors on the mobile front.

You what now? Lol.

Is the iOS App and Android one made in HTML5 from the ground up?
MS have had a few goes at this with "Googles" help, along with G+ and Hangouts, each time Google have moved the Goal posts.

Microsoft haven't done themselves any favours:
We also understand that Google wanted full approval rights on Microsoft's YouTube app, a reasonable request given it owns the brand and wants to manage the way customers experience YouTube. Instead of waiting for Google's approval, Microsoft sent Google an updated app with ad support and immediately published the new application to the Windows Phone Store, poking the bear once again. Google responded by revoking an essential API key that Microsoft was using, blocking access to YouTube from the app. It seems that Microsoft made the bet that Google wouldn't want the bad publicity involved with pulling the API key. It lost that bet.

Sources at Google tell us that the company isn't happy with the way Microsoft has implemented YouTube ads, as there's no guarantee the correct ads will be served and tracked correctly. However, insiders at Microsoft tell us that Google has refused to assist Microsoft in implementing ads in the correct way, instead insisting that it uses the HTML5 APIs it knows Microsoft is unable to use right now. Google appears to be forcing Microsoft into a tricky situation; but it is one that Microsoft brought upon itself by teasing its users with a YouTube app that wasn't approved in the first place.

They've been told what they need to do to get access to the API.

People Hub
Offline Here Maps for anywhere
Here Drive
Here Transit
Metrotube.
GroupMe Chat
Prefer Edge Explorer
No Flash requirements.
Full Cortana Integration.
Full USB on the go.
Lumia Camera Pro , Refocus etc.
Live Tiles.
Continuim.

Was hoping for a bit more of an explanation on why he considers it the best OS rather than you posting a big list of features that are pretty much entirely matched or bettered by Android or iOS.

Anotger more specific question - why does my Lumia come with Messages and Messages+ which both appear to do the same thing? And why does it keep reinstalling Messages+ when I remove it?

People can like whatever they want. But to say WP is better is, quite simple, wrong.

You what now? Lol.

Google are more worried about what Bing could be, the more users on Windows Phone, the more input Bing gets, and the better it will become.
For everything else Google might do, their bread and butter is in Google search.
Ms is the only real competition in that sector, Apple have no search engine of their own, though they have moved to Bing now.

Microsoft haven't done themselves any favours:

They've been told what they need to do to get access to the API.

Hint, no one uses the HTML5 base in their Apps, and they certainly don't "force" anyone else to do so.
Seemed to be okay when the first App came out that Google gave MS the API ( google where actually working with them on it at this point), then they pulled, then MS went and revised it with the new API, Google didn't like that either, so asked them to make on that's just not possible.
And one that's not required in anyway for Android or iOS.

So in essence Google removed the API as a way to block an unsanctioned app that Microsoft published without Googles approval?

Yes, it looks like any 3rd party apps need to be made using the HTML5 API but Microsoft's browser doesn't support elements of the HTML5 spec so a functioning app can't be made.

Microsoft reverse engineered the native API and removed advertisements from before video playback and allowed people to download videos for offline use.

Microsoft then released a new update that still didn't conform with the ToS so Google pulled the API key MS were using.

Was hoping for a bit more of an explanation on why he considers it the best OS rather than you posting a big list of features that are pretty much entirely matched or bettered by Android or iOS.

I didn't say it was the best OS. You asked for a list form me.
Albeit a list you might have on other phones, but its the way the OS works and feels is why I MUCH prefer it over the others.

Yes, it looks like any 3rd party apps need to be made using the HTML5 API but Microsoft's browser doesn't support elements of the HTML5 spec so a functioning app can't be made.

Microsoft reverse engineered the native API and removed advertisements from before video playback and allowed people to download videos for offline use.

Microsoft then released a new update that still didn't conform with the ToS so Google pulled the API key MS were using.

So, like the CalDAV/CardDAV issue, the problem is Microsofts lack of support for technology, and not people just being mean to them?

No, they don't, no one else has to use them.
And even though they are available, no one likes using them.

I didn't say it was the best OS. You asked for a list form me.
Albeit a list you might have on other phones, but its the way the OS works and feels is why I MUCH prefer it over the others.

iOS I can understand as the UI is consistent, but you can't possibly have tried every UI implementation across Android to say you hate it in its entirety?

Google would make apps for Windows Phone if it would boost their reach enough but it won't. Nothing to do with not liking another platform. Indeed, Google generate a lot of revenue from ads on iOS. That's where their money cones from. They don't actually care about Android that much.

Google didn't like the idea of Microsoft making their apps for them which I think is fair enough. It's like Apple making Office for iOS.

Last edited:
iOS I can understand as the UI is consistent, but you can't possibly have tried every UI implementation across Android to say you hate it in its entirety?

Its implantation knows no bounds, I'm not wasting my time on having to look for one that I would have no need for. Thiers no reason for me to.

Well I'm pretty sure that iOS isn't using Flash, so it must be HTML5?

Not sure, pretty sure it would be, just like WP is not fully HTML5 compatible now, but Google wont give MS any official APis.

Just like SnapChat wont give anyone access to make any apps for WP.

Back
Top Bottom